Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Matt Cassel's future.

Where?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95vr4

Aug 7, 2008
I doubt Cassel will return NE next year.. So what's your thought about his future?

gamedaygator

Dec 13, 2008
I voted for the Pats because I think they will slap the franchise tag on him and over inflate his value. What will the Pats want for him - a 1st round pick or more? I think you could put any quarterback in the Pats system and he would have a winner season. Put Brady or Cassel in the Raiders or Lions or Browns offence and they would flop big. JMO.

95vr4

Aug 7, 2008
gamedaygator said:
I voted for the Pats because I think they will slap the franchise tag on him and over inflate his value. What will the Pats want for him - a 1st round pick or more? I think you could put any quarterback in the Pats system and he would have a winner season. Put Brady or Cassel in the Raiders or Lions or Browns offence and they would flop big. JMO.

I agree 99%, but Patriots will need to give him a 5-7 year deal worth x amount of money.. Vikings and Jets will push Cassel's value up, that's why I doubt Cassel will return to NE next year.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
I think he'll get franchised just as a safety measure if Brady isn't 100%. That way if someone still really wants him they get a first round pick, or if Brady comes back to form they can trade him.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
Another thing that has been mentioned is a team going after all three: McDaniels (head coach), Cassel (QB), and Pioli (GM/head of team of operations).

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
Did a little reading today and the Pats will be around $20 mill under the cap this year. Cassel would cost about 16 to franchise, leaving them a little wiggle room within the cap. It is not expected that they make any big moves this year because next year they will have to deal with signing Seymour, Mankins, Wilfork, and Gostkowski. Franchising Cassel this year makes a ton of sense, especially considering they could trade him once they see what Brady can do.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
With all the news of Brady not rehabbing well, he will be franchised. If Brady is fine, then he gets traded, if not he starts.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
cowboysrule48 said:
Why not just trade Brady? Cassel has proven he can win in that systen, and they would probably get more for Brady.

for the same reasons that the Celtics would never trade Larry Bird or the Red Sox would never trade David Ortiz. Brady is the Patriots.

Billy Packer

Aug 7, 2008
Tomlinson21RB said:
cowboysrule48 said:
Why not just trade Brady? Cassel has proven he can win in that systen, and they would probably get more for Brady.

for the same reasons that the Celtics would never trade Larry Bird or the Red Sox would never trade David Ortiz. Brady is the Patriots.

Besides - at this point Brady is damaged goods.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
Well, they did say that Tom Brady's 2009 season is still in question, so I'd hold onto him until Brady proves that he's back to form if I were the Patriots.

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
gamedaygator said:
Kliff Kingsbury, Rohan Davey, Michael Bishop were all backup projects similar to Cassel and failed miserably.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
KandKCards said:
gamedaygator said:
Kliff Kingsbury, Rohan Davey, Michael Bishop were all backup projects similar to Cassel and failed miserably.

+1

Sure the system allows good players to excel, but really what is the difference between Brady and Manning? Everyone loves Peyton, but once Brady got similar weapons to Manning he put up the same numbers that Manning put up. To say Brady is a product of the system just seems crazy to me.

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL
KandKCards said:
gamedaygator said:

And they have a combined 28 pass attempts in that offense, Kingsbury never throwing a pass for the Pats, and none of the three ever started a game for New England. I don't see how you can compare them when not a single one of them was given the opportunity that Cassel has. No one was going to get the chance until Brady got hurt. Saying they failed miserably because they never got a chance isn't exactly fair.

I agree with gamedaygator. While of course it does take a great amount of talent to play QB at this level successfully, I think you can put any QB in that system that he the necessary talent. I believe an average to above average QB can put up similar numbers with the Patriots that it would take perennial all-pro to put up on just an average team with an average coaching staff. I hope Cassel does leave NE, because I want to see what he can do under a different system, but until that happens, I will stand by my statement that he is a product of the system.

Members online

Latest posts