Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2009 Donruss Elite Blaster break

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RandomH

Since I'm too poor to bust a hobby box, I thought I would go with a blaster box. :lol:

The blasters were suppose to be in retail stores, but for some reason they weren't.

6 packs per box, 5 cards per pack. One Auto per box.

----Hits-----
Josh Phegley School Colors
Garrett Richards/Jamie Johnson College Ties
Nolan Arenado TOTC Autograph /844
Bill Bullock Throwback Threads Patch? /10 (I know his jerseys are /250 and the thing looks like a patch)

elite.jpg

Overall fun break. Glad that the auto wasn't horrible. Sucks that he has a Chrome auto ::facepalm:: . The Patch /10 was pretty cool too. Nice to get an extra hit. I wish these things were at Target so I could pick them up for 19.99.

thanks

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
RandomH said:
Overall fun break. Glad that the auto wasn't horrible. Sucks that he has a Chrome auto ::facepalm:: . The Patch /10 was pretty cool too. Nice to get an extra hit. I wish these things were at Target so I could pick them up for 19.99.

thanks

They would have been $29.99, atleast.

When Donruss/Panini makes blaster boxes of products that don't have a retail version, they cost $29.99.

I don't understand why everyone is selling these for $10 under retail cost, but whatever.

Nice Pulls!

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
vwnut13 said:
RandomH said:

thanks

When Donruss/Panini makes blaster boxes of products that don't have a retail version, they cost $29.99.

I don't understand why everyone is selling these for $10 under retail cost, but whatever.

Nice Pulls!
That is because he works at Target and can have someone scan a blaster but he takes this box and he even can get a discount :lol: :D

RandomH

Pine Tar said:
vwnut13 said:
RandomH said:

thanks

Nice Pulls!
That is because he works at Target and can have someone scan a blaster but he takes this box and he even can get a discount :lol: :D

I wish :lol:

TBTwinsFan- The base cards seem OK for TTM, if you baby powder them. Considering that many of these minor league guys don't have a lot of cards, I may send some out. They would have to sign in the crotch area though :lol: because that's pretty much the only area where an auto would work.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
RandomH said:
I wish :lol:

TBTwinsFan- The base cards seem OK for TTM, if you baby powder them. Considering that many of these minor league guys don't have a lot of cards, I may send some out. They would have to sign in the crotch area though :lol: because that's pretty much the only area where an auto would work.

Or... You could get a Lumocolor!

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
I watched over 90 retail boxes opened this Saturday. All but two of them had 2 hits in them. Most of those had two
autos. I saw cards that I have never seen in hobby boxes. These were supposed to be 20 dollar blasters but were
never released.

Kevin

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
schmidtfan20 said:
I watched over 90 retail boxes opened this Saturday. All but two of them had 2 hits in them. Most of those had two
autos. I saw cards that I have never seen in hobby boxes. These were supposed to be 20 dollar blasters but were
never released.

Kevin

Not a chance. $29.99

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
vwnut13 said:
schmidtfan20 said:
never released.

Kevin

Not a chance. $29.99

6 packs one auto for 30 dollars? 19.99 sounds closer.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
vwnut13 said:
schmidtfan20 said:
never released.

Kevin

Not a chance. $29.99
If they were supposed to be $30 people wouldn't sell them at $20. Profit margins aren't that high on cards. That would bascially mean people are selling a loaded product at cost. Not gunna happen...

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
schmidtfan20 said:
vwnut13 said:
schmidtfan20 said:
never released.

Kevin

Not a chance. $29.99

6 packs one auto for 30 dollars? 19.99 sounds closer.

When Target and Walmart sold DEEE single packs how much did they cost? $5.

Walmart sells $30 blaster boxes of Leaf Certified Football.
3 packs, 5 cards per pack. One hit per box. (Not even a guaranteed auto)

There is also a similar set up for a Leaf Basketball product.

UD has also done the same with Signature Stars. $30 guaranteed auto or GU (mostly autos though)

I say there is a 2% chance that this was supposed to be $20. I have never seen a blaster that guaranteed an auto (other than Sage and Tristar) for $20. Never.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
why would the guy selling these (and he knows they are 2 hits per), be selling them for 10 dollars below
SRP?

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
schmidtfan20 said:
why would the guy selling these (and he knows they are 2 hits per), be selling them for 10 dollars below
SRP?

Because they didn't know the MSRP.

He probably thought, "oh a blaster, it must be a $20 product."

These do contain two hits and there are hot boxes as well. Even more proof the MSRP was more than $20.

Next time you are at the card section of a retail store check it out. There will be $30 donruss blaster.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
vwnut13 said:
schmidtfan20 said:
SRP?

These do contain two hits and there are hot boxes as well. Even more proof the MSRP was more than $20.

Next time you are at the card section of a retail store check it out. There will be $30 donruss blaster.

You're ignoring the fact that the guy selling them has to purchase them from somewhere first. If it was a $30 retail, chances are it cost hit somewhere from $15-20 to buy it. It would make 0 sense then to sell it for $20. I've seen enough of these sell at $20-25 to know that not all of those people are taking a loss on that.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
bmc398 said:
vwnut13 said:
schmidtfan20 said:
SRP?

You're ignoring the fact that the guy selling them has to purchase them from somewhere first. If it was a $30 retail, chances are it cost hit somewhere from $15-20 to buy it. It would make 0 sense then to sell it for $20. I've seen enough of these sell at $20-25 to know that not all of those people are taking a loss on that.

There is someone on eBay selling the $30 Leaf Certified Football boxes in lots of 5 for $75. That is $15 a box. Why would he be selling $30 retail boxes for $15?

I don't even think Panini was going to release this product. From what I heard, they decided not to sell the retail blasters but someone caught wind that they had produced them. They inquired, and purchased them from Panini. What Panini was going to do with the boxes I don't know. Bust them and use them for replacments maybe.

These are, as far as I know, Hobby Packs. The odds are the same. Two hits per box. Some GU.

Hobby Box - 20 Packs - 6 Autos - $100
3 Blasters - 18 Packs - 5 autos and 1 GU - $90 or $60? (Which makes more sense?)

The MSRP for Hobby packs is $5 per pack. Therefore, the MSRP for Retail should be $30 ($5x6)

Why would they release a blasters that have a better "price-per-hit ratio" than the full on 20 pack hobby box? Would that make any sense?

The MSRP on these boxes was supposed to be $30. All signs point to that.
There is no way these were supposed to be $20 boxes. Zero, Zilch, Nada.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
vwnut13 said:
bmc398 said:
vwnut13 said:
schmidtfan20 said:
SRP?

There is someone on eBay selling the $30 Leaf Certified Football boxes in lots of 5 for $75. That is $15 a box. Why would he be selling $30 retail boxes for $15?

I don't even think Panini was going to release this product. From what I heard, they decided not to sell the retail blasters but someone caught wind that they had produced them. They inquired, and purchased them from Panini. What Panini was going to do with the boxes I don't know. Bust them and use them for replacments maybe.

These are, as far as I know, Hobby Packs. The odds are the same. Two hits per box. Some GU.

3 Blasters - 18 Packs - 5 autos and 1 GU - $90 or $60? (Which makes more sense?)

The MSRP for Hobby packs is $5 per pack. Therefore, the MSRP for Retail should be $30 ($5x6)

Why would they release a blasters that have a better "price-per-hit ratio" than the full on 20 pack hobby box? Would that make any sense?

All signs point against it...via the fact that nobody sells it for $30

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
bmc398 said:
vwnut13 said:
bmc398 said:
vwnut13 said:
schmidtfan20 said:
SRP?

The price someone sells something for ha ZERO indication of the MSRP.

Why is someone selling $30 blasters on eBay for $15.

You sir, are an idiot.

If you buy four blasters you get 8 hits.
If you buy one hobby box you get 6.

Both $80 according to you. Do you really think they would make it more worthwile to purchase blasters than hobby boxes. Not a chance.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
vwnut13 said:
bmc398 said:
vwnut13 said:
bmc398 said:
vwnut13 said:
[quote="schmidtfan20":3g8r3c9y]why would the guy selling these (and he knows they are 2 hits per), be selling them for 10 dollars below
SRP?

The price someone sells something for ha ZERO indication of the MSRP.

Why is someone selling $30 blasters on eBay for $15.

You sir, are an idiot.

If you buy four blasters you get 8 hits.
If you buy one hobby box you get 6.

Both $80 according to you. Do you really think they would make it more worthwile to purchase blasters than hobby boxes. Not a chance.[/quote:3g8r3c9y]

Um, they did and thats the whole reason that they never actually made it to retail stores.

Dealers realized the math didn't work out and complained so Panini stopped shipments to retail and sold them to distibutors instead. If they were supposed to be $30 boxes theres no reason for them not to hit the shelves with the same 6 hits then costing more, especially with a greater chance of those hits being more GU vs. autos in the blasters.

Was trying to have a constructive conversation instead of a name calling, 3rd grade internet fight. Thanks for blowing that.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
I sent a General Info request to panini about these boxes.

Hello,
There has recently been a release of 2009 Donruss Extra Elite Edition Baseball “Blaster” boxes containing six packs and guaranteeing an autograph.

I am wondering if the packs within these boxes are the same as hobby packs?

Were they meant to be released to retail stores or hobby stores? Both?

What was the MSRP going to be on these boxes?

Thanks for your time. I would really like to know more about these “blaster” boxes before I decide to purchase one.

Thanks

And their Reply...

Hi Michael,
The packs in the blaster boxes are hobby packs that were produced for retail. The SRP is $29.99 Thank you and have a great weekend.

Members online

Latest posts