Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

willie mays

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig Smith

Aug 13, 2008
Bemus Point, NY
You old timers might remember Gene McGarry going to NJ in 2003-04 and getting two Willie signatures on this original art work for me. The guys on the Beckett board at the time chipped in and paid for them. I think they were $90 or $100 each. The signature on the artwork is huge for sure.

bb5.jpg

JzWand

Jun 8, 2009
Burlington Ontario Canada
JoshHamilton said:
Willie Mays is a worthless piece of trash

WTH is wrong with you?

Have you ever even met him?

Realistically you know squat about him outside of his baseball achievements so take a pill and cool the jets!

Someone already said hes got poor eyesight and outside of signing his name, an 80 y/o man probably doesn't know or care much about how an auto looks or where its placed on an item.

Have a little more respect for people.

bowmanchromeandorr

May 23, 2010
Race City USA
here's my willie mays IP auto story (it was posted in beckett a couple months back also) in case you didnt see it in beckett:

when i was a kid (36 now) the giants had a AA team in Shreveport LA. all the good and great giants came thru there on their way up. anyway, my dad and i had season tickets. we went to a weeknight game and the captains had willie mays signing baseballs. he was very cordial. my dad made me go that night. i didnt want to go because there was something on tv i wanted to watch but i am glad he made me go because i would never have met Willie. the best part is he signed on the sweet spot of the ball. i still have my baseball on my bookcase and so does my father. anyway, there's my mays story.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
bowmanchromeandorr said:
here's my willie mays IP auto story (it was posted in beckett a couple months back also) in case you didnt see it in beckett:

when i was a kid (36 now) the giants had a AA team in Shreveport LA. all the good and great giants came thru there on their way up. anyway, my dad and i had season tickets. we went to a weeknight game and the captains had willie mays signing baseballs. he was very cordial. my dad made me go that night. i didnt want to go because there was something on tv i wanted to watch but i am glad he made me go because i would never have met Willie. the best part is he signed on the sweet spot of the ball. i still have my baseball on my bookcase and so does my father. anyway, there's my mays story.

Very nice story.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
autocut said:
BunchOBull said:
I have a feeling he didn't sign because it portrays him as a B'ham Black Baron. They'd have had better luck just titling it B'ham Barons.

That's not it because there are 2 other cards by Fleer that year that he didn't sign and he's in Giant's uniform.

Interesting. I only say that because I've never seen a Mays auto'd BBBs piece.

----------------------------------------

I think the personality issues that Mays is often known for is a combination of a lot of things. His age for one. Also, he seems a bit bitter, about several things...

- people profitting off his signature
- the salary gap between his generation and now
- race relations early in, and through, his career

I think of WM as the MLB's Jesse Jackson. A bit of a crusader, a chip on his shoulder...so on. Granted, Jackson is a whole other breed of worthless that Mays could never be, but the general talking point is similar.

I guess that makes Barry Bonds the MLBs Al Sharpton.

autocut

BunchOBull said:
autocut said:
BunchOBull said:
I have a feeling he didn't sign because it portrays him as a B'ham Black Baron. They'd have had better luck just titling it B'ham Barons.

That's not it because there are 2 other cards by Fleer that year that he didn't sign and he's in Giant's uniform.

Interesting. I only say that because I've never seen a Mays auto'd BBBs piece.

----------------------------------------

I think the personality issues that Mays is often known for is a combination of a lot of things. His age for one. Also, he seems a bit bitter, about several things...

- people profitting off his signature
- the salary gap between his generation and now
- race relations early in, and through, his career

I think of WM as the MLB's Jesse Jackson. A bit of a crusader, a chip on his shoulder...so on. Granted, Jackson is a whole other breed of worthless that Mays could never be, but the general talking point is similar.

I guess that makes Barry Bonds the MLBs Al Sharpton.

That would be something worth spending $300 on to get that Stitches in time card signed. Also, there are a lot of things that made Mays bitter. I interviewed Monte Irvin years ago who was Mays mentor. After the interview, we talked about a lot of things and Irvin had some valid points. Mays and Bonds have a lot of similarities.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
JoshHamilton said:

Would you care to expand your opinion in to something more than just a worthless, trolling statment? I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that you have a/some legitimate reason(s) as to why you posted this. And am also willing to assume you simply forgot to add said reason(s), and did not intentionally mean to troll the thread.

Having said that, and although this is a message board based on opinion and discussion, there is also a line between opinion and what you just did. Please be mindful of that and I await your clairification.

autocut

matfanofold said:
JoshHamilton said:

Would you care to expand your opinion in to something more than just a worthless, trolling statment? I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that you have a/some legitimate reason(s) as to why you posted this. And am also willing to assume you simply forgot to add said reason(s), and did not intentionally mean to troll the thread.

Having said that, and although this is a message board based on opinion and discussion, there is also a line between opinion and what you just did. Please be mindful of that and I await your clairification.

Probably something he's read or 3rd party information.

chromerookies

Aug 7, 2008
Madison, Ct.
I've actually met him 3 times in the past 3 years and various shows including Cooperstown and every time he was VERY nice and had a VERY tough time seeing where he was signing. I had to place the marker on the card to where I wanted him to sign and even with that he still ventured off the card. This is the last auto I got of him:

Mays1951BowmanAuto4-1.jpg

It was awesome meeting him and I hope to meet him again,
Dan

A_Pharis

I think there are going to be bad encounters, sure... but you have to imagine what it was like growing up this guy. It's hard to hide bitterness in old age. He's no fool. He knows what people do with the majority of his autos, and I think charging more for then more often discourages a quick buck being made.

If he charged $10 for something that could be sold for $310 on the aftermarket then he'd be swamped by people who could care less about the importance he had to the game. At least with charging $300, there's a better chance of people WANTING the autograph when they pony up the $$$.

Also, I bet he doesn't make much money otherwise. Give him a break.

sneekc

Feb 1, 2009
All In Cards said:
Flats Up to & Including 11x14, Baseballs $300
Flats Larger than 11x14 $350
Caps or Equipment other than H Webb Gloves, Bats or Jerseys $370
H Webb Gloves, Regular Bats $500
Jerseys, Jersey Numbers $700
Specialty Bats: Includes Louisville Slugger, Hillerich & Bradsby or Adirondack Bats $800

Willie will write Say Hey, not Say Hey Kid, Willie has the right to refuse to sign any item; TRISTAR or MAB is not responsible for any multisigned items, signing location, or pen color.

Inscription - One accomplishment per inscription up to 5 words, Max 3 per item. No personalizations. $125
what an *******

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
Anyone know why he will sign "say hey" but not "say hey kid" as an inscription? I have seen that in his signing "rules" for many years now and have always wondered why.

yanxyanx

Sep 13, 2008
Riverdale, NY
I have a bigger problem with Bernie Williams charge $160 for a photo at the East Coast National than this. Willie Mays is arguably the greatest living ballplayer. The prices are high, but if you want a cheap auto, than just go to ebay (you can get a PSA/DNA ball for around $100).

As a side note, Willie Mays owns the penthouse suite in the apartment I live in in Riverdale, NY. I have not seen him yet, but from what I hear, he is nothing but a gentleman.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I see where Willie is coming from, and I think it's good he charges so much.

While winning the ROY in 1951, his salary was $5,000!!!

When he won MVP in 1954, his salary was $12,500.

When he won MVP in 1965, his salary was ~$105,000.

The highest salary he ever received was $180,000.

During his entire 22 year career, he made ~$2,162,500

That's about a million dollars for every 10 years of playing. This was just about the greatest player on earth.

And now little guys, who are decent but it would be laughable to consider them the greatest of all time... these little guys make $25,000,000 each year.

Think about it... they pay Ryan Howard the equivilent of Willie May's entire career salary every 3 weeks or so. Every 3 weeks, Ryan Howard makes as much as Willie did in 22 years. And Ryan Howard is no Willie Mays. I'll just leave it at that. Well, I should mention that Ryan has struck out more times in his first 7 years (985) than Willie did in his first 16 years (974). :eek: And Ryan still has the rest of the year to increase his lead! :eek: :lol: :eek:

Would that not make you bitter?

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
RL24 said:
I see where Willie is coming from, and I think it's good he charges so much.

While winning the ROY in 1951, his salary was $5,000!!!

When he won MVP in 1954, his salary was $12,500.

When he won MVP in 1965, his salary was ~$105,000.

The highest salary he ever received was $180,000.

During his entire 22 year career, he made ~$2,162,500

That's about a million dollars for every 10 years of playing. This was just about the greatest player on earth.

And now little guys, who are decent but it would be laughable to consider them the greatest of all time... these little guys make $25,000,000 each year.

Think about it... they pay Ryan Howard the equivilent of Willie May's entire career salary every 3 weeks or so. Every 3 weeks, Ryan Howard makes as much as Willie did in 22 years. And Ryan Howard is no Willie Mays. I'll just leave it at that. Well, I should mention that Ryan has struck out more times in his first 7 years (985) than Willie did in his first 16 years (974). :eek: And Ryan still has the rest of the year to increase his lead! :eek: :lol: :eek:

Would that not make you bitter?

That's not chump change, either:

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi

What cost $2162500 in 1965 would cost $14551082.52 in 2009.

Also, if you were to buy exactly the same products in 2009 and 1965,
they would cost you $2162500 and $314742.45 respectively.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I dont think people have a problem with the prices (as you can see by the lines for his autographs)

People have a problem with his signing instructions/requirements

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
JzWand said:
JoshHamilton said:

WTH is wrong with you?

Have you ever even met him?

Realistically you know squat about him outside of his baseball achievements so take a pill and cool the jets!

Someone already said hes got poor eyesight and outside of signing his name, an 80 y/o man probably doesn't know or care much about how an auto looks or where its placed on an item.

Have a little more respect for people.

Actually, *******. I have met him.

I was 14 (so '94 or '95, I don't remember which). He was signing at a show and my dad took me to get his autograph. I think he was charging $65, which was still high for the time. I asked him to personalize the photo "To Will" which he refused. Ok, whatever. My dad had a polaroid so I walked to the other side of the table while asking if he'd pose for a photo with me. It would take like two seconds of his time. He said "No, get the hell away from me kid." I was at a show several years later and while I didn't get an autograph, I talked to a few people who did and they all thought he was a rude ********

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
A_Pharis said:
I think there are going to be bad encounters, sure... but you have to imagine what it was like growing up this guy. It's hard to hide bitterness in old age. He's no fool. He knows what people do with the majority of his autos, and I think charging more for then more often discourages a quick buck being made.

If he charged $10 for something that could be sold for $310 on the aftermarket then he'd be swamped by people who could care less about the importance he had to the game. At least with charging $300, there's a better chance of people WANTING the autograph when they pony up the $$$.

Also, I bet he doesn't make much money otherwise. Give him a break.

I was with you on this until I remembered the couple of occasions I was fortunate enought to meet Stan Musial. Despite being very ill he was absolutely wonderful. It should be implied that if you are going to accept a promoter’s money you should not be a dick. I realize that on any given day any ballplayer can be a turd but players like Mays and Bonds have way more horror stories associated with them than most others... it is sad.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Stan Musial was one of the nicest guys I've ever met. He was signing at a show in '91 with Mickey Mantle and Ryan Klesko.

I paid $10 for Klesko's autograph. I didn't want to pony up the extra $2 for Mantle. Real smart move

Members online

Latest posts