Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Official Error and Variation Discussion/Reference Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sschauer

Aug 7, 2008
Covington, KY
tpeichel said:
1984 O'Connell & Sons Ink First Series Variations. I'm making a best guess here, but what I think may have happened is that he printed the first series and then went back and started doing additional series. When he had finished, people started asking for complete sets, so he needed to go back and reprint the first series because they were all gone. At that point he decided to make some improvements. Almost all of the cards with a red background had the standard black print replaced with black print surrounded by a white highlight, a technique he used throughout subsequent series.

Probably very true I've hear there were 50 of the first series variation made and 2000 of the regular ones that was from a source that talked to O'Connell directly.

sschauer

Aug 7, 2008
Covington, KY
tpeichel said:
dietdew said:
sschauer said:
And even more

1978 Sportcaster trademark line 3 variation not sure if whole set or just for Rose

back copyright Editionsa Rencontre, S.A., Lausanne
back copyright Editionsa Rencontre, S.A., Lausanne A
back copyright Editio-Services S.A., Geneva B

1978SportscasterBack123.jpg

sportcastercb-1.jpg

I just found this one with a "C" in the trademark line. Date says 1979.

rod33b-1-1.jpg

Same card. No letter, but seems to have 1978 as the date.

They were printed over three different years so you'll see some date 1977, others 1978, and the really tough ones, 1979. I'd only count the variation if it was different within the same year.

So does each card only have 1 year or do I need to start looking for another variation the 78 date and or 79 date. Not sure I want the answer as it a pain to ask for so many back scans for a cheap card. :}

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
sschauer said:
tpeichel said:
1984 O'Connell & Sons Ink First Series Variations. I'm making a best guess here, but what I think may have happened is that he printed the first series and then went back and started doing additional series. When he had finished, people started asking for complete sets, so he needed to go back and reprint the first series because they were all gone. At that point he decided to make some improvements. Almost all of the cards with a red background had the standard black print replaced with black print surrounded by a white highlight, a technique he used throughout subsequent series.

Probably very true I've hear there were 50 of the first series variation made and 2000 of the regular ones that was from a source that talked to O'Connell directly.

Wow, only 50? Much rarer than I thought.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Curious as to whether this Dunston RC "variation" can be considered a legit variation. Two years ago I picked up a whole mess of early 80's Donruss, which had around 25 Dunston RCs. A few of them, maybe 7 or 8, had that black "scar" mark just to the left of his name. I have no idea what I ended up doing with the dupes, I just have one copy of the "scar" and one of the regular. The fact that an unsorted lot (from multiple original sources) had a few makes me think it might be more than just a one-off printing mark.

I remember reading about the Koosman "Half J" a while ago, didn't know I had one. Are they anything worthwhile?

img430.jpg

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
How about this?
1999 Fleer E-X Rickey Purple variation (and the common orange). Wasnt there rumors or print that Fleer "messed up" on a small number of cards from this set by printing them with wrong color?

Its listed on the bay now and Id like to verify the info.
$(KGrHqMOKpgE5Y3E5KefBOcWTfhUQQ~~60_12.JPG

dietdew

Apr 29, 2010
89pucks.jpg

I saw the two listings for this card but thought I'd post anyway. The bottom who cards are just victims of the yellow (left card) and black (right) not hitting the card correctly. The top three seem to all be different variations though. The right and left cards seem to match the listed Puckett variations, but the middle one also has a grey dot by the ear and a light grey streak under the ear.

30107383-578e-4bfa-9eea-5475bc3baaee.jpg

This one might match the bottom right from the first scan. It does not display either white patch in the blue banner.

Jan 14, 2009
Here is a variation (though not an error) that I've only recent discovered myself though I imagine the Cubs and Kerry Wood guys have known all about it for years now:

6216066602_17a6a94836.jpg

1998 Collector's Choice Kerry Wood #204A (it's actually numbered 204A)

The card replaced Phillies player Tony Barron #204, apparently issued in factory sets only. I'd love to find out the logic behind the numbering as it's smack in the middle of the Phillies section and far from the Rookie Class subset it belongs to.

sabrgeek

Apr 10, 2010
Let's try this post again

I have been asked and will be wriiting occassional blog entries for this site as a way of re-establishing my e and v column from my Beckett days.

If you have anything to add or want to alert me to; please email me at [email protected] (with a scan to verify the e and v if not catalogued)

I will be keeping those and be sending in articles in the future

Regards
Rich Klein

Jan 14, 2009
Here are a few recent findings that may affect a large portion of 80s/90s player collectors:

1994 Upper Deck Electric Diamond "Fantasy Team" subset cards can be found in three varieties:

Bronze foil lettering for "Electric Diamond"

Prismatic-silver foil lettering for "Electric Diamond" with 'TM' between the words Electric and Diamond.

Prismatic-silver foil lettering for "Electric Diamond" without 'TM' between the words Electric and Diamond.

1993 Upper Deck Future Heroes Inserts have two different placements for the gold signature on front.

1993 Topps Black Gold cards have two distinct varieties:

Flat gold foil on front

Prismatic gold foil on front

Check out my recent blogs on this stuff for examples, theories and facts in small doses:

http://junkwaxgems.wordpress.com/

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
jacksoncoupage said:
Here are a few recent findings that may affect a large portion of 80s/90s player collectors:
Flat gold foil on front
Check out my recent blogs on this stuff for examples, theories and facts in small doses:

So on the Black Gold, is the variation just no the redemption cards or does it extend to the actual player cards, as well?

Jan 14, 2009
DaClyde said:
jacksoncoupage said:
Flat gold foil on front

So on the Black Gold, is the variation just no the redemption cards or does it extend to the actual player cards, as well?

I've seen a few of the individual players, Eric Karros and Will Clark comes to mind. Have yet to find a Robin Ventura. My theory is that Topps probably used the errant, "flat" foil sheeting for a small batch of redemption sets as the in-hand examples I've had are all redeemed (aka "certified") winner cards. Although, it's entirely possible that some made their way into packs as well.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Hey JC,

i posted this on CU, but it fits here as well...

6189703386_63c4a70fb0.jpg

A. Visible face
B. Blacked-out face/arms, pink stripe along helmet
C. Blacked-out face/arms, no stripe along helmet

i just pulled a "B" out of a factory set. The Knight was the corrected version, no scar or white-out visable

Jan 14, 2009
Some new discoveries over the weekend:

1990 Upper Deck Cal Ripken Jr.

6255551434_6ba873b29f.jpg

Cal's position has been moved from low in the box to a centered orientation in suit with the rest of the set. The guy who recently opened several case of 1990 UD high # in search of the Mike Witt card (and found and graded a copy getting a 10) also discovered that several of the high # subjects can be found with shifted positions on front. After pouring over 30 copies of Cal's card, I noticed the distinct change.

1990 Upper Deck Ozzie Smith

6255020655_fd2e8a9a2c.jpg

Ozzie's card uses two different fonts/sizes for his position (also noticed that all copies appear to have that magenta dot in the corner). I only found the one copy with the shorter, fatter font out of my 7 copies.

1990 Fleer Kirby Puckett / Bo Jackson

6255019843_2462a38a45.jpg

A diagonal black line through the photo and border can be found on some copies. I'm not sure why I had so many of this card, but in 37 copies, I only found two.

1989 Fleer Puckett / Davis

6255552416_39c780bddc.jpg

This actually popped out of an "error" box that held the Ripken FF and Randy Marlboro (red tint). Three little red curved lines above the Fleer logo. Checked the other ten copies I had and this was the only one.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
Anyone ever heard/seen/reported an printing variation on 1991 Upper Deck Mike Lacoss / Bob Walk cards? I was just going through a carton of sorted 1991 Upper Deck cards, and may have found a variation on them (red ink on the bottom of the front). I'll try to scan and post copies of them tonight.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts