Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Official Error and Variation Discussion/Reference Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
This fits what I just found. I have around 1000 1990 Fleer cards, and only 48 have the "U.S.A" on the back, which equates to three packs and change. I highly suspect most of the cards were from repacks, as they were somewhat brighter than most of the cards I opened back in 1990, which have aged a bit.

I haven't seen any 1990's, but for all the other years, it looks like they used a different card stock for the U.S.A. vs U.S.A - same thing every year, one is substantially more vibrant and "white" than the other - every version of each matches up perfectly. It would make sense. Most likely different printing locations.

ragtop12

Jan 15, 2015
Could the U.S.A be from a factory set possibly? Did you get all of your Fleer from packs? If so, your guess is probably correct with repacks.

This fits what I just found. I have around 1000 1990 Fleer cards, and only 48 have the "U.S.A" on the back, which equates to three packs and change. I highly suspect most of the cards were from repacks, as they were somewhat brighter than most of the cards I opened back in 1990, which have aged a bit.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Could the U.S.A be from a factory set possibly? Did you get all of your Fleer from packs? If so, your guess is probably correct with repacks.

The vast majority came from packs from back in 1990. I bought a ton of packs in 1990 trying to score my Dave Winfield cards (too dumb to just pick up singles from a dealer, I guess), but never had a factory set. Got a few in repacks a few years back when KMart still had the 12 packs for $9.99 boxes.

Jan 14, 2009

No, the U.S.A (without last period) versions come from the green poly packs. Which I believe are retail jumbos and they contained the Soaring Stars inserts. As far as I recall, this version was not found in any other packaging type. This is the result of Fleer using a different printing facility for those cards. I opened an extraordinary amount of 1990 Fleer in the early 2000's and at one time had documented all box/case numbers and what product codes and which variations, errors were pulled from each. I am still convinced there are more variations to be discovered in this set.

HawkeyeFan

Jan 13, 2012
Iowa
Does anyone know if Griffey is the only photo crop variation in this set, or is one (right) a promo of some sort?
attachment.php

Also, a scan of a 1996 Fleer non glossy silver foil (left) and tiffany. Are the silver and gold foils and tiffany the only three versions of this card? Thanks
attachment.php

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
While there isn't typically much interest in TCMA cards from modern player collectors, it turns out there are lots of variations among the sets they produced. Most of the variations are due to a run of reprints they did in 1986-1987. I just put up a blog post about it if anyone is interested. I'm hoping Andrew Aronstein will chime in over on Net54 for fact checking.

Undocumented Variations: TCMA Collector's Kit Reprints

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
While there isn't typically much interest in TCMA cards from modern player collectors, it turns out there are lots of variations among the sets they produced. Most of the variations are due to a run of reprints they did in 1986-1987. I just put up a blog post about it if anyone is interested. I'm hoping Andrew Aronstein will chime in over on Net54 for fact checking.

Wait - so those nifty robin yount and dennis eckersley rookie cards from tcma (or maybe it is sspc and i'm getting all mixed up) could have been printed in 1987?

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Wait - so those nifty robin yount and dennis eckersley rookie cards from tcma (or maybe it is sspc and i'm getting all mixed up) could have been printed in 1987?

You're thinking of SSPC. And while it was the same company, the SSPC cards were not reprinted. However, there are photo cropping & card stock variations of pretty much every card in the SSPC set that are easy to spot on COMC. The cards TCMA reprinted were a small group of their minor league issues, and cards from many of their historical sets.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI

As soon as I started reading about the kits, I knew exactly what cards you were talking about. I had several of those, especially the minor league ones. A while back, I picked up a ton of TCMAs, and noticed some of these variations in the lot, so this answers a lot of questions. Also means I need to be a bit more careful when checking my dupes, there are a few players I collect on that list!

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I was going through my partial Yankees team set of 1991 Topps Desert Shield cards and saw some with the brighter red print on the 40th Anniversary on back. I know that's a parallel in the regular Topps but were they on the DS cards as well?

mouschi

May 18, 2012
I was going through my partial Yankees team set of 1991 Topps Desert Shield cards and saw some with the brighter red print on the 40th Anniversary on back. I know that's a parallel in the regular Topps but were they on the DS cards as well?

Both my canseco are very faded. They say c*at the bottom. ...what do your bright ones say?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Here is my sample scan and it just happens to be your boy's bro. These are regular cards though, not the DS cards.

saucywombat

Feb 4, 2010
Folly Beach, SC

This would make sense because the "bold" back red variations only appeared on the A and B sheets from regular issue Topps so we are seeing the same thing with the DS cards as well.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
I have never seen this discussed anywhere else but there are two different photo crops for the 1992 Bowman foil Manny Ramirez RC. Not sure if there are other variations in this set. Any insights are appreciated.
1992_Bowman_Foil_zps9rwkmvap.jpg

ragtop12

Jan 15, 2015
I do believe all non-SP foils have this variation in this set.
I have never seen this discussed anywhere else but there are two different photo crops for the 1992 Bowman foil Manny Ramirez RC. Not sure if there are other variations in this set. Any insights are appreciated.
1992_Bowman_Foil_zps9rwkmvap.jpg

Jan 14, 2009
Hmm. Odd. Thanks.

Sent from my XT1080 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

This has been discussed often across a handful of collecting boards and these were frequently sold on ebay ca. 2004-2006. There is a recent thread on the collectors universe boards where a lot of new info has surfaced.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Has anyone mentioned the 1989 upper deck versions with no hologram on the back?

Members online

Latest posts