User Tag List

Page 4 of 58 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Error and Variation Discussion/Reference Thread

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Official Error and Variation Discussion/Reference Thread

ha reminds me of one of my all time favorite errors...wrong sport completely (mcgwire on a hockey card!)

Mark McGwire Collector
    Current mini set chases:
    1998 Tek Diffractors (need 41 patterns)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Blue (86)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Gold (5,8,23,50,59,62,65,77)
    1999 Tek Gold /10 (7A pattern: 24), (7B patterns: 4, 28)
    2014 Tek (Black/White Auto Proof /1) and (any remaining unique buybacks)
    1999 Ultimate Victory Parallels (151, 152)
    1998 Donruss Crusade Purple Samples/Prototypes (two different, See examples here)
    View Collection: 5600+ unique cards
    View Full Statistics
    Need List

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another one I got a hold of (found front and back of this error)

Mark McGwire Collector
    Current mini set chases:
    1998 Donruss Crusade Purple Samples/Prototypes (two different, See examples here)
    View Full Statistics
    Need List

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way, these types of cards I posted won't go on the list. We're looking for setwide errors, not individual!
    Mark McGwire Collector
    Current mini set chases:
    View Full Statistics
    Need List

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by onionring9
    By the way, these types of cards I posted won't go on the list. We're looking for setwide errors, not individual!

Eh...I count my bagwells different than most.I always list a different card if it is fact different.There may not be many of these errors or there may be a ton but in my mind...either way...its a legit card and a legit error so i count it as a different card.This is not a a common occurrence and the ones like the leaf where a super minor detail is different is not something I count.For me it has to be completely different.Of course I am not networking like you so I don't have anybody else to compare notes with although I think I'd like to pick your brain on a few items I have eventually when I get my crap sorted out.There is one other Bagwell super collector(by super collector I mean a person who still avidly collects him and keeps up with all of his stuff out there) that I know of and I haven't spoken to him much.If he ever decided to sell his collection...and I had some available funds...I could easily be at around 98% or 99% completion.This would even include oddballs not listed as I already have around 150 or 200 not listed by beckett.Most of them being star but not all.
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell all day every day!
    Current Jeff Bagwell count: 4,637 different cards!
    Also collecting Jerry Stackhouse! 751 different cards!
    Also collecting Jack Lambert and football players from all Texas colleges!

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by predatorkj

Eh...I count my bagwells different than most.I always list a different card if it is fact different.There may not be many of these errors or there may be a ton but in my mind...either way...its a legit card and a legit error so i count it as a different card.This is not a a common occurrence and the ones like the leaf where a super minor detail is different is not something I count.For me it has to be completely different.Of course I am not networking like you so I don't have anybody else to compare notes with although I think I'd like to pick your brain on a few items I have eventually when I get my crap sorted out.There is one other Bagwell super collector(by super collector I mean a person who still avidly collects him and keeps up with all of his stuff out there) that I know of and I haven't spoken to him much.If he ever decided to sell his collection...and I had some available funds...I could easily be at around 98% or 99% completion.This would even include oddballs not listed as I already have around 150 or 200 not listed by beckett.Most of them being star but not all.
    We actually have two lists, "cards only" and "masterlist". These cards which are unknown printer malfunctions only go on the masterlist. They are counted different, but not as a "variation" or "widespread error". We use the "cards only" as the "must have" checklist of cards and the masterlist to list 'oops' cards or tins or keychains, etc.
    Mark McGwire Collector
    Current mini set chases:
    View Full Statistics
    Need List

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We actually have two lists, "cards only" and "masterlist". These cards which are unknown printer malfunctions only go on the masterlist. They are counted different, but not as a "variation" or "widespread error". We use the "cards only" as the "must have" checklist of cards and the masterlist to list 'oops' cards or tins or keychains, etc.

Yeah but are you referencing the donruss preferred tins or something else.Last I checked those were on the beckett list and I would at the very least take that as a cards list although it is not a card.Also the old tops triple headers...I am not sure if Mac has a ball from that set but things like that I list.Even the McFarlanes I list.For instance...SLU's are in the beckett list but they only list the cards that came with the SLU's if I am correct.But since I only have a few cards out of the package...I just count the SLU's I have since I have all of Bagwell's SLU's and that way I don't have to go chasing after the individual cards from already opened up figurines.I technically have all of the cards anyway.They are just still sealed in the original packaging.

I do feel bad for you though because having a player from the mid 80's- the mid 90's is tough.Thats when cards were the most popular in my opinion and it seemed everybody and their brother was making baseball cards.Ceral manufactures , k-mart, woolworths...you name it.Poor Bouwob is still looking for some Nolan Ryans that were in those 25 cent machines available locally in Texas for his Nolan Ryan collection.I think i found one of them for him but I was never quite sure if it was what he needed or not.Hell...even whataburger made a Nolan Ryan set.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah but are you referencing the donruss preferred tins or something else.Last I checked those were on the beckett list and I would at the very least take that as a cards list although it is not a card.
    I bolded our huge difference.

We deviated from beckett long ago because their list was not remotely complete or even correct. We have more knowledge as a group than beckett does on McGwire cards and variations. We don't really care if beckett lists it because beckett isn't the standard for us (though it helped us tremendously and still does). In our minds, (taking the preferred tins as an example), we look at it and say it's a tin, not a card so we omit if from the cards only list. That doesn't mean we don't collect it because it's on the master list and not the cards only list. Most of us grab everything we can get our hands on (I collect them as well). But that's what the masterlist is for (everything that isn't a card or resemble one). Granted there's some gray area, but for keychains, yoyos, etc it's obvious which list it belongs in for us.
    Mark McGwire Collector
    Current mini set chases:
    View Full Statistics
    Need List

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah but are you referencing the donruss preferred tins or something else.Last I checked those were on the beckett list and I would at the very least take that as a cards list although it is not a card.
    I bolded our huge difference.

We deviated from beckett long ago because their list was not remotely complete or even correct. We have more knowledge as a group than beckett does on McGwire cards and variations. We don't really care if beckett lists it because beckett isn't the standard for us (though it helped us tremendously and still does). In our minds, (taking the preferred tins as an example), we look at it and say it's a tin, not a card so we omit if from the cards only list. That doesn't mean we don't collect it because it's on the master list and not the cards only list. Most of us grab everything we can get our hands on (I collect them as well). But that's what the masterlist is for (everything that isn't a card or resemble one). Granted there's some gray area, but for keychains, yoyos, etc it's obvious which list it belongs in for us.

Did they make any Big Mac pogs?If so...which list would you classify that in.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did they make any Big Mac pogs?If so...which list would you classify that in.
    Nope no pogs, though I kind of wish they did!

We should probably stop talking about this though on this thread because we're ruining the OP
    Mark McGwire Collector
    Current mini set chases:
    View Full Statistics
    Need List

theplasticman
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any new stuff from anyone?
    COMC listings: theplasticman

Super Moderator metallicalex777's Avatar
     metallicaalex777
     metallicalex777
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys...got this from a contest win late last year. Anybody know the story/print run of this Nolan Ryan error card? It's Nolan Ryan on the front (obviously) with a different player on the back:

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys!!!

Alex
    King Felix Hernandez Collector!!!

My Felix Hernandez PC:
    Alex Alex's (metallicalex777) PC - Felix Hernandez Album

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going through a box of 89 Donruss i got last weekend,and i have 2 copies of Biggio's RC.One with period after inc & one without.If any Biggio's collectors need them.Send me a pm.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/93363224@N05/

As of July 20,2010 [I WONT use Paypal Gift Option for any reason!]

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone ever verified the existence of a 2002 Topps Albert Pujols with the correct photo on back? I have never seen one. I believe the photo was corrected for Opening Day and Chrome, but not the base set.
    HOF auto collector - I'm up to 258 different in my collection (used to have a photobucket link here, but photobucket sucks)

GO ROCKIES!

lanlord99
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Bombjack
    Has anyone ever verified the existence of a 2002 Topps Albert Pujols with the correct photo on back? I have never seen one. I believe the photo was corrected for Opening Day and Chrome, but not the base set.
    Rich Klein, formerly of Beckett, use to write an error & variation article. A few years ago, he wrote about the 2002 Topps Albert Pujols and included a picture from a dealer who first discovered it. If I remember correctly, the dealer said that the corrected versions supposedly came from the last print run of blue factory sets, also called Holiday sets. Only a few corrected cards were found by the dealer as most were still the error version. I would guess that the corrected Pujols could be tougher to find than the 1987 Donruss Opening Day Barry Bonds/Johnny Ray error. We need someone to open a case of 2002 Topps Blue Factory sets to actually test this. Maybe we could do a group buy, if you could actually find a case.

Senior Member MartinFFcollector's Avatar
     1989_fleer_bill_ripken_collector
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KLARNOLD
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Bombjack
    Rich Klein, formerly of Beckett, use to write an error & variation article. A few years ago, he wrote about the 2002 Topps Albert Pujols and included a picture from a dealer who first discovered it. If I remember correctly, the dealer said that the corrected versions supposedly came from the last print run of blue factory sets, also called Holiday sets. Only a few corrected cards were found by the dealer as most were still the error version. I would guess that the corrected Pujols could be tougher to find than the 1987 Donruss Opening Day Barry Bonds/Johnny Ray error. We need someone to open a case of 2002 Topps Blue Factory sets to actually test this. Maybe we could do a group buy, if you could actually find a case.
    Found a Blue case. $500 plus around $60 shipping.

Page 4 of 58 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast