Thread: Official Error and Variation Discussion/Reference Thread

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post
    I thought these were noted on the first page but looks like they aren't.

1988 Topps Big is noteworthy since many players have more than two versions. Example: A* or B* but sometimes also *B* or poorly airbrushed portions of code, duplicated copyright lines, etc.

1989 Topps Big is * or **

1990 Topps Big is A* or B*, C* or D*
    There is also a 1990 Topps Big E* and F*
    Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
    There is also a 1990 Topps Big E* and F*
    Yes, correct. I should have added an etc to that.

For those confused by this or needing further clarification, a card with A* before the copyright can also be found with B* but will not be found with C* D* E* or F*. Cards with C* can be found only with D*, E* only with F*.
    https://junkwaxgems.wordpress.com/ My Error & Variation blog, focusing on the little-known rarities of the junk era.

https://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr My COMC account, focusing on oddball, variations and promos.

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some late 80's player collectors may recognize these JJ Nissen / Holsum Bread / Schaefer's / Rainer Farms issue. Early in production, the manufacturer mistakenly pictured Vance Law on Mark Grace's card. He's the only one with an error like this. It's taken me 18 years, but I think I've finally found all the different combinations of these issues. The JJ Nissen Vance Law card, and the red back Holsum Vance Law card are extremely tough finds.

1989 Nissen Vance Law Error

1989 Nissen Mark Grace Corrected

1989 Holsum Discs Vance Law Error Red Back

1989 Holsum Discs Vance Law Error White Back

1989 Holsum Discs Mark Grace Corrected

1989 Holsum Schafer's Vance Law Error

1989 Holsum Schafer's Discs Mark Grace Corrected

1989 Rainer Farm's Discs Mark Grace

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gracecollector View Post
    Some late 80's player collectors may recognize these JJ Nissen / Holsum Bread / Schaefer's / Rainer Farms issue. Early in production, the manufacturer mistakenly pictured Vance Law on Mark Grace's card. He's the only one with an error like this. It's taken me 18 years, but I think I've finally found all the different combinations of these issues. The JJ Nissen Vance Law card, and the red back Holsum Vance Law card are extremely tough finds.

1989 Nissen Vance Law Error

1989 Nissen Mark Grace Corrected

1989 Holsum Discs Vance Law Error Red Back

1989 Holsum Discs Vance Law Error White Back

1989 Holsum Discs Mark Grace Corrected

1989 Holsum Schafer's Vance Law Error

1989 Holsum Schafer's Discs Mark Grace Corrected

1989 Rainer Farm's Discs Mark Grace
    Sweet! Do all holsum's have a red back variation?
    Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on putting all those together. I love oddball cards, and variations, so it doesn't get much better than oddball variations

Quote Originally Posted by gracecollector View Post
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
    Sweet! Do all holsum's have a red back variation?
    Tanner, that I don't know. I did a web search but found no info. Guy I bought it from said less than 25 were made - but not sure if that was just the Grace/Law or the whole set, or if he had any factual basis for that population.

cmcjr99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    trying to get a few more of my old 90's insert albums updated tonight and figured i'd come here to post about another foil variation that i've known about for years but have never found mentioned anywhere....

1992 studio heritage inserts....i don't know if this variation affects the entire set , but i do have 3 different cards that feature silver foil (or perhaps it may be better described as a VERY light gold) instead of the normal bronze (or copper) foil....

i have both the regular and silver versions of wade boggs and darryl strawberry so i KNOW that these cards have more than one version...i have ONLY the silver version for ryne sandberg , and ONLY the basic bronze version for other players in the set....

anyone else have any of these or at least any information on them ? intentional ? accidental ? rare ?

i'll try to add scans in the near future.....
    I collect any and all South Carolina Gamec0cks in any sport including players and coaches .
    Master set projects
    football : 2000 Finest , 2001 Bowman's Best , 2004 Fleer Tradition`, and 2017 Donruss
    baseball : 2002 Topps Chrome and 2007 Topps
    Claude's Desperate Plea for Help After Dad's Death (pay pal pool)

cmcjr99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    annnnd.....another one i was unaware of until just a few minutes ago.....

1993 leaf gold rookies.....was about to post a few of my duplicates in one of my inserts-for-sale threads when i discovered a handful with silver foil instead of the usual gold...the foil variation is incredibly easy to spot and affects all the foil on the card front : the leaf logo including the year stamped within the ribbon along with the horizontal bars above and below the nameplate near the bottom.....

i'll have to dig out my set to see if there are any more , but for now i have these with silver foil in hand :

11 kevin rogers
    14 phil hiatt
    18 benji gil
    20 darrell sherman

i'll ak my usual question(s) - anyone else have any of these or at least any information on which cards from this set cards were affected and their rarity/value ?
    I collect any and all South Carolina Gamec0cks in any sport including players and coaches .
    Master set projects
    football : 2000 Finest , 2001 Bowman's Best , 2004 Fleer Tradition`, and 2017 Donruss

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by game****fanatic View Post

1993 leaf gold rookies.....was about to post a few of my duplicates in one of my inserts-for-sale threads when i discovered a handful with silver foil instead of the usual gold...the foil variation is incredibly easy to spot and affects all the foil on the card front : the leaf logo including the year stamped within the ribbon along with the horizontal bars above and below the nameplate near the bottom.....

i'll have to dig out my set to see if there are any more , but for now i have these with silver foil in hand :

11 kevin rogers
    14 phil hiatt
    18 benji gil
    20 darrell sherman

i'll ak my usual question(s) - anyone else have any of these or at least any information on which cards from this set cards were affected and their rarity/value ?
    I've heard of that one I've seen many different players, been trying to find a Wakefield for about a year now. I've also seen one or two of the Jumbo's with gold and silver foil versions

cmcjr99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bstanwood View Post
    I've heard of that one I've seen many different players, been trying to find a Wakefield for about a year now. I've also seen one or two of the Jumbo's with gold and silver foil versions
    i'll check my set shortly (just have to figure out where i stored it when i completed it earlier this year) and see if any in pages are silver or if i can find an extra timmy hiding out among the many unsored boxes here...
    Master set projects

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...Foil-Variation

Quote Originally Posted by game****fanatic View Post

11 kevin rogers
    14 phil hiatt
    18 benji gil
    20 darrell sherman

cmcjr99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks...i'd missed that one completely....

so did you happen to have any info my other one (92 studio heritage inserts) too ?
    Master set projects

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone heard tell of this as a legitimate 1989 Donruss variation? There's definitely a notch in the line as printed - but does it count as anything? As a player collector, would you add one to your collection?

1989 Donruss DK "chipped" or "broken" vertical line variation

AstrosAtoZ
     AstrosAtoZ
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, I don't know. If there are several cards with this variation, I'd count it. If it's a weird one-off printing error, probably not.

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I first saw this as an eBay listing. I looked at 14 copies of this card I own. Two of them had the notched line, so that's 3 examples. The notched line is actually thicker than the non-notched line. It looks like the line was corrected with the extra part of the line removed. That in my opinion would make it a variation, but not a rare one. This is card #17 Mark Grace. I have no idea if other 89 DK cards have the same variation.