User Tag List

Page 6 of 58 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Error and Variation Discussion/Reference Thread

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Official Error and Variation Discussion/Reference Thread

I just bought a lot of 1999 Topps Traded C.C. Sabathia rookie cards and one of them has a blank back. Has anyone ever seen this? I have seen a LOT of 1999 Topps Traded cards and have never seen ONE with a blank back. It even has the "glossy finish" on the back.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noticed something odd on the new Bowman Draft Picks and Prospects.The baseball world classic cards # 24 Ardolis Chapman has a different numbering sequence than the other cards.His says BCW24 on it as opposed to the BWDP that the others say preceding the number.Anybody else notice this?Not sure if its a variance since I only have a handful of cards from this set and I have nothing else with him out of the same set to compare it to.But I found it odd.
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell all day every day!
    Current Jeff Bagwell count: 4,637 different cards!
    Also collecting Jerry Stackhouse! 751 different cards!
    Also collecting Jack Lambert and football players from all Texas colleges!

tpeichel34
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I noticed that on Sportslots there are three 1990 Fleer set listed as Canadian variations:

'90 Fleer MVPS
    '90 Fleer All-Stars (the boxed set not the inserts)
    '90 Fleer League Leaders

I checked the cards I have and all of them seem to be printed in Canada. Does anyone have any cards from these sets that were printed in the USA?
    Thanks to MOFNY for finally getting me motivated to start a website:

www.supercollectorcatalog.com

Here is a link to the cameo section:

https://www.supercollectorcatalog.com/cameo-index.html

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tpeichel
    I noticed that on Sportslots there are three 1990 Fleer set listed as Canadian variations:

'90 Fleer MVPS
    '90 Fleer League Leaders

I checked the cards I have and all of them seem to be printed in Canada. Does anyone have any cards from these sets that were printed in the USA?
    All of mine (incl. dups) from those sets are from Canada as well.

Does remind me I still need to locate the canada of this guy

Mark McGwire Collector
    Current mini set chases:
    1998 Tek Diffractors (need 41 patterns)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Blue (86)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Gold (5,8,23,50,59,62,65,77)
    1999 Tek Gold /10 (7A pattern: 24), (7B patterns: 4, 28)
    2014 Tek (Black/White Auto Proof /1) and (any remaining unique buybacks)
    1999 Ultimate Victory Parallels (151, 152)
    1998 Donruss Crusade Purple Samples/Prototypes (two different, See examples here)
    View Collection: 5600+ unique cards
    View Full Statistics
    Need List

tpeichel34
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by onionring9

'90 Fleer MVPS
    '90 Fleer League Leaders

I have a feeling those variations don't exist.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The boxed Fleer sets all say printed in Canada.

tpeichel34
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Straw
    The boxed Fleer sets all say printed in Canada.
    For those three issues only, right? I have other Fleer box set cards that were printed in the USA.

tpeichel34
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have these variations been captured here?

'82 Topps Team Leaders (issued in a folder sheet, the stock of the card is thinner than regular stock and the print on the back is lighter than the regualr card)
    '86 Donruss Wax Box Cards (white stock -vs- gray stock) -white stock seems tougher to find
    '87 Donruss Wax Box Cards (white stock -vs- gray stock) -white stock seems tougher to find
    '87 Ralston (cookie crisp sheet variation) - they issue a sheet of the cards with "Cookie Crisp" on the top. When the cards are cut off the sheet, the only way to tell if you have the Cookie Crisp variation is that the words "Collectors Edition" do not appear in the upper right-hand corner and the back of the card is lighter
    '87 Topps Sticker (soft stock -vs- hard stock) this was the only year where the Topps Stickers were available in both a soft like like in previous years and the hard back stock of 1988-1990.
    '88 Starting Lineup Talking Baseball (cards from the board game. The team sets were issued with drawings of each players. The all-star set has photos of the players. I believe George Brett has variations where his position is listed as 3B and another as 1B)
    '90 Baseball Wit (no # on back) They must have reprinted these after an inital run and forgot the numbering. I think the #d are rarer
    '91 Kenner Cards (black print -vs- blue print on back of card) - Kenner cards issued in sheet format that used black print on the back of the card and a thinner stock
    '92 Kenner Cards (black print -vs- blue print on back of card) - Kenner cards issued in sheet format that used black print on the back of the card and a thinner stock
    '91 Topps Superstar Standups (clear variation) the plastic candy holders were either red or green, but occasionally you'd run across one that had no color. These are a pretty tough variation)
    '92 Mr. Turkey Oversize (issued in a sheet to collectors, these can be cut to a size of 3x4. There also cards on the Mr. Turkey box. Sometime they are cut off the box with a thin brown border to signify it came from the box. You can also tell because the text on the back of the card is lighter than the text of the cards cut from the sheet)

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by onionring9

'90 Fleer MVPS
    '90 Fleer League Leaders

I have a feeling those variations don't exist.
    That one does exist. I've got the Canada of the base. That whole set was printed in both US/Canada. The box ones you were talking about as Jack said were printed in singular locations.
    Mark McGwire Collector
    Current mini set chases:
    1998 Donruss Crusade Purple Samples/Prototypes (two different, See examples here)
    View Full Statistics
    Need List

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have these variations been captured here?

'82 Topps Team Leaders (issued in a folder sheet, the stock of the card is thinner than regular stock and the print on the back is lighter than the regualr card)
    '86 Donruss Wax Box Cards (white stock -vs- gray stock) -white stock seems tougher to find
    '87 Donruss Wax Box Cards (white stock -vs- gray stock) -white stock seems tougher to find
    '87 Ralston (cookie crisp sheet variation) - they issue a sheet of the cards with "Cookie Crisp" on the top. When the cards are cut off the sheet, the only way to tell if you have the Cookie Crisp variation is that the words "Collectors Edition" do not appear in the upper right-hand corner and the back of the card is lighter
    '87 Topps Sticker (soft stock -vs- hard stock) this was the only year where the Topps Stickers were available in both a soft like like in previous years and the hard back stock of 1988-1990.
    '88 Starting Lineup Talking Baseball (cards from the board game. The team sets were issued with drawings of each players. The all-star set has photos of the players. I believe George Brett has variations where his position is listed as 3B and another as 1B)
    '90 Baseball Wit (no # on back) They must have reprinted these after an inital run and forgot the numbering. I think the #d are rarer
    '91 Kenner Cards (black print -vs- blue print on back of card) - Kenner cards issued in sheet format that used black print on the back of the card and a thinner stock
    '92 Kenner Cards (black print -vs- blue print on back of card) - Kenner cards issued in sheet format that used black print on the back of the card and a thinner stock
    '91 Topps Superstar Standups (clear variation) the plastic candy holders were either red or green, but occasionally you'd run across one that had no color. These are a pretty tough variation)
    '92 Mr. Turkey Oversize (issued in a sheet to collectors, these can be cut to a size of 3x4. There also cards on the Mr. Turkey box. Sometime they are cut off the box with a thin brown border to signify it came from the box. You can also tell because the text on the back of the card is lighter than the text of the cards cut from the sheet)
    I'll update with the new ones tonight...any pics of these? I've never seen a blue/black variation of a kenner before!
    Mark McGwire Collector
    Current mini set chases:
    View Full Statistics
    Need List

BunchOBull
     BigHurtHOF
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joe,

If you have time, will you update the list with the 1990 Topps blackless cards?

Senior Member MartinFFcollector's Avatar
     1989_fleer_bill_ripken_collector
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sportscardtheory
    I just bought a lot of 1999 Topps Traded C.C. Sabathia rookie cards and one of them has a blank back. Has anyone ever seen this? I have seen a LOT of 1999 Topps Traded cards and have never seen ONE with a blank back. It even has the "glossy finish" on the back.
    Little info on those-

Blank Back, Blank Front, Wrong back, Wrong Front is a printing error.

The 2 sheets were not properly matched or one was left off.

This can happen to ANY card. That and the fact that they are a "defect" is why they will never be listed in the price guides. It is now somewhat rare to pack pull these, since there appears to be better quality control. It was kinda common in the late 80's to aquire these. I pulled many from packs back then. Alot were also backdoored from that era as I've seen lots of 500+ from the same set offered for sale.

Although they dont pop up in packs as often nowdays, there could always be someone sitting on a hoard that their connect who works with the printer backdoored. Since these are considered printers scrap, they're usually just tossed in the trash.

They do have some value to player and oddball collectors.

Stay away from the one sided Chrome cards, often called "Chrome Proofs" as they are 99.9% fake and can be made by anyone as long as you have access to hot water.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 Starting Lineup Black ink is the poster cards and the blue are the
    ones that came with the toy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Went looking through some boxes of cards today from my childhood and found a couple of 1988 Topps "Send away glossy" variation sweepstakes cards (2 with arrows including one with "Cards not" showing)

Remember the variations on these? Early early ones had "Cards not included" on the front which was then covered up with a black arrow and then totally removed.

Does anyone know of any sales for the black arrow or "Cards not included" versions?
    BBC GALAXEE
    YOUR HOBBY STORE IN THE BRONX/WESTCHESTER AREA
    [https://hstrial-BBCGalaxee.intuitwebsites.com

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinFFcollector
    Quote Originally Posted by sportscardtheory
    Little info on those-

Blank Back, Blank Front, Wrong back, Wrong Front is a printing error.

The 2 sheets were not properly matched or one was left off.

This can happen to ANY card. That and the fact that they are a "defect" is why they will never be listed in the price guides. It is now somewhat rare to pack pull these, since there appears to be better quality control. It was kinda common in the late 80's to aquire these. I pulled many from packs back then. Alot were also backdoored from that era as I've seen lots of 500+ from the same set offered for sale.

Although they dont pop up in packs as often nowdays, there could always be someone sitting on a hoard that their connect who works with the printer backdoored. Since these are considered printers scrap, they're usually just tossed in the trash.

They do have some value to player and oddball collectors.

Stay away from the one sided Chrome cards, often called "Chrome Proofs" as they are 99.9% fake and can be made by anyone as long as you have access to hot water.
    I have never seen a blank-back Topps Traded card from a box-set. I know what you mean about there being a lot of older Topps blank-fronts and backs, but it is not very common with their mid to late '90s sets, especially a box-set Traded card.

Page 6 of 58 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast