Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Official Error and Variation Discussion/Reference Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
DeliciousBacon said:
AndruwHRJones said:
DeliciousBacon said:
Are there any known variations for the 1998 Score Showcase cards? I'm asking because I have two identical Scott Rolen Showcase cards, except one is numbered 68 (same number as his base), and the other is numbered PP29. Other than the card #, both cards are identical, right down to the yellow Showcase Series logo on the back. I have a very vague recollection of this back when the cards came out, but it never shows up on any variations list. I'm really hoping this is gonna be something stupidly rare or cool (got it at the same time I picked up my Rolen 05 DK non-canvas /20 for a dime :D )

Interesting, looks like they screwed up the numbering on your showcase card. The one #'d to 68 should be the base. Do you have scans of the front and back? I will have to start looking at my cards now to see if I can find any errors as well.

img014-1.jpg

The fronts are both identical; the same silver foil that all the 1998 Showcases use.

I have a Ryan Klesko Showcase that's numbered 30 instead of PP10. As soon as I figure out where I've got it stored I'll scan that one as well.

Looking at the fronts on the left, the fronts definately look different? Or at least the colors appear to be off? Btw, are these samples? That may explain why the numbering is off?

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
AndruwHRJones said:
DeliciousBacon said:
AndruwHRJones said:
DeliciousBacon said:
Are there any known variations for the 1998 Score Showcase cards? I'm asking because I have two identical Scott Rolen Showcase cards, except one is numbered 68 (same number as his base), and the other is numbered PP29. Other than the card #, both cards are identical, right down to the yellow Showcase Series logo on the back. I have a very vague recollection of this back when the cards came out, but it never shows up on any variations list. I'm really hoping this is gonna be something stupidly rare or cool (got it at the same time I picked up my Rolen 05 DK non-canvas /20 for a dime :D )

Interesting, looks like they screwed up the numbering on your showcase card. The one #'d to 68 should be the base. Do you have scans of the front and back? I will have to start looking at my cards now to see if I can find any errors as well.

img014-1.jpg

The fronts are both identical; the same silver foil that all the 1998 Showcases use.

I have a Ryan Klesko Showcase that's numbered 30 instead of PP10. As soon as I figure out where I've got it stored I'll scan that one as well.

Looking at the fronts on the left, the fronts definately look different? Or at least the colors appear to be off? Btw, are these samples? That may explain why the numbering is off?

Those two cards you can just barely see the tops of aren't the fronts of the Showcases; they're Flair promos. I just took the page right out of the binder and scanned it like that. The fronts of both Score Showcase cards are 100% indentical, they look just as they should.

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
DeliciousBacon said:
AndruwHRJones said:
DeliciousBacon said:
AndruwHRJones said:
DeliciousBacon said:

Those two cards you can just barely see the tops of aren't the fronts of the Showcases; they're Flair promos. I just took the page right out of the binder and scanned it like that. The fronts of both Score Showcase cards are 100% indentical, they look just as they should.

Guess I should have realized that being that they are in a binder page. For some reason, I thought you had them scanned seperately and the fronts were on the left. ::facepalm:: to myself!

brewerfan99

Sep 7, 2010
Wisconsin
Just got this card in the mail today from topps ... let me know if its an error! Thanks

001-5-1.jpg

The plate is clearly blue with a yellow sticker on the back.

-al

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
OK, so here's another one. I bought a box of 1986 Leaf a few years ago, and noticed that several of the cards had distinctly purple borders, versus the standard blue. Probably one of those situations where the presses were low on ink, but it doesn't affect the pictures whatsoever, just the borders. They fell weird in the box as well: if I got triples, one was a purple. If I got doubles, both were blue. If I just got a single, it was 50/50 blue/purple. I tried to capture it in the scans but it's best seen in person.

img029.jpg
img028.jpg
img030.jpg

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
DeliciousBacon said:
OK, so here's another one. I bought a box of 1986 Leaf a few years ago, and noticed that several of the cards had distinctly purple borders, versus the standard blue. Probably one of those situations where the presses were low on ink, but it doesn't affect the pictures whatsoever, just the borders. They fell weird in the box as well: if I got triples, one was a purple. If I got doubles, both were blue. If I just got a single, it was 50/50 blue/purple. I tried to capture it in the scans but it's best seen in person.

img029.jpg
img028.jpg
img030.jpg

I would chalk those up to ink being low. You could probably come up with different shades of a border color on almost all of the 1980's cards.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
AndruwHRJones said:
I didn't see these listed, same as the 1997 Mirror Image errors. Missing refractor wording.

1996BBESTMIREF.jpg

BowmanBestMirrorImageRefractor.jpg
topps products are known for this. the errors are rare.
1999 Topps Chrome Early Road to the Hall Refractors
juan_picture.jpg
1999 Topps Chrome Early Road to the Hall Refractors Error Not a refractor. No serial number.
juan_picture.jpg

dietdew

Apr 29, 2010
1975 Clarence Mengler Baseball's Best
menglers.jpg

I found this variation with a copyright on the back. I also have an Oliva and a F. Robinson with a copyright in black ink on the back. I did a little digging and found out that the A and B series can be found either blank-backed or with a copyright. The other three series were apparently only produced with a blank back.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
I always notice the light blue -vs- dark blue variations on the 1981 Fleer Star Stickers, an obvious printing error, but still pretty significant because it seems like 25-35% of the cards have the light blue. Does that seem about right to everyone else?

1981FleerStarStickerVariations.jpg

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
On the 1981 Topps Scratch-Offs, only the scratch-off on the bottom of the three card panels have different advertisements on the back. I believe each of these players has two variations.

1981ToppsScratch-OffVariation.jpg

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
The 1990 Fleer Wax Box Cards come in a gray and white stock variation. The white seems to be much harder to find, though not impossible. I'm assuming that all of the four card panels come in both variations, but I have not seen them all myself.

1990FleerWaxBoxCardVariations.jpg

This is the similar to the light/dark variations on the 1987 Fleer Wax Box Cards.

1987DonrussWaxBoxCardVariation.jpg

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
Not mine. Thanks goes out to the collector who sent me these pics. Rec'd these as PDF and unsure how to alter to get them saved in photobucket .....so I took a pic of my screen.

lot2016.jpg

lot2018.jpg

lot2017.jpg

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Yes sir, silver sig on the black border variety. That was the last one I found. Got lucky found a listing for $2 delivered. When listed as the error version, it sold for between $50 and $60.

Members online

Latest posts