Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Official Error and Variation Discussion/Reference Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dietdew

Apr 29, 2010
I just ran across a variation in the SPA buttons. The placement of the sig and number are different and the trademark lines are either white or black. The white line says copyright 1978 and the black copyright 1981. Obviously, a true 1978 Angels Carew is impossible because he was not traded until 1979.

pin137.jpg
spa2.jpg

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
That's typical. We can't managed to build a complete checklist, but we're already finding variations. The pins were still being printed at least into 1984 based on the existence of a Pete Rose as an Expo being one of the higher numbers. I have to wonder if these are related to the MLBPA/Carol Wright/Vincetown pins from a couple of years later.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
OK, this is probably about as minor and worthless a variation as I have found, but it does seem to be a legit variation. The 2007 Upper Deck Triple Play Performers can be found with two different messages on the scratch-off panel on back; the far more common version says "Scratch Off", the other version is bilingual, "Scratch Off/Raspar To Reveal Number":

04b7b1e2-4806-4267-b848-cb503018d1da.jpg
bab3d77b-32a8-474c-b483-b4f7541ae7c2.jpg

Last edited:

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
A collector asked me if I had the 1991 Cadaco Disc blue MLB logo variation for Grace and Dunston. He had never seen the variation himself, but someone had told him about it. All the ones I own, have the red MLB logo as do the ones on COMC. Anyone else heard of it?

8b186b04-9a68-45f5-a1d5-f0abd2d114bd.jpg

richtree

Jan 4, 2010
Hey JC,

i posted this on CU, but it fits here as well...

6189703386_63c4a70fb0.jpg

A. Visible face
B. Blacked-out face/arms, pink stripe along helmet
C. Blacked-out face/arms, no stripe along helmet

i just pulled a "B" out of a factory set. The Knight was the corrected version, no scar or white-out visable

Just would all of these and all of the Knight scar variations....let me know if anyone has [email protected]

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Ok, time to add to this lost awesome thread

1998 pinnacle yardwork. Has horizontal lines across the card or just halfway.
1998%20Pinnacle%20Plus%20Yardwork%2011.jpg

1998%20Pinnacle%20Plus%20Yardwork%2011%20Variant.jpg

Ill add more samples later. Right now I'm on my iPad and its a pain linking pictures compared to doing it on my computer.

Last edited:

flarick

Apr 30, 2009
South Florida
1995 SPORTFLIX DOUBLE TAKE MATTINGLY/BONDS PROOF/ERROR CARD.

As a Griffey, Jr. collector, I picked this up a number of years ago and wondered if anyone else has seen similar from the '95 series. This particular card is blank back with no card number present. Bonds and Mattingly are the named players and the front of the card shows "1B" for positions. Card should have AL and NL stars at the same positions. The logo in the top right corner shifts between "'95" and what appears to be a copy of the '94 Production logo "Sportflics 2000". The background color for both the position and the player name does not change. Finally, the 'magic motion' images are both Ken Griffey, Jr. and neither matches the '95 regular issue image used! Bonds and Mattingly images are not present. So, do I label it a Bonds or Mattingly error? Mattingly was not the 1B on the '95 issue. Printer's proof error? Or how about a really nice Griffey 'cameo"!!

MATTINGLY 2.jpg BONDS BEST.jpg

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
1995 SPORTFLIX DOUBLE TAKE MATTINGLY/BONDS PROOF/ERROR CARD.

As a Griffey, Jr. collector, I picked this up a number of years ago and wondered if anyone else has seen similar from the '95 series. This particular card is blank back with no card number present. Bonds and Mattingly are the named players and the front of the card shows "1B" for positions. Card should have AL and NL stars at the same positions. The logo in the top right corner shifts between "'95" and what appears to be a copy of the '94 Production logo "Sportflics 2000". The background color for both the position and the player name does not change. Finally, the 'magic motion' images are both Ken Griffey, Jr. and neither matches the '95 regular issue image used! Bonds and Mattingly images are not present. So, do I label it a Bonds or Mattingly error? Mattingly was not the 1B on the '95 issue. Printer's proof error? Or how about a really nice Griffey 'cameo"!!

View attachment 16647 View attachment 16651

That definitely seems like more of a test proof; not uncommon to mix and match images/names with test runs. There would be little other reason to have that combination of double Griffey with a non-production player name.

timtom

Apr 24, 2013
Nashville, TN
This thread is really cool. I went through my doubles and added 6 more variation cards to my PC that I did not have before.

I have one variation to add that I have not seen listed before.

2000 EX Hall or nothing Gold foil and bronze foil variations.

I picked this up in a lot I bought 3-4 years ago which had 7-8 of these card and I noticed that only 1 had gold foil. Don't know if anyone else has seen anything like this. Just though I should share.

Dan

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Not sure if these apply but I didn't notice them on the first post. 1984 Topps Variations head fully in box and not.
002-19.jpg

Anyone know if all 1984 Topps cards came in this variation? I have looked through over 1700 Andre Dawson 1984 Topps cards and did not find a single one with head in box

Latest posts