Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Official Error and Variation Discussion/Reference Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sep 11, 2009
Dont know if anyone has said anything about these or not.
1994 Upper Deck Collectors Choice Up Close & Personal white bottom
1994 Upper Deck Collectors Choice Up Close & Personal tan bottom
1994collectorschoicedav.jpg

1994 Upper Deck Collectors Choice Up Close & Personal Silver Signature Black Bottom
b25rqwkkgrhqiokoyeztiqc.jpg

1994 Leaf Limited Gold with Gold Foil instead of Holographic Foil on back (I have a few different players and it seems to be in the higher serial numbered cards, 7000-8500 range)
1994leaflimitedgold.jpg

1997 Bowmans Best Mirror Image Refractor with and without Refractor markings
1997bowmansbestmirrorim.jpg

1997 Bowmans Best Mirror Image Inverted Refractor with and without Refractor markings
1997 Bowmans Best Mirror Image Atomic Refractor with and without Atomic Refractor markings
side note: I have not seen any atomic inverteds without the atomic refractor markings
2006 Ultimate Collection Ultimate Tandem Patches fronts have been seen with the word Materials or Patches
2006ultimatecollectionu.jpg

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
Hi guys. I posted this the other day on the Henderson thread. Some are just Henderson related, but many may be of help for error/variation guys, or pc guys. I know some are repeats, but a few I have not noticed listed here. If anyone knows of any others let me know.

82 Perma Graphics Superstar (small logo on back goes over HR in stats)
82 Perma Graphics Superstar (large logo on back goes under HR in stats)
82 Perma Graphics All-Star (dark copper circle where 82 banner is)
82 Perma Graphics All-Star (same as above, with Dark copper Star on top and dark copper inset frame around pic)
82 Topps Blackless
82 Topps Blueless
84 Slurpee Coin (green back)
84 Slurpee Coin (olive green back)
84 Topps #230 (can be found with 2 black lines near his face)
84 Topps Mail-In All-Star (white stock & gray stock)
85 Fleer Update #U51 (blue or purple border)
86 Topps Rack All-Star #7 (white & gray stock with * or ** for each)
87 Donruss #228 (reversed back)
87 Sportflics #4 (86 & 87 copyrights)
87 Sportflics #157 (with or without copyright)
87 Sportflics #159 (with or without copyright)
87 Sportflics #198 (with or without copyright)
87 Topps TBC #311 (yellow 1982)
87 Topps Mini Leaders #64 (can be found w/3 different wood grain borders w/a pink spot & a pink & blue spot in upper left of pic)
87 Topps Stickers (hardbacks)
87 Topps Sticker #147 (blackback)
88 Donruss #277 (can be found with or without the period afte INC)
88 Donruss #277 (factory border)
88 Donruss #277 (team book collection w/88 copyright on the back)
88 Score box card (blue or purple banner)
88 Topps Big (can be found with an A* or A** on back)
88 Topps Rack All-Star #7 (white * & gray stock with either * or **)
89 Baseball Wit #37 (with or without a number on back)
89 Donruss #245 (*Denotes with or w/o period after INC)
89 Donruss #245 (*Denotes* with or w/o period after INC)
89 Donruss #245 (factory border-small bars are glossy on sides)
89 Topps #380 (blue or purple banner)
89 Topps Big #271 (can be found with * or ** on back)
89 Topps Rack All-Star #7 (white & gray stock with either * or **)
89 Upper Deck #210 (normal, and bold text on back)
90 Bowman #457 (gray pants and white airbrushed pants)
90 Donruss #304 (with or w/o period after INC)
90 Donruss #304 (factory border)
90 Leaf #160 (gray or silver front)
90 Score #360 (blue or purple stats-purple stats has a thin black line to the left of the word "year" in stats)
90 Stadium News (reg. or glossy)
90 U.S. Playing cards (siver edge)
91 Broder-blue/black marble border with Rickey on his belly 939 (can be found in an all blue back or blue & white back)
91 Donruss (all with or w/o period after INC)
91 Donruss (all with factory border)
91 Fleer #10 (turf or no turf in lower left corner of pic)
91 Stadium Club #120 (C* or D*)
91 Stadium Club Charter Members (* or **)
91 Stadium Club Members Only (* or **)
91 Starting Lineup (can be found with full season stats or thru the A.S. game stats)
91 Starting Lineup (black back from uncut sheet)
91 Upper Deck #444 (sharp edged or rounded edge holo)
91 Upper Deck #636 undated (1990 hologram-shape of holo is standard 91, but holo foil is from 1990)
91 U.S. Playing card (silver edge)
92 Bowman #166 (can be found with E or E* on back)
92 Donruss (all reg issue can be found with or w/o period after INC)
92 High 5 Decal (Ricky-Griffey puzzle piece on back)
92 High 5 Decal (Rickey-Canseco puzzle piece on back)
92 Leaf & Leaf Gold #116 (Same issue with periods after INC)
92 Mcdonalds (can be found with * or **)
92 Score Dream Team #441 (reversed back)
92 Stadium Club #750 (can be found with a C or D on back)
92 Starting Lineup ( black back-uncut sheet)
92 Topps #2 (can be found with 1.991 on the front)
92 Topps Gold Winner #2 (can be found with a small or large ToppsGold logo on the back)
92 Topps Kids #118 ( * or ** on back)
93 Classic #T42 (light blue or light gray back)
94 Collectors Choice #131 (holo text can be found vertical or horizontal)
94 SP #34 (same as above)
94 Topps #248 (can be found with letter B or no letter)
94 Upper Deck Electric Diamond #60 (can be found with a copper or silver back)
95 Topps #559 ( I own one with a silver name. I am not sure what to make of it, because I cant see the point of printing it in silver only to put gold on top of it. Plus the Topps logo is gold. I never heard these mentioned before for any player, so I dont know if it is a true variation or an error.
98 Pacific Online Gold #533 (code can be found in lower left corner, or upper right corner)

I think that is all that I know of or can verify. If any one can add, that would be great.

Hullfan

Aug 9, 2008
St Louis
Here is a picture for the 1990 Donruss Splatter variations. The majority of the cards I had were like the one on the left and only had 2 of the right one.
008-13.jpg

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Picked up two sets of these in the early '90s in the Philadelphia area. I was told there were about 50 sets printed this way with 1991 Fleer football on the front and 1991 Fleer baseball on the back. No idea if he was correct. I think it was just one sheet so there really isn't a complete set per se.

1991FleerBB-FBError.jpg

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
Not counting the saw cuts, there's 4 Black Scribble variations. Loop, Lite Loop and F showing. Here's the 4th. It was lacking a name, so we called it the Circle Scribble as the lines appear to go in a circle. I know of one uncut and around 5 saw cuts of this version in existance. Happy Hunting..

loop.jpg

liteloop.jpg

f.jpg

10b.jpg

Hullfan

Aug 9, 2008
St Louis
Looking through some more of my McGee collection I noticed the 1990 Topps Big also can be found with multiple print destinations on the back as noted by the D* vs C* in the copyright line.

003-25.jpg

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Hullfan said:
Looking through some more of my McGee collection I noticed the 1990 Topps Big also can be found with multiple print destinations on the back as noted by the D* vs C* in the copyright line.

003-25.jpg
E* & F* for me

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Beckett lists this one as an uncorrected error, but I just noticed it was corrected in the factory set.

1992 Donruss #620 David Wells

"CAREER HIGHLIGHTS" on back in black (ERR):
620ERRb.png

"CAREER HIGHLIGHTS" on back in red (COR):
620CORb.png

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
Going through some sets a buddy gave me to sell I came across this 1997 Upper Deck Capture the Flag White Back Variation of McGwire :D Also found an Roberto Alomar, Ramon Martinez, Steve Finley (x3) and David Cone.

Yes, all are available.

amac1.jpg

packbusta

Aug 15, 2010
I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me out with this. I have 2 cards from 2002 Bowman (Alex Herrera and Alexis Gomez) that have silver foil stamping on them instead of the regular gold. I opened a lot of this product, but these are the only two silver foiled cards I ever found. Is this just a simple error, or actually something worth mentioning?

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Are there any known variations for the 1998 Score Showcase cards? I'm asking because I have two identical Scott Rolen Showcase cards, except one is numbered 68 (same number as his base), and the other is numbered PP29. Other than the card #, both cards are identical, right down to the yellow Showcase Series logo on the back. I have a very vague recollection of this back when the cards came out, but it never shows up on any variations list. I'm really hoping this is gonna be something stupidly rare or cool (got it at the same time I picked up my Rolen 05 DK non-canvas /20 for a dime :D )

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
DeliciousBacon said:
Are there any known variations for the 1998 Score Showcase cards? I'm asking because I have two identical Scott Rolen Showcase cards, except one is numbered 68 (same number as his base), and the other is numbered PP29. Other than the card #, both cards are identical, right down to the yellow Showcase Series logo on the back. I have a very vague recollection of this back when the cards came out, but it never shows up on any variations list. I'm really hoping this is gonna be something stupidly rare or cool (got it at the same time I picked up my Rolen 05 DK non-canvas /20 for a dime :D )

Interesting, looks like they screwed up the numbering on your showcase card. The one #'d to 68 should be the base. Do you have scans of the front and back? I will have to start looking at my cards now to see if I can find any errors as well.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
AndruwHRJones said:
DeliciousBacon said:

Interesting, looks like they screwed up the numbering on your showcase card. The one #'d to 68 should be the base. Do you have scans of the front and back? I will have to start looking at my cards now to see if I can find any errors as well.

img014-1.jpg

The fronts are both identical; the same silver foil that all the 1998 Showcases use.

I have a Ryan Klesko Showcase that's numbered 30 instead of PP10. As soon as I figure out where I've got it stored I'll scan that one as well.

Members online