Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Official Error and Variation Discussion/Reference Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Jack Straw said:
The boxed Fleer sets all say printed in Canada.

For those three issues only, right? I have other Fleer box set cards that were printed in the USA.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Have these variations been captured here?

'82 Topps Team Leaders (issued in a folder sheet, the stock of the card is thinner than regular stock and the print on the back is lighter than the regualr card)
'86 Donruss Wax Box Cards (white stock -vs- gray stock) -white stock seems tougher to find
'87 Donruss Wax Box Cards (white stock -vs- gray stock) -white stock seems tougher to find
'87 Ralston (cookie crisp sheet variation) - they issue a sheet of the cards with "Cookie Crisp" on the top. When the cards are cut off the sheet, the only way to tell if you have the Cookie Crisp variation is that the words "Collectors Edition" do not appear in the upper right-hand corner and the back of the card is lighter
'87 Topps Sticker (soft stock -vs- hard stock) this was the only year where the Topps Stickers were available in both a soft like like in previous years and the hard back stock of 1988-1990.
'88 Starting Lineup Talking Baseball (cards from the board game. The team sets were issued with drawings of each players. The all-star set has photos of the players. I believe George Brett has variations where his position is listed as 3B and another as 1B)
'90 Baseball Wit (no # on back) They must have reprinted these after an inital run and forgot the numbering. I think the #d are rarer
'91 Kenner Cards (black print -vs- blue print on back of card) - Kenner cards issued in sheet format that used black print on the back of the card and a thinner stock
'92 Kenner Cards (black print -vs- blue print on back of card) - Kenner cards issued in sheet format that used black print on the back of the card and a thinner stock
'91 Topps Superstar Standups (clear variation) the plastic candy holders were either red or green, but occasionally you'd run across one that had no color. These are a pretty tough variation)
'92 Mr. Turkey Oversize (issued in a sheet to collectors, these can be cut to a size of 3x4. There also cards on the Mr. Turkey box. Sometime they are cut off the box with a thin brown border to signify it came from the box. You can also tell because the text on the back of the card is lighter than the text of the cards cut from the sheet)

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
tpeichel said:
onionring9 said:
tpeichel said:
I noticed that on Sportslots there are three 1990 Fleer set listed as Canadian variations:

'90 Fleer MVPS
'90 Fleer All-Stars (the boxed set not the inserts)
'90 Fleer League Leaders

I checked the cards I have and all of them seem to be printed in Canada. Does anyone have any cards from these sets that were printed in the USA?

All of mine (incl. dups) from those sets are from Canada as well.

Does remind me I still need to locate the canada of this guy

w_1990--fleer--638--canada.jpg

I have a feeling those variations don't exist.

That one does exist. I've got the Canada of the base. That whole set was printed in both US/Canada. The box ones you were talking about as Jack said were printed in singular locations.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
tpeichel said:
Have these variations been captured here?

'82 Topps Team Leaders (issued in a folder sheet, the stock of the card is thinner than regular stock and the print on the back is lighter than the regualr card)
'86 Donruss Wax Box Cards (white stock -vs- gray stock) -white stock seems tougher to find
'87 Donruss Wax Box Cards (white stock -vs- gray stock) -white stock seems tougher to find
'87 Ralston (cookie crisp sheet variation) - they issue a sheet of the cards with "Cookie Crisp" on the top. When the cards are cut off the sheet, the only way to tell if you have the Cookie Crisp variation is that the words "Collectors Edition" do not appear in the upper right-hand corner and the back of the card is lighter
'87 Topps Sticker (soft stock -vs- hard stock) this was the only year where the Topps Stickers were available in both a soft like like in previous years and the hard back stock of 1988-1990.
'88 Starting Lineup Talking Baseball (cards from the board game. The team sets were issued with drawings of each players. The all-star set has photos of the players. I believe George Brett has variations where his position is listed as 3B and another as 1B)
'90 Baseball Wit (no # on back) They must have reprinted these after an inital run and forgot the numbering. I think the #d are rarer
'91 Kenner Cards (black print -vs- blue print on back of card) - Kenner cards issued in sheet format that used black print on the back of the card and a thinner stock
'92 Kenner Cards (black print -vs- blue print on back of card) - Kenner cards issued in sheet format that used black print on the back of the card and a thinner stock
'91 Topps Superstar Standups (clear variation) the plastic candy holders were either red or green, but occasionally you'd run across one that had no color. These are a pretty tough variation)
'92 Mr. Turkey Oversize (issued in a sheet to collectors, these can be cut to a size of 3x4. There also cards on the Mr. Turkey box. Sometime they are cut off the box with a thin brown border to signify it came from the box. You can also tell because the text on the back of the card is lighter than the text of the cards cut from the sheet)

I'll update with the new ones tonight...any pics of these? I've never seen a blue/black variation of a kenner before!

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
sportscardtheory said:
I just bought a lot of 1999 Topps Traded C.C. Sabathia rookie cards and one of them has a blank back. Has anyone ever seen this? I have seen a LOT of 1999 Topps Traded cards and have never seen ONE with a blank back. It even has the "glossy finish" on the back.

Little info on those-

Blank Back, Blank Front, Wrong back, Wrong Front is a printing error.

The 2 sheets were not properly matched or one was left off.

This can happen to ANY card. That and the fact that they are a "defect" is why they will never be listed in the price guides. It is now somewhat rare to pack pull these, since there appears to be better quality control. It was kinda common in the late 80's to aquire these. I pulled many from packs back then. Alot were also backdoored from that era as I've seen lots of 500+ from the same set offered for sale.

Although they dont pop up in packs as often nowdays, there could always be someone sitting on a hoard that their connect who works with the printer backdoored. Since these are considered printers scrap, they're usually just tossed in the trash.

They do have some value to player and oddball collectors.

Stay away from the one sided Chrome cards, often called "Chrome Proofs" as they are 99.9% fake and can be made by anyone as long as you have access to hot water.

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
91 Starting Lineup Black ink is the poster cards and the blue are the
ones that came with the toy.
91StartingLineUpBlackInkA.jpg

91StartingLineUpBlueBack.jpg

Jul 30, 2009
Went looking through some boxes of cards today from my childhood and found a couple of 1988 Topps "Send away glossy" variation sweepstakes cards (2 with arrows including one with "Cards not" showing)

Remember the variations on these? Early early ones had "Cards not included" on the front which was then covered up with a black arrow and then totally removed.

Does anyone know of any sales for the black arrow or "Cards not included" versions?

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
MartinFFcollector said:
sportscardtheory said:
I just bought a lot of 1999 Topps Traded C.C. Sabathia rookie cards and one of them has a blank back. Has anyone ever seen this? I have seen a LOT of 1999 Topps Traded cards and have never seen ONE with a blank back. It even has the "glossy finish" on the back.

Little info on those-

Blank Back, Blank Front, Wrong back, Wrong Front is a printing error.

The 2 sheets were not properly matched or one was left off.

This can happen to ANY card. That and the fact that they are a "defect" is why they will never be listed in the price guides. It is now somewhat rare to pack pull these, since there appears to be better quality control. It was kinda common in the late 80's to aquire these. I pulled many from packs back then. Alot were also backdoored from that era as I've seen lots of 500+ from the same set offered for sale.

Although they dont pop up in packs as often nowdays, there could always be someone sitting on a hoard that their connect who works with the printer backdoored. Since these are considered printers scrap, they're usually just tossed in the trash.

They do have some value to player and oddball collectors.

Stay away from the one sided Chrome cards, often called "Chrome Proofs" as they are 99.9% fake and can be made by anyone as long as you have access to hot water.

I have never seen a blank-back Topps Traded card from a box-set. I know what you mean about there being a lot of older Topps blank-fronts and backs, but it is not very common with their mid to late '90s sets, especially a box-set Traded card.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
In my pursuit of Hensley Meulens cards, I came across these. I wouldn't consider the first two "variations" as there were two distinct sets, the 1991 Score All-Star FanFest and the 1991 Score National, but the third, with the blank stripe under the bio, I'd consider a variation, and I have no idea where it would have come from (I bought it on COMC). Based on the cards I saw on COMC, the whole set comes in this third variety.

Last edited:

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Therion said:
Just marking the post so I can reference it later.
theres a sticky for this thread
Sticky central, threads you should know about 5/12/2009

cincykid75

Sep 30, 2008
Here is a new one.
It is 2010 Topps Melvin Mora #13.
I'm not sure if Topps did this intentionally or not.
I have 11 of these, but the one on top has a reverse photo of Adam Jones.
It appears to have been corrected extremely early in the press run.

2010ToppsMMora20001.jpg

DaleMurphyCollector

Aug 7, 2008
Imagination Land
cincykid75 said:
Here is a new one.

What do you mean by a "reverse photo of Adam Jones"?

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
DaleMurphyCollector said:
cincykid75 said:
Here is a new one.

What do you mean by a "reverse photo of Adam Jones"?

Just guessing from observation, but I think he means it has Adam Jones on the back instead of Melvin Mora.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
Are you talking about this?

88tgas.jpg

011873 said:
Went looking through some boxes of cards today from my childhood and found a couple of 1988 Topps "Send away glossy" variation sweepstakes cards (2 with arrows including one with "Cards not" showing)

Remember the variations on these? Early early ones had "Cards not included" on the front which was then covered up with a black arrow and then totally removed.

Does anyone know of any sales for the black arrow or "Cards not included" versions?

Members online