Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rosenthal saying same thing I have been for a while. PUJOLS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

Here is a post that I made on RedBirdsNation.com this morning, and I thought it would go well here also.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9041 ... 162&ATT=49

Trouble in St. Louis?

The Cardinals began their offseason in promising fashion, re-signing right-hander Kyle Lohse to a four-year, $41 million contract.

But since then, all they have done is acquire shortstop Khalil Greene from the Padres, sign left-handed relievers Trever Miller and Royce Ring for a combined $975,000 and claim a third lefty reliever, Charlie Manning, off waivers from the Nationals.

Owner Bill DeWitt told St. Louis Post-Dispatch columnist Bernie Miklasz in a radio interview that it was "unfair" to call the Cardinals cheap, citing payrolls of more than $100 million in the past several seasons.

Fairness isn't the issue. Performance is.

If the Cardinals finish third or lower for the third consecutive season, manager Tony La Russa might not return.

And if the team falls into a deeper rut, first baseman Albert Pujols could depart when his contract expires following the 2011 season.

La Russa would be a natural for the Reds, where he could reunite with two former Cardinals executives, general manager Walt Jocketty and owner Bob Castellini. After this season, Dusty Baker will have only one year left on his contract.

Pujols is three seasons away from free agency — the Cardinals hold a club option on him for '11 — but he could hit the open market at 31.

Assuming he was healthy, Pujols easily would surpass the eight-year, $180 million free-agent deal that the Yankees awarded first baseman Mark Teixeira.

Memo to DeWitt: Tony and Albert are watching.

Sound familiar?

I am often killed when I say these things. But recently it seems like more and more people are coming around to what I have been saying for some time.

DimWitt doesn't start getting some better players in the offseasons then Puujy daddy is as good as gone when his contract expires. It's what I have been saying for a few offseasons now, and I believe it's true. I am scared to death that he's going to get sick and tired of the way things are ran here and pull a Walt and jet. Why would he want to stay when the ownership group only seems concerned to ride his coat tails and make as much money off his star power as possible? Because that's what I see is happening. They aren't doing all they can in the free agent marker or in trades, and they haven't been for years now. And anyone who says that they ARE is a complete liar or a naive sheep that thinks the Cardinals cannot do any wrong.

So here is almost exactly what I have been saying for a few years from a different, more respected source.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
They got a new stadium, they got a Championship, and now they can sit back and watch the money continue to come in without spending any money. We have a local radio show here in the afternoons and one of the host is a huge Cardinals fan but bashes them daily for being so cheap.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
Bornagaincollector said:
Maybe i'm the crazy one.I see the Cardinals offering Pujols a Huge contract after this season.30+ million annually. :shock:

+1000---dont see Pujols leaving St. Louis anytime soon. All these Cardinal Bashing posts about not doing anything---still over a month + to pull another deal or two and 1-2 years removed at most from having a stockpile of young talent being MLB ready.....

I just dont get it...

TK

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
I am not saying Pujols would never leave the Cardinals....if he got ARod type dollars from another team and the Cardinals offered him Juan Valdez The Coffee Maker dollars, then I am sure he would leave, but I just dont see the Cardinals not at least matching any other teams offer......and lets look at it this way, why should the Cardinals be in a huge hurry to make a bunch of trades and deplete the farm system when they have these guys waiting...

Colby Rasmus
Joe Mather
Jon Jay
Jason Motte
Chris Perez
Brian Anderson
Jamie Garcia

And then you have a few guys that still are very promising..
Mark McCormick, Clayton Mortensen, Jarrett Hofpauir, Adam Ottavino, Peter Kozma, Tyler Greene.....

Maybe I am in the minority here, but I will say it again, I think the Cardinals would be better to fill the spot at 2B, maybe go after one more RP/Closer for a couple of the OFs--Duncan, Ludwick, Schumaker---and if they can land a big arm for a SP great, if not, go with what they got and see what happens. Its not like the starting rotation is horrible, just uncertain---lot depends on if Carpy can come back as before or not.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
As long as the Sox sign Mauer and use Expo as a backup for him I will be happy. Still have hope they at least make a run at Pujols.

G

pujolsthomefan33 said:
Bornagaincollector said:
Maybe i'm the crazy one.I see the Cardinals offering Pujols a Huge contract after this season.30+ million annually. :shock:

+1000---dont see Pujols leaving St. Louis anytime soon. All these Cardinal Bashing posts about not doing anything---still over a month + to pull another deal or two and 1-2 years removed at most from having a stockpile of young talent being MLB ready.....

I just dont get it...

TK

It's not just about THIS offseason and what's been done/not been done. It's the culmination of the last few offseasons and things just not seeming to improve in the front office. It's getting very frustrating.

And I hope that the Cardinals do offer him 30+ soon.

And to the person who said that Puujy will NEVER play in Boston, he's already been quoted as saying Boston is one of the only other teams besides the Cardinals that he WOULD play for in MLB.

This season, if Pujols were to go down in the WBC with his elbow and is out for the year, this team is ******. I mean last place by several games ****** in my opinion. Because they have no contingency plan.

G

notjomommasclint said:
i want albert to be a cub or red sock...

then i want to see sam cry like a baby... just like i did after watching him sing... :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am soooo Phil Collins.

But I am honestly terrified that Pujols IS going to wind up in Boston if the Cardinals keep this garbage up.

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
There are a lot of C or C- teams in the NL with a chance to steal a division or wild card slot if the stars line up correctly. With that in mind, those teams will play out the first 70 - 90 games of the season and make the evaluation if spending money for a key player or two will give them a real shot of making the playoffs.

Otherwise, it is just best to win 70 or so games and hope your farm system yields the talent to win next year. Look at Tampa last year....they were able to win in a very strong division.

The number of true impact free agents are very limited and so are the number of teams with the funds to make serious contract offers. I would rather have my team bank the money rather than investing top dollar in an average to below average free agent just to be able to say they were active in the free agent market. That way, if the team does manage to catch fire at a later date they are not burdened by dead weight contracts when it comes time to add a key player for the stretch run.

From a pure business standpoint, I would not invest in contracts during the off season as an owner unless I felt it gave my team a nearly certain chance of making the playoffs. Again, this is a business....and it is all about the money.

Members online