Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collector Contest Entry - oiccup's Jim Rice Entry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oiccup41

Aug 27, 2010
Maine
I started collecting cards in 1981 at 8 years old and I'm not sure when I started collecting Jim Rice. Growing up during the 80's without Ebay and the Beckett list I was sure that I has almost every issued Rice card. I was wrong.
Thinking that I had everything I stopped collecting when I went to college and left my book of Rice cards at my parents house when I got out. When I found Ebay in 1998 I started to pick up a few missing cards that I needed but still wasn't a real player collector until 2003 when I bought the Rice/Stargell card below. When I opened the package containing this beauty I was hooked and the rest is history.

I currently have 1261 cards on my "complete" list (including 1/1's) and so far I have 845 of them in my collection. The Beckett list shows 1180 but I have found a number of unlisted which I have added to my list.

Here are the numbers:
1975-1999 366/375 98%
2000-2009 469/876 54%
Total 845/1261 67%

1/1 12
Certified Autos 131

I have scanned all of my autos, memorabilia and 1/1's. Most of my collection beyond that has not been scanned but I will show a few of the oddball cards that I have scanned.

Here are a couple of pics to start with.

Card that started it all: ::facepalm::
2002_Topps_Tribute_Dual.jpg

My favorite pic pulled from an SI when I was young:
sportsillustratedad.jpg

Lineup card from the 1973 Bristol team:
1973bristollineupcard.jpg

Bobblehead w/ticket from a 2009 Greenville game giveaway:
Bobblehead.jpg

A picture from my trip to see my favorite player inducted to the HOF:
HOFpic.jpg

Finally, my Christmas present last year from my wonderful girlfriend:
RiceEvansLynnauto.jpg

oiccup41

Aug 27, 2010
Maine
Donutme said:
WOW !!!

I wonder if Klute entered his Jim Rice collection too ....

Your collection is very nice !

Klute did enter his. I hope that we are in opposite brackets because I don't want to go up against his right away.

oiccup41

Aug 27, 2010
Maine
Brewer Andy said:
oiccup41 said:
added a few more oddball cards

I'm particularly impressed by the oddballs and magazine/yearbooks! Good luck!

Thanks! I've had a few magazines for many years but this is something that I just started, there are still quite a few out there that I don't have.
I think that the next Rice project will be ticket stubs from the games where he hit home runs. I have a few right now and I think it might be a cool collection.

Members online