Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pencil signatures?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I don't care for pencil sigs, in fact, I hate them, but I am looking at a PSA/DNA authenticated cut of someone that I REALLY need for the PC, and I noticed it is in pencil. It is pretty bright for being from the 40's, but is there a good chance for fading? I just want to be sure before I drop money on it.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
TBTwinsFan said:
I don't care for pencil sigs, in fact, I hate them, but I am looking at a PSA/DNA authenticated cut of someone that I REALLY need for the PC, and I noticed it is in pencil. It is pretty bright for being from the 40's, but is there a good chance for fading? I just want to be sure before I drop money on it.

If its a player that you need for the PC I say pick it up now to scratch it off the checklist...you can always take time to search for a better one down the road and its a win/win for you :mrgreen:

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
For some of my vintage customs, I'll prefer dark pencil signatures over ink simply due to the lessened possibility of the ink bleeding from the adhesive.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
metallicalex777 said:
TBTwinsFan said:

If its a player that you need for the PC I say pick it up now to scratch it off the checklist...you can always take time to search for a better one down the road and its a win/win for you :mrgreen:

Yeah! I am going to pick it up as soon as I get paid.

Tedw9

Apr 1, 2010
Wow, you don't like pencil autographs? I think they are awesome with vintage autographs, really adds an air of vintage to an autograph. And like others have said, there is no chance of fading or bleeding.

I would be interested in seeing yours once you get it.

mantle2.jpg

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Tedw9 said:
Wow, you don't like pencil autographs? I think they are awesome with vintage autographs, really adds an air of vintage to an autograph. And like others have said, there is no chance of fading or bleeding.

mantle2.jpg

I don't know why I don't like them... probably because I do more with current stuff, and for a current player to sign with pencil is stupid...

Or maybe it's because they are erasable, and I live with people who don't understand anything about autograph collecting.... if I were to accidentally leave a pencil sig out, it would be erased in a heartbeat... I try to keep them up, but it's hard sometimes.

Thankfully this one is in a PSA case... so I am willing to drop money on it.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
It's going to be the centerpiece of my Gopher collection. IDK if there is a PSA registry or not, but I don't think there are too many of these. If there is, oh well. There are more for me to buy :D

He wasn't the greatest player, but he was an AWESOME coach!

Haha. I just don't want to give away the name. I wish I had Coach Anderson on something single signed, because that would be nasty having both in the same room together...

The signature isn't from his college coaching days, it's from his pro, but that's fine.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
TBTwinsFan said:
Tedw9 said:

mantle2.jpg

I don't know why I don't like them... probably because I do more with current stuff, and for a current player to sign with pencil is stupid...

Or maybe it's because they are erasable, and I live with people who don't understand anything about autograph collecting.... if I were to accidentally leave a pencil sig out, it would be erased in a heartbeat... I try to keep them up, but it's hard sometimes.

Now accidents happen but seriously...somebody would just come up and erase it? Wow. :?

Tedw9

Apr 1, 2010
Am I to assume you have little ones running around the house? Because I would think an adult would respect your possessions and NOT erase something without asking.

This is why my man room is off limits to man and beast unless invited in. My cats lay at the open door but won't come in, because they know they will incur my wrath.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
Tedw9 said:
Am I to assume you have little ones running around the house? Because I would think an adult would respect your possessions and NOT erase something without asking.

This is why my man room is off limits to man and beast unless invited in. My cats lay at the open door but won't come in, because they know they will incur my wrath.

Yes. I have 2 younger sisters, and 2 younger cousins. My collection is a mess, and I am trying to spend some time and money to get things off to BGS, PSA, in boxes, plastic cases, and sold or traded... everytime I see an index card with pen all over it, I always fear for the worst. Thankfully, nothing yet, except for an autograph card that was given to me that got folded in half.

We lost internet in our house, so I went to my grandpa's, and long story short, he and my dad agreed I could have the room I was using for a study room/sports room. I keep many of my index cards and questionaires and things in that room, and being that it is only 1 block away, and nobody but me goes in there, I feel it's pretty safe... because my grandpa is the only one that goes in there. I keep it pretty clean, so nothing goes missing, or gets damaged.

I have so much crap, that nobody respects my collection. I literally have cards EVERYWHERE, because people would buy me BOXES and BOXES of commons that I didn't want, nor don't need... I can't get rid of them short of tossing them, but my dad won't let me toss them... so I am in a big bind.

U

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
predatorkj said:
TBTwinsFan said:
Tedw9 said:

mantle2.jpg

Now accidents happen but seriously...somebody would just come up and erase it? Wow. :?

I wouldn't doubt it. I have had so many things damaged that I always keep my better things high up... That's why I never have anything signed in pencil, or buy raw pencil sigs, because I am so afraid that a nice autograph will become a scribble pad if I turn my back.

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
TBTwinsFan said:
Tedw9 said:

Yes. I have 2 younger sisters, and 2 younger cousins. My collection is a mess, and I am trying to spend some time and money to get things off to BGS, PSA, in boxes, plastic cases, and sold or traded... everytime I see an index card with pen all over it, I always fear for the worst. Thankfully, nothing yet, except for an autograph card that was given to me that got folded in half.

We lost internet in our house, so I went to my grandpa's, and long story short, he and my dad agreed I could have the room I was using for a study room/sports room. I keep many of my index cards and questionaires and things in that room, and being that it is only 1 block away, and nobody but me goes in there, I feel it's pretty safe... because my grandpa is the only one that goes in there. I keep it pretty clean, so nothing goes missing, or gets damaged.

I have so much crap, that nobody respects my collection. I literally have cards EVERYWHERE, because people would buy me BOXES and BOXES of commons that I didn't want, nor don't need... I can't get rid of them short of tossing them, but my dad won't let me toss them... so I am in a big bind.
U
TTM, or donate

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
jeff550 said:
TBTwinsFan said:
Tedw9 said:

U

TTM, or donate

TTM doesn't even touch that fact... I only get maybe 30-40 cards signed a year

If I can find a local place to donate too (we don't have kids in the hospital very much, and I doubt they would take them)

We have thrift stores here though, I guess I can bag some up and drop them off when we do the next delivery.

Tedw9

Apr 1, 2010
I don't know what kind of area you live in, but you may try a local swap guide or something along that line. I recently sold a small truckload of cards/stuff I didn't want or wasn't worth listing on ebay. I only got $50, but I got something out of a group of nothing. And I gained a whole bunch of space.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
As far as I know, we don't have swap meets here. I can always check... They have them about 15 minutes north (I think) of my grandparent's cabin, so that might be an option during the summer....

Maybe they aren't swap meets... they are like some sort of sale... outdoors... major brain fart... but I know a place where I can sell them up there... I might get rid of them for something...

Members online