Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

"Rare" 90s inserts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwards_everything

Aug 7, 2008
Magic's Mirror Image Atomic Refractor got me thinking about these recent show pick-ups...

MirrorImage_01.jpg
MirrorImage_02.jpg

**edited** These are 1996 Bowman's Best Preview Atomic Refractors, inserted in 1996 Bowman

BagwellAtomicRefractor.jpg

RipkenAtomicRefractor.jpg

ThomasAtomicRefractor.jpg

edwards_everything

Aug 7, 2008
Brett Keith said:
Those are 1996 Bowman's Best Preview Atomic Refractors, inserted in 1996 Bowman.

I stand corrected. I didn't even look at the back of the cards until you pointed it out. They are indeed preview cards. Glad they only cost me $7 because I bought them thinking they were "regular" Bowman's Best Atomic Refractors.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
NECpilgrims8 said:
hofautos said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
Philip J. Fry said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
1993 Finest Refractor
1996 Select Certified - Mirror Red, Mirror Blue, Mirror Gold
1997 Flair Showcase Legacy (This was the only year they WERE'NT backdoored/stolen)
1997 Finest Embossed Refractors - Silver, Gold
1997 Totally Certified Platinum Gold
1997 Donruss Crusade - Green, Purple, Red
1998 Donruss Crusade CTA - Green, Purple, Red

1999 Fleer Brilliants 24 Karat Gold
1999 Finest Gold Refractor

I can probably think of more, but that's a good start.

I believe those were both 1998 :)

I'll also add the 1997 Bowman Chrome International Refractor, and the 1997 Bowman's Best Atomic Refractor.

You're right, but they get listed both ways on eBay.

Strange.

I thought they were 97, because I have seen them listed that way...funny, I have been looking for a 1997 crusade ordonez, and now i don't want it if it's 1998 (thanks for the heads up). Are there any good rookies in the crusades then? If not, that's a bummer.

Well, since they are technically 1998, then the Ordonez is a rookie.

Besides that, I don't think there were any other notable rookie names.

How about any of the other inserts you or others mentioned? Are there any notable rookies in any of them, other than the international refractors...I have the berkman and carlos lee.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Brett Keith said:
[quote="Philip J. Fry":2970i8m9]I completely forgot about the International version of 1997 Bowman's Best Atomic Refractors...

f389_1_sbl.jpg

More preview cards! :)[/quote:2970i8m9]

Interesting, did not know that!

I'll throw my hat in for the short lived Fun Packs cards. There was insert in there that would change color based upon the body heat of someone's finger/hand that touched the front of it. I know that's not exactly the best description, but does anyone else remember those?

Edit: Here's an example...
Before:
1994+Fun+Pack+F+S2a.jpg
After:
1994+Fun+Pack+F+S2.jpg

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
Philip J. Fry said:
[quote="Brett Keith":2kh9agqw][quote="Philip J. Fry":2kh9agqw]I completely forgot about the International version of 1997 Bowman's Best Atomic Refractors...

f389_1_sbl.jpg

More preview cards! :)[/quote:2kh9agqw]

I'll throw my hat in for the short lived Fun Packs cards. There was insert in there that would change color based upon the body heat of someone's finger/hand that touched the front of it. I know that's not exactly the best description, but does anyone else remember those?

Before:
1994+Fun+Pack+F+S2a.jpg
After:
1994+Fun+Pack+F+S2.jpg[/quote:2kh9agqw]

There were also Hot Shots. I couldn't find a pic besides on Beckett.com, but it said that secion was down. There were also the Glow Stars, where you had to expose them to light, then they would glow! :)

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Brett Keith said:
[quote="Philip J. Fry":8l78wy44][quote="Brett Keith":8l78wy44][quote="Philip J. Fry":8l78wy44]I completely forgot about the International version of 1997 Bowman's Best Atomic Refractors...

f389_1_sbl.jpg

More preview cards! :)[/quote:8l78wy44]

Before:
1994+Fun+Pack+F+S2a.jpg
After:
1994+Fun+Pack+F+S2.jpg[/quote:8l78wy44]

There were also Hot Shots. I couldn't find a pic besides on Beckett.com, but it said that secion was down. There were also the Glow Stars, where you had to expose them to light, then they would glow! :)[/quote:8l78wy44]

HOT SHOTS! I knew I wasn't crazy. Those Griffeys I posted came from another site but I wasn't thinking of them.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
early '90s but hey, it's still '90s. Topps Black Gold ('93 and '94). I'd even say Topps Gold from '93, being about 1 per box I believe. Plus, it had that unmistakable autograph RC of a young and very talented Brien Taylor. :lol:

92toppsgoldautobtaylor.png

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
I really liked the 1995 Score Rules Jumbo cards.. could only get them out of the collector kits so they are still pretty rare to find these days despite each being numbered to 5000.

also the 1994 UD all star jumbo GOLD's.. the whole set has great photography and the golds were limited to 1200 sets and were randomly inserted in cases of the regular sets with no way to distinguish other than breaking the seal and looking.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
1997 Pinnacle Mirror Blacks, error print run with one sheet produced, which means not every player has one.
renteriablack.jpg

1996 Select Certified, personally I own a Masters set Mirror Red, Blue, Gold, Certified Blue and red (rarity underrated) and Artist Proofs.
Tinos.jpg

1997 Totally Certified Platinum Gold, serial numbered to 30. I have the #1 PSA registry set and I am missing 11 cards, VHTF. Set grades mostly PSA9 or 10!.
jr1.jpg

1993 Finest refractors, my FAVORITE! I currently just finished my 10th set and have plenty more to start on #11! I do not believe any cards are SP, nice print run around 250 +/- depending on who you talk to with some cards being back doored by and unauthorized print run.
tewkssmith10s.jpg

I have many of the cards you have mentioned, let me see if I can dig some up or email me a request for a certain insert and I will post a scan if possible.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
magicpapa said:
George_Calfas, feel free to send all those griffeys this away :p

Still looking for the Black Lumberjack, I had that set at one time. I did not remember them being this hard. :shock:

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
George_Calfas said:
magicpapa said:
George_Calfas, feel free to send all those griffeys this away :p

Still looking for the Black Lumberjack, I had that set at one time. I did not remember them being this hard. :shock:
picked one up not too long ago
lumberjacksblack.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online