User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2001 Donruss Anniversary Originals BGS buy backs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 2001 Donruss Anniversary Originals BGS buy backs

I'm sure if those got graded today they would all be 9 and 9.5's. Back then BGS was tougher.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw this Puckett in the COMC sold listings. I didn't even realize this was a thing.

https://www.comc.com/Cards/Baseball/...Graded/BGS/8_5
    Collector of Kirby Puckett, Benj Sampson, Scott Stahoviak, Billy Beane, Al Newman, T206 Wash/Minn/StP, and Metrodome game/stadium used artifacts.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This thread is really neat to see. I have never seen these and never knew they existed. It is a very neat piece of history on the beginning of the buyback, especially the buy back autos.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewN View Post
    I saw this Puckett in the COMC sold listings. I didn't even realize this was a thing.
    Is there a way to view recent sales, or were you just looking at the "sold out" listings?
    Wanting to buy '96 Select Certified Mirror Gold baseball...commons & stars

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly I think they are silly. A slabbed, grade 7 card as a box topper? But considering the time when buybacks were still new, and grading wasn't the, uh, "phenomenon" that it is now, it was pretty novel. Could have been done better, but it's a unique little niche in the history of baseball cards.
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Supposedly - according to hobby lore - the executive in charge of this brand at Donruss really didn't think collectors cared much about the grades. He was fine with loads of 7 and 8 slab's being used as boxtoppers. There was a lot of blowback at the time in 2001 that worthless cards were used.

These were so cheap I actually bought some Grace's to use as cup coasters on my card sorting desk.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letch77 View Post
    Is there a way to view recent sales, or were you just looking at the "sold out" listings?
    Sold Out listings sorted by recently added. I donít really trust that though. I think it only works if they are cards that COMC has not had before.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sold Out listings sorted by recently added. I don’t really trust that though. I think it only works if they are cards that COMC has not had before.
    ...or doesn't have any other listed for sale.
    Wanting to buy '96 Select Certified Mirror Gold baseball...commons & stars

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.comc.com/Cards/Baseball/...Graded/BGS/8_5
    I saw that one listed there for a while on both comc and comc through ebay. I was able to acquire a lesser grade for much cheaper for my collection.
    Here are the ones I have (not available, sorry):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SCAN0044a.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	596.8 KB 
ID:	86890

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SCAN0045a.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	538.0 KB 
ID:	86891
    If you look at the DK that was on comc (0001013217) and mine (0001013169) and the two '85s (0000988706 & 0000988673), you'll see the serial numbers are pretty close together for slabs of the same card. Maybe each card was submitted in a batch and are sequentially serial numbered? I have found that you are almost/more as likely to find these searching for say "1985 donruss puckett bgs" and looking at the flips in the pics as searching "puckett donruss anniversary originals".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dug into the Beckett pop report for Puckett...

1985 Donruss seems to be #s 0000988649 through 0000988725 There is a block of 87 Cone before and 85 Clemens after with a couple random cards in the gaps between the blocks.

1986 Donruss (which I've never seen) seems to go 0000982375 through 0000982581 There was a block of 89 Smoltz before and a lot of random cards after.

1987 Donruss seems to be 0001006137 through 0001006543 Preceded by 87 Winfield and followed by 87 Yount.

1987 Donruss DK seems to be 0001013105 through 0001013308 It was preceded by 87 R. Henderson and followed by a short run of 89 Griffey then 98 Ordonez.

I don't believe there are any other Pucketts because of the small pops of the other Donruss Pucketts. You could probably figure out any player by looking at the pop report, finding Donruss cards in large populations, and looking to see if the serial numbers are more or less consecutive. The cards seem to have been graded around April 2001.

Edit to add: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86puck.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	86892
    a google image search turned this up which was on ebay at some point apparently
    Last edited by dietdew; 02-15-2019 at 09:48 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12