Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collectors 1500+ Club

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
markakis8 said:
I just can't imagine collecting someone like Ken Griffey Jr.

Can anyone ESTIMATE how many total cards he has?

Check beckett's list and then give or take a few hundred ....maybe more.The good thing about collecting griffey...you could collect for years on end without ever running into a dry spell since there are so many of his cards.You could probably amass a ton without ever having to go the high end route too which is good because there are a few players where you amass the low end stuff quick and then everything becomes high end or at least mid end or a royal pain in the hind end to snag.I am almost to that point with Bags.Not too many low end or base cards left that I need.Everything is getting to where its nothing but inserts and low numbered stuff.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
TNP777 said:
Amazing collections, everyone! Well done!

I'm more than a little jealous that there aren't more Butlers for me to collect. Beckett recognizes 514 unique Butlers. I'm missing 20 of them, for a 96% completion rate. Half of those are 1/1s, and the other are mostly rare parallels. The other cards on my wantlist are either confirmed variations, or rumored ones. I'm sure some of them don't even exist. While I hunt in vain for the remainder of my wantlist, I branched off into a PSA registry, and will soon start a TTM campaign. As with all player collectors, I've also got dozens of oddballs and proof cards that Beckett doesn't recognize. My favorite proof cards are in my sig. I missed out by a matter of moments landing the separate cyan and magenta proofs. I'm hoping that someday they turn up.

What do those proofs go for? I have an uncut sheet of 1984 Fleer 'Blue Only' proofs which includes the Mattingly RC. Not sure if Butler is on it or not.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
predatorkj said:
Therion said:
predatorkj said:
Therion said:
onionring9 said:
[quote="Therion":hp1629ks]I hesitate to post because I am not specifically a player collector, but rather a team collector.

That said, I have just under 2000 Lance Berkman cards.

You should start a sister post for team collector milestones!

I'm not sure what the proper milestones for a team collectors would be :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well one guy had like over 10,000 different Angles cards.Not sure who though.Can't remember his board name.

I no longer have an exact count because I have refocused my collection to the Astros A to Z Autographs, and I've picked up several hundred new Astros since my last good count. That said, I have twelve 800 count boxes stuffed full and every card is in order and unique. Beyond that, I have about 500 not yet filed. So I'd guess I have roughly 10,000 Astros though it may be just under.

Maybe that is a good mark? It might be a bit high though. It gets tough to find new stuff sometimes :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I ever decided to count up all my astros unique cards...I'd have well over the mark I am sure.Just my Bagwell, Berkman, Oswalt, and Biggio alone would add up to close to 5,000(though I suppose thats cheating since I have close to 2200 bagwells).I collect a lot of folks on the astros team and I never chunk an astros card but I really don't avidly go after all astros cards.Just too many out there to be had and it can be kinda hard to find them all.[/quote:hp1629ks]

I no longer pursue Astros cards but if I find numbered inserts I pick them up. I'm still a sucker for early numbered inserts. (Pacific Premier Dates, Donruss Elite, etc) My autograph project takes up most of my attention now. I'd love to see some of your rarer inserts. I need to scan mine in.

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
Wow, Webb just passed 1,500 cards total a couple months ago. I'm only halfway there, so it will be quite a while.

I think 10,000 would be appropriate for a team collector though. Just the sheer number of base you could easily get that high. The D-backs have only been around 11 years now and I already have a good 6,200.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
nkdbacks said:
Wow, Webb just passed 1,500 cards total a couple months ago. I'm only halfway there, so it will be quite a while.

I think 10,000 would be appropriate for a team collector though. Just the sheer number of base you could easily get that high. The D-backs have only been around 11 years now and I already have a good 6,200.

Its not as easy these days as it used to be.Nowdays...it seems there are only so many cards made of the scrub guys.Usually its now only the main stars.So if your team has several then your going to get there easy.If not...its a lot harder.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
predatorkj said:
nkdbacks said:

Its not as easy these days as it used to be.Nowdays...it seems there are only so many cards made of the scrub guys.Usually its now only the main stars.So if your team has several then your going to get there easy.If not...its a lot harder.

This is true. I know of several recent sets that have had a grand total of three Astros cards in them. Lee, Berkman, and Oswalt.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Therion said:
predatorkj said:
nkdbacks said:

This is true. I know of several recent sets that have had a grand total of three Astros cards in them. Lee, Berkman, and Oswalt.

You got it.I finally found me a Wesley Wright rookie today.Finally found a Quintero I didn't have either.Its pretty hard.It seems they only release the star guys now.Its like even the base has to be top notch and full of stars or nobody will touch it.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Also, I think people are overestimating how much base cards helps in this pursuit. Let's assume there are 20 releases in a year (I'm totally making these numbers up for example purposes) and your team is full of stars so you manage to have 30 base cards in every one of those sets.

20*30=600

So to reach 10,000 cards just off of base would require just under 17 years worth of base cards. That's assuming you can find them all. It's also assuming your team has that many base cards in every release.

Loyalty32

Dec 7, 2008
Great thread! I currently own 1487/2492 Andre Dawson cards, that are recognized by Beckett. I have 13 more incoming. That will put me right at 1,500 different cards, and it pushes me just over the 60% mark as well!

Thanks
Craig

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
updated!

Anybody else either not on the list that should, or that are on the list that would like to update their numbers??

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I don't know how many I have...and I have several thousand in penny sleeves waiting for me to go through and determine which I don't have in my main vault. I'm lazy.

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
onionring9 said:
updated!

Anybody else either not on the list that should, or that are on the list that would like to update their numbers??

Thanks for the bump. I'm going to update mine tonight. I haven't gotten a good count on my A-Rods in several years.

mmorgan

Aug 11, 2008
CT
As per the last time I went through my list I have 2054 different Gwynn cards. I have a few I haven't added into my spreadsheet yet but that is close enough. I just need to work on my McGriff collection a little more to hit that milestone.

sschauer

Aug 7, 2008
Covington, KY
I have 2965 scans of Rose cards and of those I have an active wantlist down to 82 have never done a complete inventory but 2500+ is an easy number. Luckily I missed the crazy 90s inserts and very few new releases doubt will see another Rose card for a while now with Panini in control of donruss.

http://www.4192cards.com

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Up to 2440 different Bags as of today!I am pushing for 2500 different as I type this.Trying to pick and choose what I can but I actually think I have run out of base cards to buy. I think from here on out it will mostly be inserts , GU, Autos, or rare parallels and 1/1's.

Members online

Latest posts