Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1999 Fleer Tradition Starting 9

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
From what I recall, these always go very high... much higher than a card with a similar print run / scarcity factor from this time period.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
The basketball version of this set called Hoops Starting 5 is one of the most scarce sets ever created. Rumor has it local guy over 10 years ago pulled a Michael Jordan Starting 5 /5 and sold it for 5K, which would be a steal today.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Don't forget to check for your player INSIDE listings as well.

I saw a random lot of 25 cards one time - no mention of starting nine or the player in the title - yet it was one of the cards pictured and listed in the auction.

I believe it was Kevin Stocker though :? Still went for like $2.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
The hidden secret on these inserts is that 1999 Fleer Tradition is one of the most beautiful sets ever created. Fantastic photography with all sorts of cool shots of players with their kids and in unique poses. If you simply like baseball cards you need to own this set.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
383astro said:
olerud363 said:
I remember back in 1999 I pulled a Starting 9 of a Yankee... some no-name rookie who never made it and who's name I don't even remember. Listed it on ebay that summer and it went for $26. Guy never paid so I relisted it and got around $12 the second time. :?

Have never seen an Olerud for sale.

- Rod

well, here you go

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

Thanks astro for the heads-up, and to the other members who PM'ed me the auction link! I might have jumped in if the starting bid was a lot lower, but unfortunately $100 to start is out of my budget at this time. (Damn the mortgage and kids' daycare costs!) I think it'll get a couple of bids though.

Carlos, any chance you'll cut a fellow Olerud collector a break? ;)

- Rod

ignition

Jul 29, 2010
I definitely need to be keeping on the lookout for the Thome... although I just got back into collecting him again, so it's not a top priority for me now really.

olerudfan

Aug 7, 2008
Arizona
olerud363 said:
383astro said:
olerud363 said:
I remember back in 1999 I pulled a Starting 9 of a Yankee... some no-name rookie who never made it and who's name I don't even remember. Listed it on ebay that summer and it went for $26. Guy never paid so I relisted it and got around $12 the second time. :?

Have never seen an Olerud for sale.

- Rod

well, here you go

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

Thanks astro for the heads-up, and to the other members who PM'ed me the auction link! I might have jumped in if the starting bid was a lot lower, but unfortunately $100 to start is out of my budget at this time. (Damn the mortgage and kids' daycare costs!) I think it'll get a couple of bids though.

Carlos, any chance you'll cut a fellow Olerud collector a break? ;)

- Rod

Actually I can give you a break on some other items but this one just got a bid on it. Will be tough to let go but one more step forward in a project I plan to call de-collecting Olerud. I'll be updating my blog over the next couple days with my plans of finding out what 20 years of player collection is really worth. My goal is to narrow my collection down to my top 25 Olerud cards. Keep an eye and feel free to shoot me an email with any cards you are looking for.

trauty

Oct 8, 2010
The only one of these I ever had I got out of a quarter box at my local shop in 2000 (which, of course, is no longer open). It was of the immortal Ken Hill. Pretty sure it went for at least $25-30 on ebay.

Members online

Latest posts