Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1999 Fleer Tradition Starting 9

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
I've seen two Diamondbacks in the last 10 years or so - the Travis Lee that's up for $199 BIN, and then the Andy Fox I won a couple years ago.

I'd love to find more, but luckily, Fox is one of my favorite players from back in the day, so a $3 pickup was nice on that.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
It really makes me wonder if all the cards that are numbered to 10 or 20 and less made in recent years will be as highly regarded as the 90s stuff in 20+ years? I realize that the print runs are probably lower on everything in general and the toughies are pulled quicker these days it seems, but I just can't imagine anyone willing to pay $400 for a #'d/9 card of a decent, yet unspectacular player like Alomar.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
It really makes me wonder if all the cards that are numbered to 10 or 20 and less made in recent years will be as highly regarded as the 90s stuff in 20+ years? I realize that the print runs are probably lower on everything in general and the toughies are pulled quicker these days it seems, but I just can't imagine anyone willing to pay $400 for a #'d/9 card of a decent, yet unspectacular player like Alomar.

Sold Pudge for $400 just over a year ago... It went in minutes. Now the next one might not bring that or even close but some don't hit the market so some buyers are eager to cross it off

Ryan

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ

Good point, and I doubt it. They sell so high because if you want a Parallel /10 or less from that era, you have maybe a half dozen options. Now, you have 10x as many options. The market's just too flooded with too many similarly numbered cards.

1DogCollector

May 25, 2014
I know that I would feel comfortable paying $50 for a Lance Johnson Starting 9. I'm even considering buying a case of the 1999 Fleer Tradition if I can find it cheap enough to do a hunt for some even tho the rest is junk but it could be fun. Still can't find the odds on them tho.

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans

It's funny to me how this always comes up as a possibility, even an unlikely one...

But the decrease in value of rare 90's items like Starting 9 generally isn't considered.

Suffice it to say that I think the Starting 9s moving more toward today's low-ish prices on modern /10 parallels is more likely.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer. Love this stuff though and it will be fun to collect regardless of resale value.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Back in the 90's there were only a small handful of cards that were /10 or less. Because of this, those cards and sets became the focus for a huge number of collectors, driving demand and price though the roof. Today, with the endless parallels and low numbered cards, it is rare for a large number of collectors to care about any specific card.

Using the classic idea from economics that price is a function of supply and demand, the newer low numbered cards have far less demand than the old ones, despite the supply being the same for each individual card.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
I got mine from a good fellow Bernie collector on here. only the second one I seen. almost lost in the mail.

Image10_zps78b1bfd4.jpg

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Back in the 90's there were only a small handful of cards that were /10 or less. Because of this, those cards and sets became the focus for a huge number of collectors, driving demand and price though the roof. Today, with the endless parallels and low numbered cards, it is rare for a large number of collectors to care about any specific card.

Using the classic idea from economics that price is a function of supply and demand, the newer low numbered cards have far less demand than the old ones, despite the supply being the same for each individual card.

Truth. Factor in that player collectors of that era strive to be completists. Most modern collectors don't even contemplate trying to be a completist and those that try don't last long, it's just impossible. Nonetheless grab the new stuff when it breaks because while the price may start and remain low, if you want it you may not see again for years. That probably won't change. But there in lies the real fun

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008

I've wondered that too.I don't think today's parallels/inserts are as visually appealing like the '90s.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
^^^ Very nice , there was a group of starts that hit over the last few months Jeter , Griffey , Piazza , ARod , Sosa , Gwynn etc. I actually thought some went lower than I felt they would . Another thing to factor in w/ old vs new parallels , with these players who played in the 80s/90s their card will usually be more desirable in their playing days vs cards after they retired.

I'd like to land a Clark someday

Ryan

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
I consider myself pretty lucky. Picked up the #1 /9 Pedro Martinez for a $100 BIN about two years ago and added the second one recently for double that.

As far as Mike Piazza, if I remember correctly the #6 /9 came up on ebay 3-4 years ago. It was on ebay for a while with a high BIN or BO and I think it ultimately sold for $350-400, which I thought was too high. remarkably it popped up back on ebay recently and I was able to snag it at auction for a more comfortable price.

Cards look great in hand, but I'm a fan of old school paper cardboard and like it alot. I'm one of those guys that likes Bowman Red #1 /1 as much as superfractors. They are condition sensitive though.

enjoy!
MartinezPedro_1999FleerTraditionStartingNine_1_zpsc6138729.jpg
MartinezPedro_1999FleerTraditionStartingNine_5_zpsc50d52d6.jpg
PiazzaMike_1999FleerTraditionStarting9_6_zpsdb07b744.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Remember folks, there was a time when even the hottest 90s inserts were depressed in pricing. I bought out a huger Belle collection in this time frame for pennies on the dollar and have some really nice, hard to find cards in that collection. People just weren't buying the way there are now at that time. t am not convinced that these new shorter print runs won't catch on later because eventually just about everything in lower quantities dries up and sits in collections or stores for a long time and you rarely see another copy. The longer the supply is dried up, the more desperate people become!

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
While I've had some luck with early '00's parallels lately, modern day low numbered cards will never compare to the '90's simply because of production runs. You could literally open cases and never pull a Starting 9. Player collectors and completists are a factor but today's releases are saturated with much lower production numbers - simply not as hard to find.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Remember folks, there was a time when even the hottest 90s inserts were depressed in pricing. I bought out a huger Belle collection in this time frame for pennies on the dollar and have some really nice, hard to find cards in that collection. People just weren't buying the way there are now at that time. t am not convinced that these new shorter print runs won't catch on later because eventually just about everything in lower quantities dries up and sits in collections or stores for a long time and you rarely see another copy. The longer the supply is dried up, the more desperate people become!

Bought out a Belle collector! Whoa... Maybe I need the back story? Also any pictures you have :)

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I used to collect belle, along with Thomas, Maddux, Gonzalez and a few other stars who were having great years in the mid 90s, when all the fun inserts were hitting the shelves.

I can't remember the guys name, but he was on several boards and was always selling lots of Belle cards. I think i neither asked him about his remaining stock or he listed it on ebay. I don't have anything scanned, but was just viewing some of the cards I put in top loaders the other day, as it had been buried for some time.

I'll have to dig it back out and scan some of the better looking cards for the 90s thread.

Do you have a want list anywhere?

Bought out a Belle collector! Whoa... Maybe I need the back story? Also any pictures you have :)

Members online