Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

OK, my birthday is in a few days and I want cards! (read)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
QuickFlipKing said:
Now your gettin' it! Take about $35 of that and put it aside and buy yourself a 2011 Baseball America Prospect handbook when it comes ( I think in less than a month). Read that thing like there's no tomorrow from cover to cover and check out all the prospects, compare stats & prices on ebay for prospects, then pick yourself some guys that can be picked up on the cheap on ebay or here. Buy yourself a box from time to time as it does make for good fun value, but I promise you will have more fun cashing in those prospect autos when they jump in value. Just remember, never get too attached to a player's cards so that you don't sale them when they double and then your stuck with them when they go back down to lower amounts then you paid for them. If you take the advice of some on here that have offered it, you will be one of the most educated 16 year old collectors around and very much ahead of the game with your age group that's out buying packs and boxes right now. Mind you there will be lessons to learn. Like when you go out and buy that Alex Gordon Chrome Auto for $135 cause it's hot and then end up selling it for $20 2 years later. I bought $3,000 worth and had to sale in much the same manner. :eek: Stay away from prospects who's cards are already too expensive as generally they have no where to go but down. Good luck and welcome to the board kid.

This is what I am concerned about the most. He said he called a shop and was told about Chrome. Plus he has heard about it on here. He thinks its all the rage. But this road you are talking about going down isn't one of a normal collector. You can use it to buy stuff for your collection with the profit you make. But you also have to weigh the fact that its an awful lot of work to go through and time to spend when you can just as easily take that money and go directly to what you want and buy it. And right now...you still have no idea about it. I doubt you have even read a prospect handbook ever.

An example of what you seem to be doing is like someone who wants to collect cars. They go to a new car lot and see the guys selling the cars and they think to themselves, "If I want to collect automobiles...this is what its about.". But in all reality...its not. Now the guys selling those cars may be using their commission to buy new cars for themselves. But selling the cars they actually sell is a whole new and unnecessary step if their main purpose was to actually buy cars for themselves.

Some people like to make flips to make money to spend for their PC. But its not a necessary step and for the most part...the cards you would be buying to flip in this case(Bowman) aren't good for much more than that. Hey...everyone collects prospects at some point. I collect all the local Texas guys. But if I went down a checklist of Bowman for any given year...I'd bet more than 3/4's of it would be worthless to me and most folks. If you want to collect prospects that's cool. Nothing wrong with that. But from what you have said...it doesn't look like you do. You want these cards because everyone else has them. You need to understand why they have them and what they are doing with them. Then weigh that information against what you want to do and see if it works for you. If its soemthing you want to go through.

zbdub808

Nov 12, 2010
predatorkj said:
QuickFlipKing said:
Now your gettin' it! Take about $35 of that and put it aside and buy yourself a 2011 Baseball America Prospect handbook when it comes ( I think in less than a month). Read that thing like there's no tomorrow from cover to cover and check out all the prospects, compare stats & prices on ebay for prospects, then pick yourself some guys that can be picked up on the cheap on ebay or here. Buy yourself a box from time to time as it does make for good fun value, but I promise you will have more fun cashing in those prospect autos when they jump in value. Just remember, never get too attached to a player's cards so that you don't sale them when they double and then your stuck with them when they go back down to lower amounts then you paid for them. If you take the advice of some on here that have offered it, you will be one of the most educated 16 year old collectors around and very much ahead of the game with your age group that's out buying packs and boxes right now. Mind you there will be lessons to learn. Like when you go out and buy that Alex Gordon Chrome Auto for $135 cause it's hot and then end up selling it for $20 2 years later. I bought $3,000 worth and had to sale in much the same manner. :eek: Stay away from prospects who's cards are already too expensive as generally they have no where to go but down. Good luck and welcome to the board kid.

This is what I am concerned about the most. He said he called a shop and was told about Chrome. Plus he has heard about it on here. He thinks its all the rage. But this road you are talking about going down isn't one of a normal collector. You can use it to buy stuff for your collection with the profit you make. But you also have to weigh the fact that its an awful lot of work to go through and time to spend when you can just as easily take that money and go directly to what you want and buy it. And right now...you still have no idea about it. I doubt you have even read a prospect handbook ever.

An example of what you seem to be doing is like someone who wants to collect cars. They go to a new car lot and see the guys selling the cars and they think to themselves, "If I want to collect automobiles...this is what its about.". But in all reality...its not. Now the guys selling those cars may be using their commission to buy new cars for themselves. But selling the cars they actually sell is a whole new and unnecessary step if their main purpose was to actually buy cars for themselves.

Some people like to make flips to make money to spend for their PC. But its not a necessary step and for the most part...the cards you would be buying to flip in this case(Bowman) aren't good for much more than that. Hey...everyone collects prospects at some point. I collect all the local Texas guys. But if I went down a checklist of Bowman for any given year...I'd bet more than 3/4's of it would be worthless to me and most folks. If you want to collect prospects that's cool. Nothing wrong with that. But from what you have said...it doesn't look like you do. You want these cards because everyone else has them. You need to understand why they have them and what they are doing with them. Then weigh that information against what you want to do and see if it works for you. If its soemthing you want to go through.

very well said

QuickFlipKing

Dec 25, 2010
predatorkj said:
QuickFlipKing said:

If this post was ment for me, I think you are somewhat confused on what it is I do. I don't collect alot of prospects in general, I pick 3 or 4 in any given year (and usually selling them all the following year)by picking up a prospect handbook, reading up on the player, checking his career minor league stats, checking scouting reports on his upside, and then reviewing which of those would be the cheapest and safest route to take, then invest alot of money from cards sold in previous year (and repeat this cycle). And the answer to your statement, YES I absolutely have picked up a prospect handbook and read it in it's entirety. Once a year for the last 6 years to be exact, and in doing so, I have turned my orginal investment of $500 into about $10,000 (6 year span). I then sold off about $5500 of that and actually bought a car. A Muscle car to be exact. Now I have a collection worth about $4,500 on ebay and it only consists of 5 players. Not the entire checklist of Bowman or even 3/4 of it. I do not have a personal collection as this is a means to fuel my other dreams and hobbies. If you are upset that I collect for profit, then whatever. Cause let's be honest, you wouldn't collect if your cards weren't worth anything now would you? Further more, the goal for me is not to add to a personal collection. The goal is for a guy like me who has a wife and kid and makes about $35,000 a year with bills to pay, to be able to afford one day a boat, a pool (for the kids) and most importantly some retirement money for my later years down the road so I don't have to work till I'm 80. Back in 2008 I sold off all of what I had and bought alot of Mike Montgomery & Mike Moustakas and that was it and was all I owned (about $3500 worth)from that point on. Since then, both have trippled in value making this my best year. If you don't like what I do then that's fine, but it works for me and that's what makes me unique as a collector. And yes, it was that Baseball America Prospect Handbook that helped led me to invest in those two. I now am working on a total of 4 minor league prospects from the sales of my Royal's prospects which total that $4,500 ($10,000 before buying the GTO)and I once again, feel pretty good about the new guys as I did my homework. This really doesn't make me all that much different then the guy down the street from you who owns a cards shop does it? So far, my only mistake was my second year when I bought alot of Alex Gordon back in '06. Luckily I spent $500 on Ryan Braun (hedging your bets is important) that year too so I ended up breaking even that year as Braun quadrupled and Alex tanked and I took a bath to the tune of atleast $2500 on him. Braun made it up and so did the ones who followed for the next 2 years and it's been great. Explain to me where that makes me wrong or a bad collector? I collected when I was 10, now I invest instead in this hobby that I have loved all my life. If anyone feels it's wrong of me to treat it like the stock market, I'm sorry, but it's safer then the stock market and I DO have a natural love for the game and the hobby so why not? I'm smart enough to know what to pay and how much to sell it for later and I'm smart enough to hedge my bets without spreading it too thin. And if I take a bath on a $6 prospect auto that I bought $1,000 worth of I can still get $500 back if they sale for $3 each down the line. Bet small on under rated guys and you want suffer from Delmon Young/Alex Gordon syndrome. The under rated guys can go up in value too you know. Look at that Davis kid. Wil Myers helped me out too as I got in on the ground floor with his elites as well as chromes so I think I have a pretty good feel as to what's going on in the hobby. If your post wasn't meant for me? Then my bad, and other then having to read my long rant, no harm done. If it was and you think my kind is destroying the hobby, then I have just one more thing to say: This is America man! Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Religion, Freedom of Oportunity, & Freedom of Cardboard. Or in short-Freedomcardboard....................... Dot com baby!!! :D

QuickFlipKing

Dec 25, 2010
Mr.1989 said:
(in order ~ sorta)
Fandruw25 said:
[quote="Mr.1989":3tlp6mki]
Yeah, I'm a big Triple Threads and Patches fan. I love those kinds of cards. Anyways, I think I'll buy mainly singles from now on and occasionally a box.

9 pages of stubbornness and random comments and this is the result?

YES. You know, in life, you never stop learning. Look, another seemingly random comment!

Krom said:
You should ask for a metronome for your birthday.
Actually, I'm getting an RP1000. The most badass thing Digitech has EVER come up with(pedal-wise)! Or maybe one of the worst (it depends on what side you're on about the supposed chorus issues.) FYI guitar people, I paid $320 brand new. HIT EBAY, there are still some left at that price.
andrewnmisty said:
Is there a "Thread Hall of Fame"? If so, this needs to be in it!
Thanks to everyone who participated in this amazingly hilarious thread.

That should be a new addition to FCB (if it doesn't exist already). I hope this thread makes it.
QuickFlipKing said:
Mr.1989 said:
predatorkj said:
Well it looks like you've axed your plans for buying some wax boxes. I don't play much play station or x-box anymore. Never really had time for it but I was mega addicted to Scarface and I also love Guitar Hero but mostly just to listen to the songs.

In any case...what many have said here about buying singles was pretty solid advice. You can get a slew of nice stuff for that kinda coin. And there is a lot of stuff out there that you don't even know about. You like that Jake Peavy card huh? Imagine owning a bunch of cards like that. Weren't you thinking of having it signed? You could easily buy 100 of those types of cards for that kinda money. Hell...you walk into a card shop...you'd be surprised the kinda deals you can get. Especially if its not a local player. I find some pretty badass patch/auto cards at my shop all the time for anywhere form $5-$20 and they are of good players who just don't happen to garner interest here.

Buying wax, while fun, is a crap shoot. You probably don't want to do it unless you have the cash to lose and its of a product that you'll at least get something cool from even if it doesn't make you money. I wouldn't consider Bowman Chrome cool. Its a money maker at best. Because 9 times out of 10...these guys busting it have a method and know what they are doing. Most normal collectors don't bust chrome. There are a few who heavily follow prospects but with your apparent knowledge of this hobby, you don't seem the type. You could take that money and buy some triple threads or something else of that nature with some cool looking designs. You seem to following on these people's coattails about what to buy. Its not a good idea. You'd be buying for the wrong reasons. In fact...you might want to buy a box just to see if you like it.

The great thing about this hobby is there are many niches for everyone. The one you'd be going down wouldn't be one a normal "collector" would. You'd be trying your hand at prospecting. And that's a lot of money to throw at something you don't really know much about. But you seemed to be hell bent on busting wax. Buy something fun or buy a multitude of boxes. That would be better than busting 8 straight boxes of the same old cards of a bunch of players you have never heard of. Half of whom wouldn't make the majors. And of those that do...only maybe a 1/4 of them will be anyone relevant. So unless you know how to sell properly...you'd be wasting your time.

Yeah, I'm a big Triple Threads and Patches fan. I love those kinds of cards. Anyways, I think I'll buy mainly singles from now on and occasionally a box.

Yes and you summarized my general thoughts on investing. Question though, where do 1/1's go in price? I mean, "it's the only one in the world!" so.......hmm. I'll stick to rookies and final years of retirees.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks and bye.[/quote:3tlp6mki]

Oh, and 1989? That answer to your question about where do 1/1's go in price: The answer to that question isn't that difficult. Say for example that I had the 2008 Bowman Chrome Mike Montgomery Auto Superfractor back in early 2009. I would have probably paid about $500-$600 for it cause I actually did buy a couple of orange refractors for $72 and $85. Super's are a little harder to predict but you can figure it to be (most of the time) 5-8 times the price of an orange auto sometimes as much as 10 though but rarely. That Super of Montgomery would probably sale for $1800 to $2500 now but it's very likely it would go for more then that. That's what happens with Super 1/1's on the good side of the coin. That bad side though would be Kellen Kulbacki's super auto which probably would have sold for $1500 2 years ago and would go for about $300 give or take now. It's a gamble but no different really from buying $1500 worth of Kulbacki and selling it for $300 on todays market. The profit margin is generally even across the board on refractored versions of cards with the slight edge going to refractors, Xfrac, and Blue and sometimes Gold. On second thought....... you might not be ready for this just yet kid. Just go get you another guitar.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
Only got through 5 pages so far, but this thread cracks me up.

If you know you can only afford a certain number of boxes, then that's how many boxes you should buy. Don't give me any of that I'm only a kid crap. 16 is old enough to have common sense and to know that there are no freebies in this world. I'm 32 and with my current salary can't afford to rip multiple boxes of high end stuff. So you know what I do? I open however much my budget allows. I don't come onto forums and look pathetic asking for ridiculous discounts.

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
QuickFlipKing said:
Cause let's be honest, you wouldn't collect if your cards weren't worth anything now would you?

This is what separates you from a collector. You flip and dont care who is it as long as you profit. Collectors arent worried about the value as they arent looking to sell. I have a player collection that nobody else could ever have (or want) unless I decided to sell, yet I continue to pick things up here and there that I dont have. They really arent worth anything price wise, but they have value to me. You look at it in dollar signs, collectors look at it in acquiring a piece for their collection.

QuickFlipKing

Dec 25, 2010
GarkoCollector said:
QuickFlipKing said:
Cause let's be honest, you wouldn't collect if your cards weren't worth anything now would you?

This is what separates you from a collector. You flip and dont care who is it as long as you profit. Collectors arent worried about the value as they arent looking to sell. I have a player collection that nobody else could ever have (or want) unless I decided to sell, yet I continue to pick things up here and there that I dont have. They really arent worth anything price wise, but they have value to me. You look at it in dollar signs, collectors look at it in acquiring a piece for their collection.

You all are such sweet hearts on this board. LOL. As far as what seperates me from a collector, I could safely say that the hobby wouldn't be where we are now if it wasn't for money making collectors like me selling to collectors like you. As well if not for collectors/buyers such as yourself purchasing cards from collectors/sellers like me. There is a small level of dependency on others for everyone here, otherwise I don't see much reason to have a web board about it. Should we get rid of the Transaction section of this board?

Everyone is in this hobby for there on reasons so I don't know why there's such an attempt to seperate me so far from the pack. As was stated by someone else in this thread before, this hobby is unique because there are so many aspects to satisfy so many different type of collectors. Let's be real, there is no shortage of my type of collector/investor on this board. Just because it's not how you choose to honor this hobby doesn't make it wrong. I do keep one out of every card I invest in but I've never really thought of it as my personal collection. It's more like an attachment to the player once I sell them all off as they get kinda hard to let go after a while. I guess that kinda does make me a collector. As far as your cards only having value to you, I can assure you if you put them on ebay all together, they will sell (this gives them value). Like it or not folks value is a big part of this hobby and it's a part that's here to stay. Not liking me because I sell for profit is like really loving Coke but despising the company who makes Coke because they profit from it. Do you buy and bust boxes that you get from a dealer? You can't get them directly from Topps, so do you really want to rid yourselves of the money makers in this hobby? Let's get off the high horses people. Can't we all just get along? ;) Okay, I make money, so what? Why care? After all, this once again, is Freedomcardboard.com?????? Is it not? Some of you are just in so deep to your way of thinking when it comes to collecting that you consider it blasphemer to make a profit. Unless of course your just trying to sell a couple of cards to get something else you like. LOL. Kinda like saying I only cheat on my wife once a year. :lol: So if you've ever sold a card, why throw rocks? After all, that's a real nice glass house filled with some really nice cards your living in. Let's not relive segregation in America on a card collecting forum. Am I only aloud to post in the Transactions sections from now on? LOL. Separate....... but equal. No mixing of the variant of collectors on my board. :lol:

I'm reminded of that scene from the movie clerks when that gum salesman has rallied up all the patrons coming in to buy cigerates and turned them against the smokes selling murchant of death. Once the salesguy is kicked out of the store, one of the angry mob looks at the clerk and says "hey, can I get a pack of Marlboro?" :lol: Sorry, I'm not laughing at you, well........kinda. It's just funny to me that fascism can rear it's ugly head as far as a card forum. What's even more funny is the fact that six months later you'll PM me or one just like me and ask "hey, how much you want for that?" Really?!?!?! Is that what makes you a true collector? I'm black and your probably white, does that make YOU a ture American? This is how $hit got out of hand in Germany dude.

Now for all you other consumers who respect and understand the diversity in roles that must be played in this hobby, no offense. I know that there has got to be plenty of you "TRUE" collectors out there who understand how the world works. After all, I got nothing against YOU if you don't collect for money..................

So anyway,.........Thanks for your attempt at trying to educate me on what makes me not a "TRUE" collector, but from the looks of it I got a pretty good idea of what's really going on ;) ..................

Mr.1989

Dec 19, 2010
predatorkj said:
QuickFlipKing said:

Post thanked. I really want to collect new rookie cards and old mantle cards to be straight forward, but unless I see a really good deal somewhere on a vintage mantle, I'm looking for chrome rookies. Also, random question to everyone: If you had the opportunity to buy 2-3 unopened boxes of 2003 Topps Chrome would you and how much would you pay?

QuickFlipKing

Dec 25, 2010
About $40 to $45 a box is the most I would pay including shipping. There's one on ebay right now for $40.99 with free shipping.

Mr.1989

Dec 19, 2010
QuickFlipKing said:
About $40 to $45 a box is the most I would pay including shipping. There's one on ebay right now for $40.99 with free shipping.

Thanks. Welcome to the boards.

QuickFlipKing

Dec 25, 2010
You too. Anytime you need help or advice, I'm available. Just PM me. Well, generally only at night cause I work the night shift at my current job. Dont' mind some on here as alot of them forgot what it was like to be 16. Or they believe they are too good to have ever been 16 in the first place.

And also, on a series note: Consider spending $35 or so on the new 2011 "Baseball America Prospect Handbook" that will be coming out soon. Also, there's no harm in waiting a few months and picking up a used one off ebay once people feel they no longer need theirs. It will help you out greatly on your quest for Rookies/prospects and can give you alot of insight towards your future in this hobby. The money you'll spend on it is by far worth it when you consider the mistakes you can make on the wrong prospects. But remember, even Baseball America can't predict the future.....

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
QuickFlipKing said:
GarkoCollector said:
QuickFlipKing said:

You all are such sweet hearts on this board. LOL. As far as what seperates me from a collector, I could safely say that the hobby wouldn't be where we are now if it wasn't for money making collectors like me selling to collectors like you. As well if not for collectors/buyers such as yourself purchasing cards from collectors/sellers like me.
Thank you for saving the hobby.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
QuickFlipKing said:
predatorkj said:
QuickFlipKing said:

If this post was ment for me, I think you are somewhat confused on what it is I do. I don't collect alot of prospects in general, I pick 3 or 4 in any given year (and usually selling them all the following year)by picking up a prospect handbook, reading up on the player, checking his career minor league stats, checking scouting reports on his upside, and then reviewing which of those would be the cheapest and safest route to take, then invest alot of money from cards sold in previous year (and repeat this cycle). And the answer to your statement, YES I absolutely have picked up a prospect handbook and read it in it's entirety. Once a year for the last 6 years to be exact, and in doing so, I have turned my orginal investment of $500 into about $10,000 (6 year span). I then sold off about $5500 of that and actually bought a car. A Muscle car to be exact. Now I have a collection worth about $4,500 on ebay and it only consists of 5 players. Not the entire checklist of Bowman or even 3/4 of it. I do not have a personal collection as this is a means to fuel my other dreams and hobbies. If you are upset that I collect for profit, then whatever. Cause let's be honest, you wouldn't collect if your cards weren't worth anything now would you? Further more, the goal for me is not to add to a personal collection. The goal is for a guy like me who has a wife and kid and makes about $35,000 a year with bills to pay, to be able to afford one day a boat, a pool (for the kids) and most importantly some retirement money for my later years down the road so I don't have to work till I'm 80. Back in 2008 I sold off all of what I had and bought alot of Mike Montgomery & Mike Moustakas and that was it and was all I owned (about $3500 worth)from that point on. Since then, both have trippled in value making this my best year. If you don't like what I do then that's fine, but it works for me and that's what makes me unique as a collector. And yes, it was that Baseball America Prospect Handbook that helped led me to invest in those two. I now am working on a total of 4 minor league prospects from the sales of my Royal's prospects which total that $4,500 ($10,000 before buying the GTO)and I once again, feel pretty good about the new guys as I did my homework. This really doesn't make me all that much different then the guy down the street from you who owns a cards shop does it? So far, my only mistake was my second year when I bought alot of Alex Gordon back in '06. Luckily I spent $500 on Ryan Braun (hedging your bets is important) that year too so I ended up breaking even that year as Braun quadrupled and Alex tanked and I took a bath to the tune of atleast $2500 on him. Braun made it up and so did the ones who followed for the next 2 years and it's been great. Explain to me where that makes me wrong or a bad collector? I collected when I was 10, now I invest instead in this hobby that I have loved all my life. If anyone feels it's wrong of me to treat it like the stock market, I'm sorry, but it's safer then the stock market and I DO have a natural love for the game and the hobby so why not? I'm smart enough to know what to pay and how much to sell it for later and I'm smart enough to hedge my bets without spreading it too thin. And if I take a bath on a $6 prospect auto that I bought $1,000 worth of I can still get $500 back if they sale for $3 each down the line. Bet small on under rated guys and you want suffer from Delmon Young/Alex Gordon syndrome. The under rated guys can go up in value too you know. Look at that Davis kid. Wil Myers helped me out too as I got in on the ground floor with his elites as well as chromes so I think I have a pretty good feel as to what's going on in the hobby. If your post wasn't meant for me? Then my bad, and other then having to read my long rant, no harm done. If it was and you think my kind is destroying the hobby, then I have just one more thing to say: This is America man! Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Religion, Freedom of Oportunity, & Freedom of Cardboard. Or in short-Freedomcardboard....................... Dot com baby!!! :D

Jesus Christ dude. Don't you think it would have been a hell of a lot easier to just ask me if I was talking to you? I wasn't. I was speaking to the creator of this thread. So basically you wasted a lot of time on that. Slow down on the greenies bud.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
QuickFlipKing said:
GarkoCollector said:
QuickFlipKing said:

You all are such sweet hearts on this board. LOL. As far as what seperates me from a collector, I could safely say that the hobby wouldn't be where we are now if it wasn't for money making collectors like me selling to collectors like you. As well if not for collectors/buyers such as yourself purchasing cards from collectors/sellers like me. There is a small level of dependency on others for everyone here, otherwise I don't see much reason to have a web board about it. Should we get rid of the Transaction section of this board?

Everyone is in this hobby for there on reasons so I don't know why there's such an attempt to seperate me so far from the pack. As was stated by someone else in this thread before, this hobby is unique because there are so many aspects to satisfy so many different type of collectors. Let's be real, there is no shortage of my type of collector/investor on this board. Just because it's not how you choose to honor this hobby doesn't make it wrong. I do keep one out of every card I invest in but I've never really thought of it as my personal collection. It's more like an attachment to the player once I sell them all off as they get kinda hard to let go after a while. I guess that kinda does make me a collector. As far as your cards only having value to you, I can assure you if you put them on ebay all together, they will sell (this gives them value). Like it or not folks value is a big part of this hobby and it's a part that's here to stay. Not liking me because I sell for profit is like really loving Coke but despising the company who makes Coke because they profit from it. Do you buy and bust boxes that you get from a dealer? You can't get them directly from Topps, so do you really want to rid yourselves of the money makers in this hobby? Let's get off the high horses people. Can't we all just get along? ;) Okay, I make money, so what? Why care? After all, this once again, is Freedomcardboard.com?????? Is it not? Some of you are just in so deep to your way of thinking when it comes to collecting that you consider it blasphemer to make a profit. Unless of course your just trying to sell a couple of cards to get something else you like. LOL. Kinda like saying I only cheat on my wife once a year. :lol: So if you've ever sold a card, why throw rocks? After all, that's a real nice glass house filled with some really nice cards your living in. Let's not relive segregation in America on a card collecting forum. Am I only aloud to post in the Transactions sections from now on? LOL. Separate....... but equal. No mixing of the variant of collectors on my board. :lol:

I'm reminded of that scene from the movie clerks when that gum salesman has rallied up all the patrons coming in to buy cigerates and turned them against the smokes selling murchant of death. Once the salesguy is kicked out of the store, one of the angry mob looks at the clerk and says "hey, can I get a pack of Marlboro?" :lol: Sorry, I'm not laughing at you, well........kinda. It's just funny to me that fascism can rear it's ugly head as far as a card forum. What's even more funny is the fact that six months later you'll PM me or one just like me and ask "hey, how much you want for that?" Really?!?!?! Is that what makes you a true collector? I'm black and your probably white, does that make YOU a ture American? This is how $hit got out of hand in Germany dude.

Now for all you other consumers who respect and understand the diversity in roles that must be played in this hobby, no offense. I know that there has got to be plenty of you "TRUE" collectors out there who understand how the world works. After all, I got nothing against YOU if you don't collect for money..................

So anyway,.........Thanks for your attempt at trying to educate me on what makes me not a "TRUE" collector, but from the looks of it I got a pretty good idea of what's really going on ;) ..................

Now I know you are fried. You just compared what Garko Collector said to **** Germany? Wow.... :?

He actually had a point you know(I mean Garko Collector since we seem to have a problem identifying who is being talked to or about here). Most of us don't care what our collections are worth. I will admit that while I'd like for my collection to be worth something...I don't collect for value. If I did...well I have been buying the wrong cards for the last 4-5 years. The reason I'd like it to be worth something is because nobody usually enjoys spending a lot of money on something that is worthless. Chances are...if you collect a nobody then you aren't spending a bunch on their cards. So if its worth the few bucks you spend...what have you lost?

But nobody wants to pay a slew of money on something that isn't worth a dime. That is common sense. Just like most people, no matter how much they liked it, wouldn't spend $1000 on a random base card. Its not gonna happen.

I collect a ton of players that you probably haven't heard of. For various reasons. I don't care that they are $1 and $2 cards. I buy them because I collect that player. They'd probably never even sell on ebay if I put them up. And chances are...you aren't going to sell a thing to me because I don't buy the kinds of cards you sell at the time that you sell them. I'm a vulture. Not a lion. I'll let those with big wallets swoop in for the kill and be happy to have the scraps. And every now and again I am quicker than one of those lions and I swoop in and leave with a nice card that fits my budget. Its good being a vulture. Those lions sure are messy and they leave a lot of good stuff behind. ;)

QuickFlipKing

Dec 25, 2010
I'm not really suggesting that you would be buying from me. But you have probably bought from someone just like me who sells for profit. As far as the vulture thing, nobody understand that better then me. That's all I do, is buy chrome auto's of players nobody thinks of paying big bucks for at the time. You wont catch me paying more then $7 for a base card auto very often as it's not been the way of how I make money. Heck, Mike Moustakas was the biggest gamble I've taken in years and Mike Montgomery, at the time, was picked up for about $5-$6 each and I don't recall I time ever that you could get them cheaper. I assure you if I bought like a "lion" I wouldn't be in the situation I am now. What I do is no different then buying microsoft on an initial purchase order when it first comes out. Most of the cards I buy, the big collectors at the time don't even want to know about. But somehow I manage to pick the ones that garner attention a year later.

Now as far as the thread confusion, you did quote my response when you replied so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have to be rockin' the gaunge to assume that. If you read your post it's not hard to assume it was in reply to what I wrote. And only the first or initial post was intended for you. The other was for him and it was simply because of his assumption that I do it all for the money, so I'm not a "collector" like he is. Also, I think your assuming I'm upset, when more then anything I'm just having a little fun while defending a principal I strongly believe in. I'm also at work till 7am, so it's not like I have anything better to do then to gaurd this gate and play on the net.

I'm fully aware of all the different types of "collectors" who post on this site and I respect them all as "collectors". Now if anyone would suggest that I am foolish in the way that I collect, naturally I would say that my Ebay and paypal account suggests different. I'm sure your very happy with the way you collect, and that's great. Just don't expect me to conform as I'm enjoying my collecting strategy just fine. I've been reading this board for a little while now and it seems there is alot of dislike for us "seller types" and I don't get it. All I am trying to say is that you and yours are just like me and mine as far as bringing something to this hobby. Personally, I wouldn't change a thing about the direction the hobby has gone in and that includes you as well as me. The hobby has come along way since I was 10 and I love what it has become. If you don't, I don't know what to tell you. I'm currious though about how many on this board are truely bothered about those who make money off of this hobby. I'd love to know why too, but I think it's just a blind distaste of what they see as the rapping of the hobby. Maybe because it's not what it was 20 years ago? Tell you what. You do your thing and I'll do mine and we can all be happy. Your certainly not hurting me with what you do. Am I hurting you by making a buck? It's not like I'm being dishonest or anything. Wish you nothing but the best. Dueces...

QuickFlipKing

Dec 25, 2010
"Jesus Christ dude. Don't you think it would have been a hell of a lot easier to just ask me if I was talking to you? I wasn't. I was speaking to the creator of this thread. So basically you wasted a lot of time on that. Slow down on the greenies bud."

Easier.........Yes. As much fun...................Not by a long shot. ;)

And I don't know anything about greenies as I don't smoke.

And I don't have any base cards for sale at the $1000 range. But it's possible you could have bought some Jeff Bagwell from me about 5 years ago as I did sell a ton of that. Only made about a 25% profit off of it though but it was from my childhood collection as I used to be a huge Bagwell fan. Back in the days when it was him and then Phil Plantier. You know why Jeff Bagwell's 1992 Rookie Sensations cards sales for so much more then any of his 1991 rookie cards? Because of supply and demand/short print run. That's also why the Stadium Club and Fleer Ultra 91' are considered some of his best 91's. I like having a card that I know there aren't a million other guys out there who have it. I know more then you think when it comes to how you might collect. It's just not what brings me enjoyment anymore. I like owning what not everyone can. not because it's too expensive, but because they didn't make a million of them like they did in the 80's and 90's. short print runs is what saved this hobby in my opinion and that's what I like to stick with.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
QuickFlipKing said:
"Jesus Christ dude. Don't you think it would have been a hell of a lot easier to just ask me if I was talking to you? I wasn't. I was speaking to the creator of this thread. So basically you wasted a lot of time on that. Slow down on the greenies bud."

Easier.........Yes. As much fun...................Not by a long shot. ;)

And I don't know anything about greenies as I don't smoke.

And I don't have any base cards for sale at the $1000 range. But it's possible you could have bought some Jeff Bagwell from me about 5 years ago as I did sell a ton of that. Only made about a 25% profit off of it though but it was from my childhood collection as I used to be a huge Bagwell fan. Back in the days when it was him and then Phil Plantier. You know why Jeff Bagwell's 1992 Rookie Sensations cards sales for so much more then any of his 1991 rookie cards? Because of supply and demand/short print run. That's also why the Stadium Club and Fleer Ultra 91' are considered some of his best 91's. I like having a card that I know there aren't a million other guys out there who have it. I know more then you think when it comes to how you might collect. It's just not what brings me enjoyment anymore. I like owning what not everyone can. not because it's too expensive, but because they didn't make a million of them like they did in the 80's and 90's. short print runs is what saved this hobby in my opinion and that's what I like to stick with.
He wasn't talking about smoking, greenies are speed. :geek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts