Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dave Winfield Collectors Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
Here's a little SGA, Oddball size, 4 1/4 x 3 3/4--thanks, what am I supposed to store that in?--3D card of his 3,000th hit. I forget the year, but it's post 2001 HOF Induction.

winny.jpg

And I forgot about these because they were in my Puckett colelction. But they fit here.

puck.jpg

TwinsRube

Jan 29, 2011
I'm not a DW collector specifically, but I recently bought a 2010 Topps Peak Performance Jersey of him at a card show for like $2. Thought it was a good deal for a MN guy. Only Bummer is he's in an Angels uni haha

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
shanks25 said:

Oh, now I see why someone bid against me. Thanks a lot! :)

Greg Cleveland said:
Here's a little SGA, Oddball size, 4 1/4 x 3 3/4--thanks, what am I supposed to store that in?--3D card of his 3,000th hit. I forget the year, but it's post 2001 HOF Induction.

Interesting, I have that same card, only mine has sharp corners instead of rounded! That card shows how lazy Sportflics was with their cards since it's the same technology, only this card shows Winfield's full swing, and the last few Sportflics/Sportflix sets only had TWO images.

That dual bat card of Puckett (w/breathe right) and Winfield is a beauty. I don't understand the grouping of Jordan, Puckett and Winfield, unless it was some reference to being multi-sport athletes in high school.

I did finally snag this one, his very first Major League issue from the 1973 San Diego Padres Dean's Photo Service set:

1973DeansPadres.png

Was the most I think I ever spent for a single Dave Winfield card (just over $20).

Last edited:

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I just noticed on eBay that the 2010 Topps Legendary Lineage card of Dave Winfield and Jason Heyward is different from the same card Topps used in their promotional materials.

This is the real card:
2010ToppsUpdateLineageLL61.png

This is Topps stock image:
2010ToppsLegendaryLineageInsertCard.png

Last edited:

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Greg Cleveland said:
Here's something I've held on to for a long time. Not because of Winfield, but it fits to post it here.

today.jpg

From October 1988 issue of Baseball Cards Magazine. Just goes to show you how the cards that never were concept goes way back.

i loved that magazine

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
We may still be a whole season away from the start of the Alaska Summer League, but here are a few of the several Winfield cards issued by the Alaska Goldpanners:

1988AlaskaGoldpannersAS16.png 2002AlaskaGoldpannersYearbookBC3.png 1990AlaskaGoldpanners37.png 2004MidnightSun5.png

Last edited:

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I finally wrapped up my first Winfield rainbow, with all of the colors of the non-GU 2008 UD Heroes cards:

http://clydes-stalecards.blogspot.com/2011/04/2008-upper-deck-baseball-heroes-dave.html

We all know the card companies like to get a good bit of mileage out of the photos they use. This one hung around for a good six years. I'm surprised it hasn't seen a revival in all of the recent retro sets:

(top to bottom, left to right)
1983 Topps All-Star send-in
1986 Burger King
1986 General Mills
1986 Meadow Gold
1986 Woolworth's
1987 Kraft
1987 Stuart
1989 Cadaco Ellis
1986 Jiffy Pop

1983ToppsASSend-In7.png 1986BK2.png 1986GeneralMills.png 1986MeadowGold7.png 1986Woolworths33.png 1987Kraft33.png 1987Stuart23.png 1989CadacoEllis.png 1986JiffyPop7.png

And me, not being one to argue with what must surely be a great photo to be used that many times, gave it my own treatment way back when I was 12 or 13 years old:
Image_11700.jpg

Last edited:

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I finally landed the toughest of Winfield's 1992 update/traded cards:

U-18.pngU-18b.png

The 1992 Donruss Update set is the toughest (or at least the most expensive) of the update sets to get because they were only released 4 cards at a time in specially marked 1992 Donruss factory sets in red boxes. So this one cost me three full 1992 sets to find. It's not easy to find the sets cheap, most people try to sell them for $19.99 + shipping, and you almost never see the singles anywhere. This one put me somewhere in the vicinity of 1010 different Winfields.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
DaClyde said:
I finally landed the toughest of Winfield's 1992 update/traded cards:

U-18.pngU-18b.png

The 1992 Donruss Update set is the toughest (or at least the most expensive) of the update sets to get because they were only released 4 cards at a time in specially marked 1992 Donruss factory sets in red boxes. So this one cost me three full 1992 sets to find. It's not easy to find the sets cheap, most people try to sell them for $19.99 + shipping, and you almost never see the singles anywhere. This one put me somewhere in the vicinity of 1010 different Winfields.

I had no idea this card was so tough. Don't you just love it when you finally land a card like this. You had to buy three full sets just to have a chance at it. Love tracking down a card that is almost 20 years old!

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
1982FBI_box.jpg

This is what $13.95 gets you when no one else is looking! Saved eBay search for the win!

Last edited:

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
1982FBI.jpg

This is what $13.95 gets you when no one else is looking! Saved eBay search for the win!

Nice pick up! and Wholly smokes i never knew there was a Winfield Collectors thread :lol:
Im not a Winfield Collector myself and only have a few pieces but I am a Hall of fame Collector and always on the Hunt for his rarer memorbilia stuff. Hes one of the more underrated Hofer/3000 hit club members as the guy was a tru athlete and could play all 3 positions in the out field and play them well.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
After years of waiting and watching many go by, I finally manage to pick up my unsigned Winfield Perez-Steele HOF postcard for under $15:

2001PerezSteelePostcard253.jpg
2001PerezSteelePostcard253b.jpg

And then I must have been having a really good month as this virtually unknown card finally reared it's head from a seller in Ontario. This is what Beckett calls the 1997 Blue Jays Sizzler set, which are 5"x7" (mostly) color cards issued by the Blue Jays. The back calls it the "Scorebook Sizzler Cover Set", so maybe they came with scorecards at the game or something. All I know is I had never seen one in my life until the seller started listing several cards from the set on eBay recently. There are still several cards available. This is another of those maybe not so valuable, but extremely hard to find sets that drive me crazy.

1997BlueJaysSizzler43.jpg
1997BlueJaysSizzler43b.jpg

This one was another that I haven't really been chasing, but wanted to pick up cheap. It's what the Yankees mailed back in response to fan mail from some time in the 1960s to about 1983. It's a glossy 4"x5" photo with a blue facsimile autograph on the front. This was probably from 1981 or 1982. I guess this was sort of their early version of the team-issued photo card/postcard items that gets set out with fan packs these days:

1981NewYorkYankeesPhoto.jpg

Last edited:

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Awesome thread guys! Thanks for sharing. Dave is one of the nicest guys out there too. My dad took me to a Padres game when I was young, I was probably around 13 years old or so. I saw Dave Winfield just walking around the stadium. I looked up at him, pointed and said "HEY, IT'S DAVE WINFIELD!" and he just laughed and smiled at us.

I have a couple of his cards. I collect his game used cards in Padres uniform. I refuse to add any Yankees cards to my collection since I HATE the yanks lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts