Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ozzie Smith collectors thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thatsawinner

Jun 4, 2013
Ozzie Smith Phone Cards - Don't know name or year

I wanted to share a few cards that I have received lately. I also have some questions about what is out there that I have never seen before. I'll do this in several posts. First off I purchased these recently and have never seen them before. I was told they were from the early 1990's, but I don't even know the name of them. Anybody seen these before and know the name and year?

Attachments

• Photo May 03, 6 25 53 PM.jpg
    Photo May 03, 6 25 53 PM.jpg
    626.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Photo May 03, 6 26 05 PM.jpg
    Photo May 03, 6 26 05 PM.jpg
    586.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Photo May 03, 6 26 17 PM.jpg
    Photo May 03, 6 26 17 PM.jpg
    597.6 KB · Views: 48

thatsawinner

Jun 4, 2013
1995 Pinnacle Pin Card Mystery Continues

I know I have read on another thread about the 1995 Pinnacle Pin Cards that are a mystery and most people have never seen before. I'm going to try to find that story and post this there as well, but since this is Ozzie Smith, I figured I'd post this here to. I'll throw another curve to the story. I have been very interested in these Pinnacle Pin cards since reading about them and was lucky enough to find one of my own. Now, I have found a packaged version of this card along with the pin. I'm guessing that this packaged version is what a very few people received back in 1995 when they mailed I the Pinnacle Pin Redemption Card.

Attachments

• Photo May 03, 6 27 50 PM.jpg
    Photo May 03, 6 27 50 PM.jpg
    613.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Photo May 03, 6 28 01 PM.jpg
    Photo May 03, 6 28 01 PM.jpg
    621.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Photo May 03, 6 28 26 PM.jpg
    Photo May 03, 6 28 26 PM.jpg
    656.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Photo May 03, 6 28 57 PM.jpg
    Photo May 03, 6 28 57 PM.jpg
    672 KB · Views: 35

thatsawinner

Jun 4, 2013
So some questions now about Ozzie Smith cards. I am wanting to know what the difference between some cards are.

1987 Sports Illustrated - Stickers and Market com, I have the poster mini and the comic book, is this what Beckett is listing?

1989 Sports Illustrated for Kids - says there are 2 cards but I'm confused on the difference?

1995 Classic Phone Card - I have several of the preview but have never seen a regular version, does this exist?

Cadaco Discs - I have the 1989 versions and the 1993, but I've heard there is a 1990 or 1991 that I've never seen, Does this exist?

Thanks for your help!!!

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
So some questions now about Ozzie Smith cards. I am wanting to know what the difference between some cards are.

1987 Sports Illustrated - Stickers and Market com, I have the poster mini and the comic book, is this what Beckett is listing?

1989 Sports Illustrated for Kids - says there are 2 cards but I'm confused on the difference?

1995 Classic Phone Card - I have several of the preview but have never seen a regular version, does this exist?

Cadaco Discs - I have the 1989 versions and the 1993, but I've heard there is a 1990 or 1991 that I've never seen, Does this exist?

Thanks for your help!!!

The Beckett checklist is full of errors. There is only one 1989 SIFK card. The Sports Illustrated sticker and the Market com are the same thing and shouldn't be listed separately.

There have been, to my knowledge, four Ozzie Smith Cadaco discs produced during his career. They are 1984, 1988, 1991, and 1993. I'll post scans below.

Now on the infamous 1995 Classic phone card. There are actually three versions of this card: the promo, the regular, and the specimen (sometimes called "sample") card. Two of the three are impossible and one is very easy as you have mentioned. I had a lengthy discussion some years ago with one of the producers of these cards and he sent me an explanation as to the difference. I saved his email and this was his explanation:

"Specimen cards were usually printers overruns, or special extra cards that were ordered without time on them. These were generally intended to be given to the media for marketing the product, or to company insiders, or to their friends, or for the corporate books. The main difference is that no PIN number is on the Specimen card. Also, usually - the Batch number is not printed on the Specimen cards. This way, the company only paid for printing, but didn't have to pay for the phone time. It was far less expensive for them to produce. The Specimen cards (often can also be called "Samples") are typically a lot scarcer than the 'real" ones, because they usually printed less than 5% of the regular run, and often far less than that. Rarely would they print more than 100 extras, even if the regular print run was huge."

Hope this helped.

examples
cad_zps3024bf0a.jpg
cadb_zpse2f5a473.jpg
cl_zps4d7823a9.jpg
clb_zps8344e9ee.jpg

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
The Beckett checklist is full of errors. There is only one 1989 SIFK card. The Sports Illustrated sticker and the Market com are the same thing and shouldn't be listed separately.

There have been, to my knowledge, four Ozzie Smith Cadaco discs produced during his career. They are 1984, 1988, 1991, and 1993. I'll post scans below.

Now on the infamous 1995 Classic phone card. There are actually three versions of this card: the promo, the regular, and the specimen (sometimes called "sample") card. Two of the three are impossible and one is very easy as you have mentioned. I had a lengthy discussion some years ago with one of the producers of these cards and he sent me an explanation as to the difference. I saved his email and this was his explanation:

"Specimen cards were usually printers overruns, or special extra cards that were ordered without time on them. These were generally intended to be given to the media for marketing the product, or to company insiders, or to their friends, or for the corporate books. The main difference is that no PIN number is on the Specimen card. Also, usually - the Batch number is not printed on the Specimen cards. This way, the company only paid for printing, but didn't have to pay for the phone time. It was far less expensive for them to produce. The Specimen cards (often can also be called "Samples") are typically a lot scarcer than the 'real" ones, because they usually printed less than 5% of the regular run, and often far less than that. Rarely would they print more than 100 extras, even if the regular print run was huge."

Hope this helped.

examples
cad_zps3024bf0a.jpg
cadb_zpse2f5a473.jpg
cl_zps4d7823a9.jpg
clb_zps8344e9ee.jpg

Not sure about Ozzie, but Clark has a couple of other variations on the phone cards. He has a blue $10 card, where the $10 value is shadowed in blue rather than red. He also has one that looks just like a regular phone card on the front, and is sort of like your "specimen" version, but actually has SAMPLE imprinted where the serial number usually is, but isn't the promotional use only one.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008

Hope this helped.

examples
cad_zps3024bf0a.jpg
cadb_zpse2f5a473.jpg
cl_zps4d7823a9.jpg
clb_zps8344e9ee.jpg

Ozzie definitely has a 1990 Cadaco Disc. That's probably the toughest year to find.Copy (2) of img174.jpg

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
This card came in today. Newspaper card from 1981 San Diego Union Tribune. I had never even heard of this card before it popped on Ebay. Just goes to show you just when you think you've seen it all...

a_zpstajfv1uf.jpg

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
This card came in today. Newspaper card from 1981 San Diego Union Tribune. I had never even heard of this card before it popped on Ebay. Just goes to show you just when you think you've seen it all...

I do not see this listed in either Beckett or the Standard Catalog, so it looks like I have another newspaper card cataloging task! Would you mind if I borrowed your image for a blog post? I suspect the images I find will mostly be grainy black & white.

----UPDATE-----

Took me about an hour, but the post is up:

1981 San Diego Union - Meet the Padres

Last edited:

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
I do not see this listed in either Beckett or the Standard Catalog, so it looks like I have another newspaper card cataloging task! Would you mind if I borrowed your image for a blog post? I suspect the images I find will mostly be grainy black & white.

----UPDATE-----

Took me about an hour, but the post is up:

1981 San Diego Union - Meet the Padres

I don't mind you using it. If you need any other scans of cards in the set let me know.

thatsawinner

Jun 4, 2013
Here are some Ozzie Smith magnets

1989 Phoenix Magnetables.jpg
1989 Phoenix Magnetables

x1990 Phoenix Magnetables.jpg
1990 Phoenix Magnetables

1992 Hero's Magnets Series 1.jpg
1992 Hero's Magnets Series 1

1994 Cardinals Magnets GM.jpg
1994 Cardinals Magnets GM

1994 Chris Martin Pro Mags.jpg
1994 Chris Martin Pro Mags

1996 Chris Martin Pro Mags.jpg
1996 Chris Martin Pro Mags

These are the only Ozzie Smith magnets that I am aware of, so if anybody knows or has any different ones, let me know. Thanks​

Last edited:

thatsawinner

Jun 4, 2013
Questions about 1991 Score cards

I recently opened a 1991 M.V.P. Major League Collector Pins as the package had a price tag and writing on it and it wasn't in great condition. The pin and card inside were still just fine. I noticed the card looked different and I compared it to my others. The card that came with the pin has a glossy finish and the regular cards do not. The gloss is not as much as a Topps Tiffany type or the Score Glossy from a few years earlier (1988), but it is still definitely glossy, especially compared to the regular versions I have. It has a shine to it.

Has anyone else opened one of these and noticed the gloss? Is this just a variation? Anybody with any information is much appreciated. Thanks

attachment.php

1991 Score

attachment.php

1991 M.V.P. Major League Collector Pins

attachment.php

1991 Score Glossy

Attachments

• 1991 Score.jpg
    1991 Score.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 143
  • 1991 M.V.P. Major League Collector Pins.jpg
    1991 M.V.P. Major League Collector Pins.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 1991 Score Glossy.jpg
    1991 Score Glossy.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 151

thatsawinner

Jun 4, 2013
I just posted a new thread on this topic about Team Issued Press Photos, hoping to learn more. I'd love to see other Ozzie Team Issued Press Photos to know what years for sure exist. Thanks.

Here is what I have and have seen:

attachment.php

1979 Padres Press Photo

attachment.php

1982 Cardinals Press Photo

attachment.php

1984 Cardinals Press Photo

attachment.php

1987 Cardinals Press Photo

attachment.php

1991 Cardinals Press Photo

attachment.php

1992 Cardinals Press Photo

attachment.php

1993 Cardinals Press Photo

attachment.php

1996 Cardinals Press Photo

attachment.php

1996 Cardinals Press Photo (No Information)

Attachments

• 1979 Padres Press Photo.jpg
    1979 Padres Press Photo.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 141
  • 1982 Cardinals Press Photo.jpg
    1982 Cardinals Press Photo.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 140
  • 1991 Cardinals Press Photo.jpg
    1991 Cardinals Press Photo.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 1996 Cardinals Press Photo.jpg
    1996 Cardinals Press Photo.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 137
  • 1996 Cardinals Press Photo - No Information.jpg
    1996 Cardinals Press Photo - No Information.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 1984 Cardinals Press Photo.jpg
    1984 Cardinals Press Photo.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 1987 Cardinals Press Photo.jpg
    1987 Cardinals Press Photo.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 141
  • 1992 Cardinals Press Photo.jpg
    1992 Cardinals Press Photo.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 1993 Cardinals Press Photo.jpg
    1993 Cardinals Press Photo.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 137

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Questions about 1991 Score cards

I recently opened a 1991 M.V.P. Major League Collector Pins as the package had a price tag and writing on it and it wasn't in great condition. The pin and card inside were still just fine. I noticed the card looked different and I compared it to my others. The card that came with the pin has a glossy finish and the regular cards do not. The gloss is not as much as a Topps Tiffany type or the Score Glossy from a few years earlier (1988), but it is still definitely glossy, especially compared to the regular versions I have. It has a shine to it.

Has anyone else opened one of these and noticed the gloss? Is this just a variation? Anybody with any information is much appreciated. Thanks

Guess I need to buy another one to find out. Have you opened a 1990 to see if that card is different as well?

Schmidt1972

Apr 20, 2017
Chelsea MI
Hello fellow Ozzie Collectors. I stumbled across this thread while googling various topics to fill in gaps in my collection. I want to thank everyone for the prior posts. They have been very informative. I'm in the process of rebuilding my database. I will be happy to share images that I have if there is something you've been looking to confirm.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Ozzie Smith fans,

I recently picked up a lot of game-used lineup cards that include many line-up cards from early in Smith's career 1978-1981 including a number of line-up cards from his rookie season.

Many of the cards also feature Dave Winfield, Gaylord Perry (1978 CY Young winner) and Rollie Fingers (1978 Rolaids Relief winner).

For those not familiar, managers for each team are required to fill out a line-up card on which they set the batting order for the game. Cards are done in triplicate, so there is (generally) 1 standard copy and 2 carbon copies. One is kept, one given to the opposing manager, and one given to the umpire.

If anyone is interested in making a deal for one (or more) please let me know.

I hope it is ok that I post this here. I figure there in a Smith thread, people would appreciate the opportunity. Thanks!

thatsawinner

Jun 4, 2013
I posted these pictures to a topic about the 1989 Topps Superstar Watch, but I figured I'd post it here too. I have 3 different colors of the Ozzie, but I do seem to remember the white was harder to find.

I've been bad about checking this site regularly, but would love to start seeing some other Ozzie Smith stuff on this Ozzie Smith Collectors Thread again. I love seeing or learning about things that I may not even know exists. Then I can add it to my list of things to start looking for. Maybe I'll try to start sharing some stuff more regularly too.

1989 Topps Superstar Watch - Black.JPG1989 Topps Superstar Watch - Blue.JPG1989 Topps Superstar Watch - White.JPG

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
[MENTION=10159]thatsawinner[/MENTION] - here's an oddball Ozzie Smith item I just learned about. It features my guy Mark Grace so that's how I discovered it. Granted, they're pretty small!

This is a 4"x9" postcard size print of a triptych (3-panels that form one picture) painting done by artist Andy Jurinko, published 1988 by Bill Goff - GoodSportsArt.com. It's entitled "Wrigley Field Triptych." As you can see on the back of the card, Ozzie Smith is the batter in the painting. The game is identified as August 14, 1988. Looking at the box score, Smith went 0 for 4 that day and Cubs beat the Cardinals 8-3. Grace went 1 for 4 with 2RBI!

s-l900.jpg

s-l900.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts