User Tag List

Thread: Some vintage grading questions

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some vintage grading questions

Here are some vintage cards I'm thinking of getting graded. I'm new at this so any advice is welcomed.

This Cochrane is pretty nice except for the discoloration on the top right. I always thought that it was shading on the original card, but I don't see it when I look at high-grade examples. I guess it is some kind of gum stain or something. How much will this effect the potential grade?

This Marquard is definitely worthy of grading. Should I go PDA or SGC? I like PSA but I see a lot of t206 cards in SGC holders. Is there a big difference in sale value? It may be a moot point as I probably want to hold on to it.

This Aaron is sweet too, but how much will the OC top to bottom hurt the grade?

Finally, does this card look as sweet as I think it looks? With thise black borders, these have to be a tough grade. This isn't a terribly valuable card, but should I send it in? What grade is needed to bump the price up, and would this card get that grade?

Thanks for looking!
    HOF auto collector - I'm up to 258 different in my collection (used to have a photobucket link here, but photobucket sucks)

GO ROCKIES!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Some vintage grading questions

Go with SGC for all of them IMO. Your 33 Goudey might get a lower surface grade thus lowering the overall grade a little bit. (Besides the stain it looks to be in really nice shape)

The Aaron looks to be in very good shape, and the centering will hurt it a little bit (at most 2 pts lower)

The last card would be too bad to get graded, since it's a RC card...But would need a scan of the back to get a better range of grade.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scotty21690

The last card would be too bad to get graded, since it's a RC card...But would need a scan of the back to get a better range of grade.
    You mean it wouldn't be too bad? Here's the back. I appreciate the response.

And why do you prefer SGC? Price/value/aesthetics?

HOF auto collector - I'm up to 258 different in my collection (used to have a photobucket link here, but photobucket sucks)

GO ROCKIES!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Bombjack

What I meant was that the grade will determine whether to grade it or not. I would check out completed listings to see if it's worth getting graded.

also, I would use SGC because of aesthetics...especially with white boardered cards. I'm pretty sure there's not much of a price difference between the two.

Are these for your PC or to sell?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I meant was that the grade will determine whether to grade it or not. I would check out completed listings to see if it's worth getting graded.

also, I would use SGC because of aesthetics...especially with white boardered cards. I'm pretty sure there's not much of a price difference between the two.

Are these for your PC or to sell?

The Marquard and Cochrane are PC, as they were bought for me by my dad a LONG time ago. Before you were born, if previous posts haven't lied about your age.

The Aaron and RC card would probably be up for sale. Need funds to go after auto'd vintage!

GO ROCKIES!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Marquard and Cochrane are PC, as they were bought for me by my dad a LONG time ago. Before you were born, if previous posts haven't lied about your age.

The Aaron and RC card would probably be up for sale. Need funds to go after auto'd vintage!
    Yeah those will look very nice in SGC slabs for the PC.

As for the auto'ed vintage....Who yah after next???

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah those will look very nice in SGC slabs for the PC.

As for the auto'ed vintage....Who yah after next???
    Anybody I don't already have, really. I saw this one pop up and got excited, but I don't like the sig. It looks nothing at all like most of his sigs. I think it was signed by him (and obviously PSA?DNA does too), just not a great example. I will probably bid, but not too much.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=015

GO ROCKIES!

The One and Only Steelers Super Colector!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the 71 looks to be the best overall
    I would send that one to PSA