Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mark McGwire Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

17ROCKIES12 said:
I'm sure most of you have seen this, but here is an IP auto I got this year
47518_152919304733778_100000471295702_420874_1103355_n.jpg

I should be able to make it to 9 Cardinals games next year, so I'm hoping to get at least one more.
Things I want signed
1) 1991 Topps (for my set)
2) Something from the 1998 All Star Game in Colorado
3) Ticket from when I saw him play in '98

awsome!

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
tonsofcommons said:
Any of you Big Mac studs have a 2000 Pacific Invincible Wild Vinyl serial number /10?

I think Jay got that one in one of the collection breakups. Still looking for one myself!

Dec 10, 2008
tonsofcommons said:
Any of you Big Mac studs have a 2000 Pacific Invincible Wild Vinyl serial number /10?

I think I have that card. I know I have a 2000 Pacific /10 that has tie dye effect printed on what I assume is vinyl. Let me look around for it and I'll post a picture.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
I have alot of Mac autos and this looks like every one i have seen, except obvious fakes. Show me an authentic Mac auto in thick paint pen that different.
Edit, i am more sure of the Pujols and Edmonds being real than anything and the Kyle is similar to others i have seen. It was only $100 so its worth sending it off to psa just to be sure, and for that $ if the Mac was fake and the Pujols alone was real its still worth more than cost.

Dec 10, 2008
Krom said:
I have alot of Mac autos and this looks like every one i have seen, except obvious fakes. Show me an authentic Mac auto in thick paint pen that different.

I can and I will, I just have to search through my pictures.
I also know it won't matter; it's amazing what people can't see when they don't want to. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but that's not even really a good forgery at that. Some HUGE red flags, no matter how many McGwire auto's you have or what medium they are signed on, doesn't pertain to this particular signed piece.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
Mark McGwire Museum said:
Krom said:

I can and I will, I just have to search through my pictures.
I also know it won't matter; it's amazing what people can't see when they don't want to. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but that's not even really a good forgery at that. Some HUGE red flags, no matter how many McGwire auto's you have or what medium they are signed on, doesn't pertain to this particular signed piece.
I am not saying your wrong. But i have seen authentic autos of players that rushed and signed on the feild compared to any other time. You can see the Edmonds on the side and if you have ever seen his sig enough you can tell thats real, so like i said i dont mind having it looked over by psa.

Were not trying to bust your balls dude, but trust us, All we collect is MCGWIRE. I have close to 300 McGwire autographs. I have been collecting him for 20 years. That autograph is a fake.

Steiner sports signed helmet. In Silver Paint.

helmet.jpg

The M in McGwire is bad as well as that "E" at the end which he NEVER puts out.

Dec 10, 2008
Krom said:
I am not saying your wrong. But i have seen authentic autos of players that rushed and signed on the feild compared to any other time. You can see the Edmonds on the side and if you have ever seen his sig enough you can tell thats real, so like i said i dont mind having it looked over by psa.

That's cool about the other sig's, and I hope for your sake they are real, and somebody just tried to add a Mac to it.

On the other hand, show me ANY authentic McGwire signature, rushed or not, that has the whole 2nd M in the k loop. Also show me any (doesn't even have to be the same one, because it doesn't exist) that has a cursive E at the end. I'm tired of doing the work. Your turn, just show me those two things above. Never mind the handful of other things wrong wrong wrong with that signature.

When McGwire "rushes" you get a ballpark sig. He doesn't take every instinctual and subconscious writing habit he has and throw it out the window. Nobody does.

Krom

Jun 13, 2010
Long Island
I got ya. Still hopeing tha Pujols is real, have had a few rc Pujols autos and it looks good to me, but hey some fakes are better tahn others, even 100% fake at $100 is a cheap gamble. When i first started buying autos on the bay i paid 100 each for a cobb cut (way fake now that i know better) an Ott thats fake too, but a Paul Waner hitting booklet that i sold for about 300, and a Tris cut that i thought was altered but found out it was just a water stain and affected the ink and sold that for about 300 also. The Lajoie in my sig also was 100 and have looked at every one authenticated on the bay for years and would bet thats good. Just wanted to say i am never upset to find an auto fake, i am in the + too far to worry. Also bought an unauthenticated 1918 tigers ball a while back with 12 or so sigs w/ Cobb and Jennings for 2000. Later sold to one of the bigger auction houses (Heritage or something like that) for 3500 cash. Really regret the sale but that was a good profit. Thanks for the heads up.

Dec 10, 2008
When you see something signed in paint pen, you need to be extra careful and scrutinize it even closer. A lot of forgers like using them because they can sign 75% slower without it being evident, which makes it easier for them to get a close copy of what they are forging. The paint pens also hide the overlapping pen strokes, which hides even more clues to the authenticity.

Also, another collector-to-collector warning. Pujols' signature is amazingly easy to forge, especially the older style as most guys write with a right slant naturally. There's a lot of money to be made practicing Pujols signature a couple hours a day, and some of these scumbags do. Provenance is king.

Members online

Latest posts