Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mark McGwire Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

docdw25 said:
Big Mac McGwire said:
jam92102 said:
Nice auto for sale but pretty steep!

[ebay:1htcuko7]150537463011[/ebay:1htcuko7]

veRY rARE. But the auto is fading badly.

That's the last McGwire auto I bought. Got it back in June for just over $200.

2003Spokesman-auto.jpg
t c

i still kick myself for not seeing that card. I ended up seeing it on a completed items search and almost put my fist through the
wall. :evil:

delsant2

May 29, 2010
hello everyone! hope everything is going well for you all! just wanted to post a few pictures of relatively new arrivals. was able to find some key need cards from my list.

not going to bother taking a picture, but i finally finished the base card 99 topps hr set. added 5, 50, 55, 57, 58 and 70 recently to finish it off!

finally tracked down one of those alternate looking versions of the 1986 bk card! does anyone know if these 2003 play ball 1941 versions of these cards are hard to find? i didn't see it on joe's website, so i was excited to add it to my collection, but i do not think it is rare at all, right? wrong thread for the wright card, but i have been searching for over two years for this.
001-2.jpg

i thought i remember doc wanting to see a picture of the 02 topps chrome black refractor. i know it was a long time ago, but i figured they look cool together so i'd post the picture.
005-1.jpg

i know most everyone doesn't bother with these fleer/pacific bankruptcy stuff, but i was able to put these together for a pretty reasonable price. thought it looked pretty cool to share with you all anyway!
006-1.jpg

also, thank you jeffrey for helping me add a ton of new cards to my collection. i really appreciate all of those older, hard to find late 80's cards!

hope everyone has a lovely holiday and a superb new year!!!

regards,

mark

delsant2

May 29, 2010
thanks friend, i appreciate that! by the way, very nice autographs you have gotten recently, especially at the price you won the latest one for! super job!!

delsant2

May 29, 2010
docdw25 said:
Anyone need these? I can move them cheap or trade.

w_1997--fleer--tiffany.jpg
w_1998--epix--moment--orange.jpg
w_1998--donruss--ss--check--proofs.jpg
w_1999--flair--1.jpg

hey doc! i could use the fleer tiffany and donruss signature proof. knowing your collection, i doubt there is anything i have that you don't to trade, lol. let me know about a straight purchase though.

regards,

mark

jam92102

Dec 13, 2008
What's up fellas. Got this card in today

mcgwiremothers.jpg

Should have a scan of the back tomorrow. The back made me question what exactly I had. I just assumed it was a ip auto. But the back says Autograph at the bottom along with the stats. Is this a mothers cookies back pulled auto? If so how rare are they. Sorry for no scan. Should have one tomorrow.

Thanks in advance

Jim

I present to you , originally given to one of his bench coaches George Kissell, One of the batting gloves Mark McGwire wore when hit the next to last HR of his career
It is inscribed " To George" 9-28-01 HR 582"

I did not want to touch my savings but i knew i would hate myself down the road if i passed it up as this can not be replaced

9f2875dd.jpg

jam92102

Dec 13, 2008
Big Mac McGwire said:
Some of the mothers cookies were pack inserted. I believe they were signed in blue. I am sure Jay aka McGwireMuseum knows the details
Here is mine. Hopefully Jay can shed more light

i25.jpg

Another thing that got me suspicious is being 1987 it would have been the older auto like yours where as mine is black and the newer auto. Something fishy there.

jam92102

Dec 13, 2008
Big Mac McGwire said:
I present to you , originally given to one of his bench coaches George Kissell, One of the batting gloves Mark McGwire wore when hit the next to last HR of his career

I did not want to touch my savings but i knew i would hate myself down the road if i passed it up as this can not be replaced

9f2875dd.jpg

Wow that is a one of a kind piece. Any back story on why George gave it up? Must be hard up for money? Congrats man! No words to describe that!

jam92102 said:
Big Mac McGwire said:
Some of the mothers cookies were pack inserted. I believe they were signed in blue. I am sure Jay aka McGwireMuseum knows the details
Here is mine. Hopefully Jay can shed more light

i25.jpg

Another thing that got me suspicious is being 1987 it would have been the older auto like yours where as mine is black and the newer auto. Something fishy there.

Yours was most likely an IP but do not take that as fact as i am not 100% sure of the backstory regarding. I am only stating what i have heard in the years past. If i had to ask anyone i would jay or Joe ring. PSA dated the card to 89 as they could be wrong. But the late 80's auto is good indicator to go along with the story that they were signed in the 80's. The card store i got it from back in 98' had about 2-3 including mine. All identical signed in the blue ink so that adds more support that they were signed at the same time and issued at once.

jam92102 said:
Big Mac McGwire said:

9f2875dd.jpg

Wow that is a one of a kind piece. Any back story on why George gave it up? Must be hard up for money? Congrats man! No words to describe that!

Thanks jim. Not sure as Kissell passed away a few years ago. The inscription concludes the reason how in 2001 Mac gave alot of HR items away as gifts as he knew it would be his final season

jam92102

Dec 13, 2008
Here's the back of the card. Don't know if it's a fake card with fake auto, fake card with real auto, real card and real auto, LOL.

packpulled.jpg

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
jam92102 said:
Here's the back of the card. Don't know if it's a fake card with fake auto, fake card with real auto, real card and real auto, LOL.

I'm pretty sure that "AUTOGRAPH" on the back doesn't refer to the card being signed before being issued, but instead just gives a spot where one can get the card signed in person.

jam92102

Dec 13, 2008
LWMM said:
jam92102 said:

I'm pretty sure that "AUTOGRAPH" on the back doesn't refer to the card being signed before being issued, but instead just gives a spot where one can get the card signed in person.

Gotcha. That would make a lot more sense of it being an IP or TTM auto. I see what you're saying now. Didn't look at it that way. Thanks!

Members online