Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mark McGwire Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

delsant2

May 29, 2010
i could be imagining things, but i swear one of the guys on here has the following ebay user name: Member id stl25_70hr98

if you don't mind me asking, i wanted to know who you are, and i just wanted to thank you for the pinnacle plates and let you know they went to a mcgwire collector who will appreciate them VERY much.

hope everyone is doing well otherwise!!

regards,

mark

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
picked this up:

093011WhitePlainsShow20.jpg

i THINK the letter is a generic "thank you" from the team after the rush of fan mail that hit the club house after the home run shenanigans

FLOUR

Jan 20, 2009
^^ That's one I wanted for a long time. I have the Griffey and Thomas from the same set.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
delsant2 said:
i could be imagining things, but i swear one of the guys on here has the following ebay user name: Member id stl25_70hr98

if you don't mind me asking, i wanted to know who you are, and i just wanted to thank you for the pinnacle plates and let you know they went to a mcgwire collector who will appreciate them VERY much.

regards,

mark

Niiiiice pickup! I was going to bid on them but forgot to both go on Ebay as well as set a snipe. I'm kind of glad I did so I didn't drive the price up on you. Congrats on a nice pickup!

delsant2

May 29, 2010
onionring9 said:
delsant2 said:

regards,

mark

Niiiiice pickup! I was going to bid on them but forgot to both go on Ebay as well as set a snipe. I'm kind of glad I did so I didn't drive the price up on you. Congrats on a nice pickup!

Thanks Joe! I appreciate you forgetting, haha. Saved me a few dollars. I went plate crazy that night and put in an offer on the stadium club magenta plate (I'm sure you know which one I am talking about), and the fellow accepted the next day. Was less than half his asking price, so I'm happy there. Just got it in the mail earlier this week. I should send you the scans of these plates for the site.

I posted it in a separate thread but I have no problem posting it 
In the one place where it can be appreciated more. 

Picked this up off eBay. It's on it's way to my filthy hands right now. 

I believe it to be used for 4 Home runs. 
It is from early 1993 in which he Played in 27 games 
And hit 9 Long balls. 

It has a very distinct pine tar pattern on the center brand 
And then a light ring type coat around and above the dark coat. 

Here is the bat. It is pounded with a nice crack. 
b221318a.jpg

Back barrel 
5dcfefd5.jpg

On May 3rd 93' he went 4-4 with 2HR's. 
Here is a pic from the game 

MAC932.jpg

Here is a pic from May 5th 1993. 
First of a 2 game series @ Boston. 
He had 1 hit in this game - a single off the monster. He is using the same bat from the Yankee game. 
MAC931.jpg

Here are pics from the following game. A day game on  May 6th. He hit 2 HR's. 1 came off Roger Clemens. 
 Pics are blurry but you can see the dark tar in the middle. 

bOSTON932NDhr.png

And here is what I feel is my bat being used by mac in the day game @ Fenway.

THANKS JOE RING - You had help with me just about Confirming what I believe to hope true !!!

My Bat On Cardboard 
McGwire94Ultra.jpg

This was the only time mac visited Fenway in 93. So going by the trend that Fleer uses pictures from the previous season , then this is mac using my bat on the day game for 2 HR's. 

I have no doubt this is indeed the bat used on May 3 for 2 HR's (career#'s 224 & 225) and then on May 6th for Career #'s 226 & 227. 

Here is my bat aligned with the  bat from the May 3rd Yankee gsnm

b3b69bf2.jpg

Knowing how he always used bats till they cracked & the bat number being very low I think I added one nice piece of history.

I just want to say that everytime is saw mac play at Yankee stadium , at least 1 game from 1990 through 1997 , I also was at a game in 1987 where he homered but I was 4 and don't remember it , anyway I always would dream of owning a bat that I saw him use.

If this indeed the bat I believe it to be , I now feel my lifelong dream has come true.

As I as 10 year old fan, my yearly venture of seeing McGwire play in the Bronx , took place
On May 4th. If this indeed the bat , I saw him use this bat that day. And I am sure
That while sitting there I daydreamed of running onto the field and stealing MAC's bat.

So after seeing the evidence I have presented , do you think
The bat is a match ?? Be honest. Remember , 27 games , and the way he uses his bats, that doesn't sound like he used many that season. I have footage of the last 2 HR's if the season which were 8 & 9 and he is using a diff bat. There were 2 games he played after the 7th HR. I think he cracked it during that span and that is why he was using a diff bat for the 8th HR.

Sorry for the long post , but details are important with this possible weapon of destruction.
But if it is really the bat , I now own a bat that was used to hit almost half the total HR's hit during that season.

jbs189

Mar 30, 2010
I hope everyone is all doing well. Been a little while since I have posted on here as work has been a bit crazy the past few months. below are a few cards I have picked up over the past couple of months. I was curious if anyone had an opinion on the Collector's Choices of the 80s Auto on if it is real or not? I liked the auto being on one of the older unlicensed cards of McGwire, and it wasn't very much so I picked it up cheap.

Also, and maybe a bit off topic, but I have been thinking more and more about trying to get a 1968 Nolan Ryan/Jerry Koosman rookie. It seems that there might be a number of reprints of the card that are hard to tell apart from the original. Any tips on how to distinguish the cards or a best approach to getting a decent price on one?

img057.jpg

img058.jpg

jam92102 said:
Nice pickups jbs. And Big Mac, I'm speechless. Congrats buddy. That's awesome!
Thanks bro.

Thanks to the iPhone 's ability to blow up pics
My research and the help of the 94 fleet ultra confirmed what I thought.

Notice the black rack streak next the adirondack
Label. It's the same as on the card. The cards picture is from
May 6th at Fenway where he hit 2 HR's.

Then notice the spot on the barrel of line tar. It's the same placement on the bat.
Then there's a black mark across from the pine tar splotch. It's also on my bat covered by
The autograph.
c880ad8f-1.jpg
abd6b244-2.jpg

af839d23.jpg
abd6b244-1.jpg

Latest posts