Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mark McGwire Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dec 10, 2008
Damn Don, that's an awesome bat, and with some great photo-matching.

jbs, very nice pick-ups. Unfortunately that auto is no good on that Broder card. That Police card is pretty rare though, I wish I wasn't on a sabbatical from collecting when it was listed.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
miguelcabrera said:
onionring can you explain to me the set breakdown of the card in your avatar. are there numbered ones, refs etc?

210 total:
70 base
70 chrome
70 refractor

None are serial numbered, they each just have a different number in the background. A McGwire collector from a long time ago calculated out that the print run of the refractors is around 10-20. I can't confirm that other than hearsay.

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
onionring9 said:
miguelcabrera said:
onionring can you explain to me the set breakdown of the card in your avatar. are there numbered ones, refs etc?

210 total:
70 base
70 chrome
70 refractor

None are serial numbered, they each just have a different number in the background. A McGwire collector from a long time ago calculated out that the print run of the refractors is around 10-20. I can't confirm that other than hearsay.

the refractors have a total print run of around 10 to 20 per each number homerun? thats a lot less than i thought. what do they usually go for?

After owning them for 2 years and basically sitting
In a shoe box out of sight , I finally purchased a long overdue
Cleat display case. Finding this model was not easy. It is wall mountable but also has
The option for table top display. The most regular type of cleat case is for wall
Display And they run for 250$

I found my preferred model on the Internet for a
Steal price of 99$

So here they Are fresh Out of the Closet ;)

1995 Mark McGwire Game Used inscribed cleats used for career
HR 272 & most likely many more

They are both inscribed 9/20/95
On that day he hit career HR 272 off Shawn Boskie.
The use is tremendous. Definately used for an extensive amount
Of time.

Here is Mac Wearing the cleats from the
9-20-95 Game

cleats5.jpg

cleats3.jpg

Mcgwire.jpg

3abcc423.jpg

e173c5fa.jpg

a1fcf513.jpg

I remember when I got the 97 studio 8x10 signed I would try to get the 98
When it came out as well.

Turns out I got the 98 SLU signed instead.
It would be the last auto I got from him during his playing days.

Everytime I see the 98 I think how I wanted to get it signed.

Saw this as soon as it got listed in eBay.

BIN of 47$
1998 Donruss Studio 8x10
Full signature
a8b10821-1.jpg

Finally got this in the mail.

It is # 9. And it was one of the hardest to find.

Graded a 7.5 By PSA/DNA GU Bat Expert John Taube

Light use is better then no Use.

Has a very early batch code. One of the first few batches he probably got back in that ROOKIE SEASON

1 9 8 7 Mark McGwire Game Used Autographed Rookie Season Bat

5be9206a.jpg

b080e589.jpg

072f5ec8.jpg

07a8a475.jpg

a83a4930.jpg

134e9eb8.jpg

e1467c86.jpg

42611e7c.jpg

2e983313.jpg

45242639.jpg

2e9c1b9a.jpg

8427f396.jpg

028cb8a1.jpg

a2ec6ea5.jpg

5fb722ed.jpg

jbs189

Mar 30, 2010
A couple recent pickups. 1993 Cooperstown Promo, 1991 Topps A*B* Variation at the bottom (haven't seen one of these before), 1997 Donruss Elite Leather and Lumber, 1996 Pacific Printing Plate. I also recently achieved the 3000 different McGwire card milestone which I was pretty excited about. Such a long way to go.....

img060.jpg

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
jbs189 said:
A couple recent pickups. 1993 Cooperstown Promo, 1991 Topps A*B* Variation at the bottom (haven't seen one of these before), 1997 Donruss Elite Leather and Lumber, 1996 Pacific Printing Plate. I also recently achieved the 3000 different McGwire card milestone which I was pretty excited about. Such a long way to go.....

img060.jpg

Nice haul there!

That's only the second cooperstown promo I've seen. Where'd you find yours?

Also, do you know anything more about that A*B*? I've never seen that before.

Great pickups!!

jbs189

Mar 30, 2010
I got the 1993 Promo on ebay a month or two back. It was in a lot with a couple of his other 90s promos. Was excited to add it to the collection as it was one of the cards I wasn't sure I was ever going to find. Now if I can only hunt down a 1988 Topps Cloth and 1988 Score Promo.

For the 1991 Topps A*B* variation, this was the first I had heard of them. I was a little hesitant on purchasing it as I didn't know much about it. I did some research on it and found out some info from some 1991 Topps variation/error gurus postings on a few collectors sites and blogs (they seem pretty rare). It seems as though only about 60 different players in the set have been identified as having this variation, with McGwire being the biggest name from the listings I could find. All of the A*B* variations found have been found with the bold stamp. The guy I got it from said he pulled it from wax. I ended up paying $60 for the card, which is why I had to think about it for a bit, but wasn't sure if I would ever see a version of the card again, and I really like getting older oddball cards from his A's days, so I just bit the bullet on it and got it.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Its come to the point where u can't throw out anything ;), ill have check thru my 91t macs now.

file this under the "you never know what youll find in a bargain box" section: just bought a 98 topps tek mac diffractor
for a buck.

Members online