Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mark McGwire Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I've already got one so won't be going after it. Think I've got all but two prototypes as well. Looks like some heavy hitters are on it though. We'll see in a bit!

7guns

Aug 7, 2008
Norfolk Va.
Life has me busy,but I am looking 3-5 plastic protectors for my Classic Doubles Lineups. I can't. seem to find them anywhere if anyone has any or knows were I can get them plmk Thanks all.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I wouldn't call this a steal but something to think hard about because the overlap of Griffey collectors and only 10 exist. I want to say I got mine for 550.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Might just be me, but I had a heck of a time finding the big bang bucks card in this auction. 192958522676

OaklandA's_915

Mar 24, 2019
Hello! My name is Eric. This isn't exactly the way I wanted to introduce myself, but I thought I'd let you know to stay away from the 1998 Bowman Golden Anniversary Refractor that's currently on eBay. It's a back doored replacement card that had a fake serial number applied within the past few years. Anyhow, hopefully we can get this thread going again. I'd love to talk about Big Mac cards with all of you

OaklandA's_915

Mar 24, 2019
Are you talking about the BGS 9? And how would you know unless you did the deed yourself.
No not at all. I was interested in buying it, but I asked the guy who did a write up about the fake serial numbers on these. He's going to post on here later about why the number is wrong. I was just trying to help...

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Hello! My name is Eric. This isn't exactly the way I wanted to introduce myself, but I thought I'd let you know to stay away from the 1998 Bowman Golden Anniversary Refractor that's currently on eBay. It's a back doored replacement card that had a fake serial number applied within the past few years. Anyhow, hopefully we can get this thread going again. I'd love to talk about Big Mac cards with all of you

Here’s a summarized version of a write-up I did on these - only focused on the serial numbering to help with distinguishing between real and counterfeit stamps:

Are you talking about the BGS 9? And how would you know unless you did the deed yourself.
nosterbor - There are counterfeit versions of the 1998 Bowman Chrome Golden Anniversary Refractors in baseball

These cards were originally unnumbered proofs which were obtained by unscrupulous owners, counterfeit stamped, and sold on the secondary market. Unnumbered proofs are common for ‘98 and ‘99 Topps/Bowman baseball products (Paper, Chrome, Finest) due to former Topps employees selling off uncut sheets/proofs from the Topps Vault in the late-2000s.

Picture 1: ”A” (Aaron Boone) is the archetype and has the same stamping font as the archetype I referenced in my ‘98 Centurion Refractors post. “B” (Tatis, Sr.) and “C” (Cruz Jr.) feature stamping fonts that are visibly different from font used by Topps. Authentic stamps feature a slightly thicker font (see the "/" and the "5"). Further, the "5" is narrow in authentic stamps - the loop is condensed almost like a straight-edge is compressing it inwards; the counterfeit stamp has a rounder loop. Lastly, the downward vertical line at the top of the "5" on authentic versions are close to 90 degrees; counterfeit stamps feature this line an angle closer to 80 degrees.

Picture 2: See the side-by-side of a counterfeit-stamped Griffey with an archetype stamp for each number, 1-5 . Notice also that the stamping font on the Griffey is almost identical to the Cruz Jr. and Tatis. Back in August 2017, there was a Griffey that was called out as counterfeit by myself and some other collectors for the same reasons as the Cruz, Jr. and Tatis, Sr. It was also stamped 5/5 and listed by same consignor as the Cruz Jr. and Tatis, Sr. (taken down).

I was able to establish direct contact with the owner of the Griffey and he claimed he didn't know, apologized for listing a counterfeit, and took the eBay listing down. However, the same Griffey 5/5 surfaced at the National last year and it seems as though the seller found a sucker to pay $7,500 for it (more details you can read in the actual listing, posted below). Essentially the owner who dropped $7,500 on a counterfeit tried to recoup his losses and thankfully was upfront about everything in the description. He only made $900 back:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35257284905...app-cvip-panel

Further, the Cruz Jr. and Tatis, Sr. with the same 5/5 counterfeit font resurfaced after disappearing from eBay unsold a year later and sold to unsuspecting buyers.

I don't think it is coincidence that these 3 counterfeits are all stamped 5/5 - maybe the original counterfeiter realized that the number "5" would be easiest to fake.

Share this accordingly!
705f01e1cc4ca9137f1bfbf31f5dd375.jpg

c1fa12b260e5e5d3e3f1b44ed52f43e7.jpg

d0ff7645c0f64a272d71106d5b345747.jpg

Last edited:

jam022316

Jul 31, 2018

Welcome Eric! Nice to see a fellow Mcgwire collector. Though I’d never be able to afford it I appreciate the heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OaklandA's_915

Mar 24, 2019
Welcome Eric! Nice to see a fellow Mcgwire collector. Though I’d never be able to afford it I appreciate the heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hey I really appreciate it! Wish I had discovered this forum a long time ago! It would be nice to talk with fellow Mac collectors

Members online