Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Super Sweet Early 00's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
2000 Black Diamond Final Cut (#'d/100)
final_zps77e6bc42.jpg
final2_zps67399404.jpg

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Ok...what's the way to tell the difference between base and aqueous versions of 2002 Donruss Originals? Just the glossy coating?

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Ok...what's the way to tell the difference between base and aqueous versions of 2002 Donruss Originals? Just the glossy coating?
The base is on a standard card stock. The aqueous is way more glossy. Kind of like how base topps and tiffany are. They are very easy to tell apart in person, but very hard to distinguish through a scan.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
The base is on a standard card stock. The aqueous is way more glossy. Kind of like how base topps and tiffany are. They are very easy to tell apart in person, but very hard to distinguish through a scan.

Thanks. I need to double check and make sure I don't already have some of the aqueous versions. I don't want to go after them when it may be the base version I need.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
$T2eC16N,!)8E9s4l6blWBRze5EYEnw~~60_57.JPG

Probably overpaid ($15) for this, as the player cards are indistinguishable from the pack issued cards, but this was the contents of a special 5-card pack only given out at the 2000 Opening Series held in Tokyo, Japan. One of those things I didn't think I'd see again though.

"The Upper Deck Victory set was initially released in March, 2000 as a 440-card set that featured 300 player cards, 40 Rookie Subset cards, 20 Big Play Makers, 30 Team Checklists, and 50 Junior Circuit subset cards. Each pack contained 12 cards and carried a suggested retail price of ninety-nine cents. A 466-card factory set was released in December, 2000 containing an exclusive 26-card Team USA subset (cards 441-466) featuring the team that won the Olympic gold medal in Sydney, Australia in September, 2000. Finally, special packs were issued in April, 2000 for the season-opening Mets/Cubs series in Japan. These packs contained three regular issue Victory cards featuring either Cubs or Mets and two Japanese header cards. One of those cards featured a checklist of the 21 players in the packs and the other one provided set information. Notable rookies in the set include Jon Rauch and Ben Sheets."

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Nice purple retail. Tough find. Was weird that in this 300 card set, only the first 100 cards got the colored parallels. I kept looking for Grace parallels for awhile until I figured that out. As card #120 , he missed the cut.

Consider yourself lucky that you don't have all those parallels to hunt down. Some of them are impossible to find if the player had a bad year in 2000; Fleer is punishing the collector for the player's poor performance!

I couldn't find a completed sale for a Purple Jeter, I'm really curious what one would go for on ebay. There are barely any completed Purples in general, so it may not even be possible to get an accurate value. I'm sure more than the $2 I paid!

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Consider yourself lucky that you don't have all those parallels to hunt down. Some of them are impossible to find if the player had a bad year in 2000; Fleer is punishing the collector for the player's poor performance!

They got me in 2002, when I had to find his HR parallel to 15.
02FLEERTRIPLECROWNHR.jpg

People don't realize how hard those retail purples are to find, and not being serial numbered, they don't get the prices they deserve. 1:20 odds don't seem too bad, but retail parallels are generally harder to find than hobby. Definitely more than $2 though! Type a card you might find on the cheap like you did, but a player collector might pay well for if they are looking for it. All about finding the right buyer on that one.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
2000 upper deck Century Legends commemorative?

Let me back up a minute. I ask because this went up with some others that I believe to be mis-labeled gold. If this is in fact a gold I may have stumbled into a gold mine - and another UD 1/1 mystery. Though, I'm assuming the golds were serial numbered but cannot find a google image or sale to verify. The regular Commemorative are silver foil-like with a silver UD logo. Like this:

Courtesy of COMC.com

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Let me back up a minute. I ask because this went up with some others that I believe to be mis-labeled gold. If this is in fact a gold I may have stumbled into a gold mine - and another UD 1/1 mystery. Though, I'm assuming the golds were serial numbered but cannot find a google image or sale to verify. The regular Commemorative are silver foil-like with a silver UD logo. Like this:

Courtesy of COMC.com

The Belle does look like a 1/1 Gold, but should have a 1/1 on back, in dot-matrix black dots. Another 1/1 controversy like the 1999 UD Exclusives Level 2 unmarked 1/1's?

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI

Courtesy of COMC.com

A few years ago on COMC, I purchased three of what should have been the Commemoratives, but were not numbered. The fronts look just like the numbered cards, but the backs are identical to a base card. There's no question in my mind that unnumbered copies of all these parallels exist.

Members online