Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

R&N Topps porcelain cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
henderson939 said:
Scott, its funny how they are numbered to 5,000 or 10,000. They should be so easy to find yet they are almost impossible to get.

I think the problem is almost nobody wanted them, which is why the bulk of the cards you see on eBay were from the first couple of series (the Dream Team cards,the big rookies of the 70s-80s and a a few select players full Topps runs). Some of the magnets surprise me that they were ever made, like the 1993 John Kiely. Somewhere there's probably a storage unit or three jam packed full of these from after R&N China went bust and Hamilton had long since given up on selling them.

On the 1993 Topps editions, I'm curious as to whether they were planning to make the checklists, or if they would have made porcelain versions of he checklist replacement cards from the Topps Gold set.

Today, I'd probably drop $20-30 for the Hensley Meulens and Dave Winfield without batting an eye.

BrewerSuperCollector

Aug 10, 2008
The first group of the porcelain cards came out on the mid to late 80's. I remember the card and the wood base, but they came in a small white cardboard box similar to a jewelry gift box. They were something like $12 reatail for them, and they didn't sell. Most dealers that ordered them couldn't sell them, and they were in dollar boxes. Then, years later when they were offered again the dealers remember how they didn't sell the first time and never ordered them. I remember the cards and the mugs from the late 80's.

chief7575

Feb 1, 2010
I don't have a scan of the backs of these handy, but here is what I have:

a 1990 Topps Trade rookie of Mr. Fryman (1000)
90ToppsTPorcelain.jpg

1993 topps (out of 1000)
93ToppsPorcelain.jpg

and the magnet
94PorcelainMagnet.jpg

I have a couple of the other rookie reprints as well - I think one is of Eckersley. Can't recall the other 2 at the moment.

Greg

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
BrewerSuperCollector said:
The first group of the porcelain cards came out on the mid to late 80's. I remember the card and the wood base, but they came in a small white cardboard box similar to a jewelry gift box. They were something like $12 reatail for them, and they didn't sell. Most dealers that ordered them couldn't sell them, and they were in dollar boxes. Then, years later when they were offered again the dealers remember how they didn't sell the first time and never ordered them. I remember the cards and the mugs from the late 80's.

This is exactly how my Mantle and Clemente came. Wooden stand with a small white box (with blue "pinstripes").

David T.

Sep 4, 2008
Years ago I purchased some porcelain cards through The Hamilton Collection.
I received 2 cards every month or so.
I thought it was an 11 card set, but after checking on Beckett it seems to be a 26 card set.
Anyways long story short, you'll see 2 sets of doubles in the scans as somehow they sent me doubles and shorted me other cards by mistake.
The funny thing is, they also sent me a baseball diamond shaped wooden wall plaque that the cards can be displayed on, but there's only room for about 11 cards to display.
I could have sworn that once I bought the last 2 cards they sent the plaque.
Here's the fronts.....
scan0046.jpg

scan0043.jpg

Here's the backs, note the odd serial numbering.........

scan0045.jpg

scan0044.jpg

I also have this set, note the card in the top/right looks almost identical to the the duplicate card from the first set.....

Fronts
scan0047.jpg

Backs
scan0048.jpg

I bought it on Ebay a long time ago.

Tom Oates, I would be interested in the Ryan's you have if any of them are different than mine.

David

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Guys I am probably preaching to the choir but be sure to check you local antique malls/shops and flea markets for cards like these. That's where a lot of this type of stuff ends up. Can't count on all my fingers and toes how many times I have walked into an antique mall/shop or a flea market and seen an entire area stocked to the brim with cards that are 20+ years old. And they always tend to have oddballs or something like that. The best part is they are usually pretty cheap compared to what they'd go for on ebay since the owner is more than likely just happy that someone is actually buying a card for the first time in 10 years.

chief7575

Feb 1, 2010
I stumbled upon another that I didn't remember I had - 1999 copy (says out of 1999 on the back too)

99ToppsPorcelain.jpg

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I've got a 12 card set they produced featuring porcelain rookie reprints of the top MLB stars: Ripken, Griffey, Henderson, Gwynn, Maddux, Bonds, Piazza, Eckersley, O. Smith, Clemens, and a couple of others (maybe Mattingly and McGwire, I might be slightly off since I'm doing this off memory). Comes with a nice wood wall plaque to display them with. A buddy of mine who is a local dealer gave it to me or sold it for around $40, I cannot remember which. Not sure what to do with it, but it's a pretty nice item for a sports room.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Leffer said:
I have the following Rickey Henderson porcelain cards. If anyone knows what year the first two are from, please let me know. Thanks.

R&N China Porcelain Rookie Card - hand numbered #244/1000, #S20, year unknown
rnchinaporcelaincardS201000.jpg

R&N China Porcelain Rookie Card - hand numbered #A1062 in gold marker (this picture is not the one I have...I ripped the pic off of ebay), year unknown
$(KGrHqYOKj4E00bKcdpEBN,G,S2emQ~~_12.jpg

1990 R&N China Porcelain Rookie Card - hand numbered #1296 & 11813 (I have two), one is still shrink-wrapped in package w/ wood stand, the other one is in a box w/ stand and hanging rope
90r_nchinaporcelaincard.jpg

1991 R&N China Porcelain Rookie Card (3"x5") - hand numbered #00104/10000, comes with wooden base shaped like home plate, plaque on wooden base reads 1990 MVP Award
91r_nchina3x5porcelaincard10000.jpg

1993 R&N China Porcelain '93 Topps card - hand numbered #2523/5000, still in package
93rnchinacard5000.jpg

1994 Danbury Mint R&N China Porcelain Rookie Card - hand numbered #A504, MBI Limited edition
94danburymintporcelaincard.jpg

1998 R&N China / Danbury Mint Porcelain Card Topps Hall Bound - hand numbered A450
98r_nchina-danburyminthallbound.jpg

Those are all of the cards. Here's a few other items I have from R&N China:

1990 R&N China Porcelain Plate (shows rookie card) (hand #11246) (Rookie Ball) (card pictured on front and back) (marketed for Sports Nostalgia)
90r_nchinaporcelainplate.jpg

1992 R&N China ceramic mug (Rookie Ball shows 1980 rookie) (hand numbered #1266) (company also called Sports Nostalgia)
92r_nchinamug.jpg

1992 R&N China ceramic stein (Rookie Ball shows 1980 rookie) (hand numbered #6711) (company also called Sports Nostalgia)
92r_nchinastein.jpg

1993 R&N China ceramic stein (shows 1993 Topps card) (hand numbered #2501/5000)
93rnchinastein5000.jpg

and....in case this helps anyone, here's a Danbury Mint promo page (for porcelain cards, shows Griffey, Thomas, Bonds, etc.) (no date on it, but Piazza's 1993 is the latest shown so I've always assumed this is from 1994)
94danburymintpromopage.jpg

WANT!!!! I think I have 2 rookies with different numbering styles. I'll have to get a better look at them next time I go to my moms.

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
93-97 Hendersons, can be found as a card, mug, tankard, and plate. Possibly ceramic magnets also. I know there is a 95 Magnet that is about the size of a Topps Micro card, but is extremely rare. I have never come across one in person of Henderson, but he is on the ad sheet.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
I don't think I've ever seen any of the cards other than rookie. I'll have to add those to my ever growing list. 93-97 plus at least 98 hallbound. Not real concerned with the mugs and such, would like to have them, but not in dire need.

chief7575

Feb 1, 2010
I'll try to get scans up later, but I did find the few extra Porcelain cards that I had. All of these are hand numbered 57/1000 on the back. 87 topps Matt Williams. 94? topps Coming Attractions Raul Mondesi/Ben Van Ryn, 74 Dennis Eckersley, 88 Topps Roberto Alomar.

porcelain10001.jpg
porcelain20001.jpg