Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rumor (49ers)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Vick to the 49ers?

I despise Vick like I despise Barry Bonds, but I have to admit, that would be a perfect fit for their offense. He'd fit right in with their run first offense. I said a few years ago he'd be the only QB that could survive behind the niner O-line because they were so bad. I actually kind of hope that goes through.

Thoughts?

Wehttam6

Aug 7, 2008
912-GA
Vick is exciting to watch, but it seems like he gets a bad injury every other year, and the team is screwed after he gets hurt because the offense is made specifically for him.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
mikekarlovec said:
when does Vick get out?? that could be an interesting fit when he comes back.
July '09

Wehttam6 said:
Vick is exciting to watch, but it seems like he gets a bad injury every other year, and the team is screwed after he gets hurt because the offense is made specifically for him.
That and in my opinion he can't throw the ball very well.

lisu said:
god, I hope not. I will not renew my season tickets if this happens.
There are plenty of players who have done worse than Vick. I can't stand the guy myself, but from a pure football perspective, his skills would be a perfect match with Singletary and their current offensive setup (no pass).

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Big Mac McGwire said:
o great. Alex Smith, Sullivan, and possibly Vick?????

o Joe, o Steve COME BACK, PLEASE COME BACK!!! its hard to be a niner fan. Whoever had the last say in drafting Alex Smith, you need to be shot.

No kidding. I miss the days of young, montana, craig, rathman, rice, taylor and crew. I hate watching the niners lose and be happy that the only lost by a TD or less and thinking to myself, they are getting better!

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
jubei777 said:
heard this morning that they're taking a strong look at Housh...

That's interesting. The only problem is Hill can't throw more than 20 yards because he's got a noodle arm. He scares me every time he tries to air it out because it's always underthrown by 5-10 yards and going end over end the whole way.

I like Hill because he knows how to avoid the sack (unlike Smith), but Hill doesn't have an arm so he can't utilize the deep threat of Housh...

Are they planning on giving Smith another chance?

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
onionring9 said:
jubei777 said:

That's interesting. The only problem is Hill can't throw more than 20 yards because he's got a noodle arm. He scares me every time he tries to air it out because it's always underthrown by 5-10 yards and going end over end the whole way.

I like Hill because he knows how to avoid the sack (unlike Smith), but Hill doesn't have an arm so he can't utilize the deep threat of Housh...

Here's my take on Smith - Nolan screwed him last year by making him out to be a wuss because he was injured. I think that if the Niners give him another chance, that he might be hungrier (which he wasn't when he was just given the job) and also try to prove that he was worth the pick and the money. We will see.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
lisu said:
onionring9 said:
jubei777 said:

Here's my take on Smith - Nolan screwed him last year by making him out to be a wuss because he was injured. I think that if the Niners give him another chance, that he might be hungrier (which he wasn't when he was just given the job) and also try to prove that he was worth the pick and the money. We will see.

Yeah I have to agree with the whole he's a wuss being a load of crap and I'd like to see him given another chance, but his pocket presence is what killed him in my books. The only reason I'd say give him another chance was because he was a rookie and you threw him behind one of the worst offensive lines of all time and expected him to do well. It took a veteren like Hill to know when to get rid of the ball and when to get out of the pocket. I feel bad for Smith because his entire time at the helm was literally:
Hike, drop step one, drop step 2, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
onionring9 said:
Yeah I have to agree with the whole he's a wuss being a load of crap and I'd like to see him given another chance, but his pocket presence is what killed him in my books. The only reason I'd say give him another chance was because he was a rookie and you threw him behind one of the worst offensive lines of all time and expected him to do well. It took a veteren like Hill to know when to get rid of the ball and when to get out of the pocket. I feel bad for Smith because his entire time at the helm was literally:
Hike, drop step one, drop step 2, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!

Especially when it was like this:

1st down - Gore run for 2 yards
2nd down - Gore run for 2 yards
3rd down and 6 - the defense brings the house and the Niner line has so many holes that Smith gets sacked about 1 second after he gets the ball.

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin
I really hope they give Smith one more chance, heck he is only 24? I really feel that he can be the quarterback the 49ers expected when they drafted him, however it may have to be for another team because I think the 49ers are done with him.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
Reds in 2009 said:
I really hope they give Smith one more chance, heck he is only 24? I really feel that he can be the quarterback the 49ers expected when they drafted him, however it may have to be for another team because I think the 49ers are done with him.

I keep thinking that they are going to give up on him, and he's going to be a stud for a good system.

Daltonb1219

Jul 16, 2009
Oh yea post resurrection time :lol:

I personally think Hill is much better then Smith is. I think we should trade smith for a good 4th-5th round pick or a atleast decent hideout. It wont happen but we can hope.

Daltonb1219

Jul 16, 2009
Card Magnet said:
Who gave Dalton a shovel to dig this one up?
Lol i dont know i was looking at the last page an i saw something about the niners so i had to bring it back :mrgreen:

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
I don't trust any college spread quarterback in the nfl.

One thing you have to remember about the spread is that all the checks are made on the sidelines by a guy in a headset. This is a HUGE detriment to anyone coming to the NFL if that is the only offense they have ran.

Yes they have the tools, but they have a MAJOR hill to climb as they reach the pros and then have to learn how to play quarterback.

sffanmike25

Aug 21, 2008
Dallas, TX
cgilmo said:
I don't trust any college spread quarterback in the nfl.

One thing you have to remember about the spread is that all the checks are made on the sidelines by a guy in a headset. This is a HUGE detriment to anyone coming to the NFL if that is the only offense they have ran.

Yes they have the tools, but they have a MAJOR hill to climb as they reach the pros and then have to learn how to play quarterback.

Agreed 100%. Even the footwork is part of that learning curve for a spread offense QB. Being ready to deliver on a 5 step drop isn't a normal feel for many 4 year, spread shotgun QB's. Add that to many other pro-style game time adjustments, and you are usually sitting and coaching these guys for a while.

Members online