Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1994 Upper Deck Electric Diamond

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I have been gathering the electric diamond parallels for awhile now and is it just me or does it appear that the ED parallels are all rougher in condition (edges, corners) than the regular cards? It seems that each time I find one the edges are rough and its rare that I find one that is decent in condition. Maybe its just me.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
NAAAAAA those are not rare! i have 61 Juan bronze back's and
Silvers!
icon_cry.gif

anyone?
icon_mrgreen.gif

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
I made a small trade for a Sandberg lot that included the Electric Diamond early on when I returned to collecting in 2008. I saw this variation listed in the Official Error and Variation Discussion/Reference Thread a few months ago and decided to check mine. Lo and behold, I actually had the silver version. I went to COMC and picked up the bronze version for under a buck shortly after that.

trauty

Oct 8, 2010
The only one I ever pulled from packs was Ryne Sandberg, didn't even realize that there were variations for the other players. I had 4 of the silver Sandbergs at one point (and 3 regular backs). I got anywhere from $3-15 for each of the silvers on ebay from 1997-99.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
First pass I only checked the Electric Diamond parallels. Based on the new information in this thread I went ahead and checked the base cards as well. Found three base cards with silver backs. No one special though.

174 - Mike Bordick
184 - Milt Thompson
246 - Dave Fleming

Tom

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
jacksoncoupage said:
olerud363 said:
This listing has been on eBay for a long time: http://cgi.ebay.com/John-Olerud-1994-UD ... 5ad46a7a70 and the seller tries to impress "elite player collectors" that the silver backs are pretty rare. I recently checked my collection and my Electric Diamond is a silver back, so I just bought a card with a recent Beckett Marketplace order that was listed as just "Electric Diamond" for a quarter thinking it must be the "regular" bronze back. It turned out to also be a silver. A bronze back is on COMC also for a quarter.

I was hoping someone here knows which version of '94 UD Electric Diamond is the more "rare" version: silver or bronze back? Or are they equally available? Surely the eBay seller isn't over-hyping a card he's trying to sell... they never do that! ;)

Thanks!

- Rod

As mentioned previously, the silver version of the Electric Diamond parallel is the scarcer variety, and yes, you basically "lucked out." That said, $12 (BO) isn't a stretch for the card. If a Robin Ventura (who I collect) ever showed up, I'd happily plunk down that amount. Some players tend to show up more frequently, such as Kevin Stocker, Raul Mondesi, Kevin Gross etc...I have no idea why, but Sandberg, Bernie, Olerud and Griffey have only shown up a handful of times in my experience (there's a Sandberg on COMC right now).

The rumor is that Upper Deck was using their back design from the previously released minor league set, which featured silver stat headings, and didn't do the switch-over from silver headings right away. I can't say if this is true for sure, but it seems plausible.

Lastly, this same variety also affects the base cards (bronze foil fronts). Most of the players I have found in this variety parallel those found with the silver headings in the Electric Diamond set, however, one error & variation collector has told me that he has a "complete set" of series 1 like this. Who knows? But the base cards with silver headings are in noticeably shorter supply than the Electric Diamond ones. A small batch I own is the only grouping of them that I have found in the 17 years that I have been aware of them. It's possible that many more are out there, tucked in boxes, sets and personal collections (or even wax), but as of today, they remain the scarcest parallel (partial parallel?) in the 1994 UD set.

Haven't talked to you in forever. Hope all is well!

Do you remember who that was? I'd love to try and obtain a scan for the mcgwire site!

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
jacksoncoupage said:
As mentioned previously, the silver version of the Electric Diamond parallel is the scarcer variety, and yes, you basically "lucked out." That said, $12 (BO) isn't a stretch for the card. If a Robin Ventura (who I collect) ever showed up, I'd happily plunk down that amount. Some players tend to show up more frequently, such as Kevin Stocker, Raul Mondesi, Kevin Gross etc...I have no idea why, but Sandberg, Bernie, Olerud and Griffey have only shown up a handful of times in my experience (there's a Sandberg on COMC right now).

The rumor is that Upper Deck was using their back design from the previously released minor league set, which featured silver stat headings, and didn't do the switch-over from silver headings right away. I can't say if this is true for sure, but it seems plausible.

Lastly, this same variety also affects the base cards (bronze foil fronts). Most of the players I have found in this variety parallel those found with the silver headings in the Electric Diamond set, however, one error & variation collector has told me that he has a "complete set" of series 1 like this. Who knows? But the base cards with silver headings are in noticeably shorter supply than the Electric Diamond ones. A small batch I own is the only grouping of them that I have found in the 17 years that I have been aware of them. It's possible that many more are out there, tucked in boxes, sets and personal collections (or even wax), but as of today, they remain the scarcest parallel (partial parallel?) in the 1994 UD set.

Thanks for the information. Looks like I need to search out a silver back base version of the Olerud for my PC.

- Rod

Jan 14, 2009
onionring9 said:
jacksoncoupage said:
olerud363 said:
This listing has been on eBay for a long time: http://cgi.ebay.com/John-Olerud-1994-UD ... 5ad46a7a70 and the seller tries to impress "elite player collectors" that the silver backs are pretty rare. I recently checked my collection and my Electric Diamond is a silver back, so I just bought a card with a recent Beckett Marketplace order that was listed as just "Electric Diamond" for a quarter thinking it must be the "regular" bronze back. It turned out to also be a silver. A bronze back is on COMC also for a quarter.

I was hoping someone here knows which version of '94 UD Electric Diamond is the more "rare" version: silver or bronze back? Or are they equally available? Surely the eBay seller isn't over-hyping a card he's trying to sell... they never do that! ;)

Thanks!

- Rod

Do you remember who that was? I'd love to try and obtain a scan for the mcgwire site!

Hey,

I've been very busy with school for the last 2 years now. I try to get stuff up on the blog and ebay as I can.

The guy who I think gave me that info originally, told me this is the complete checklist (45 cards):

"The cards are both in the base set and the electric diamond version. The following is a list of the numbers: 58,59,60,68,71,73,75,81,83,84,86,89,92,93,97,99,100,102,103,105,113,120,123,124,137,141,151,157,160,166,171,174, 184,187,195,224,225,237,238,239,246,250,259,261 & 266."

So, there may not be a McGwire after all.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
jacksoncoupage said:
The guy who I think gave me that info originally, told me this is the complete checklist (45 cards):

"The cards are both in the base set and the electric diamond version. The following is a list of the numbers: 58,59,60,68,71,73,75,81,83,84,86,89,92,93,97,99,100,102,103,105,113,120,123,124,137,141,151,157,160,166,171,174, 184,187,195,224,225,237,238,239,246,250,259,261 & 266."

So far, what has turned up is consistent with that list.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
DaClyde said:
jacksoncoupage said:

So far, what has turned up is consistent with that list.
then there is no Juan? thank you thank you thank you!

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
jacksoncoupage said:
onionring9 said:
jacksoncoupage said:
olerud363 said:

Thanks!

- Rod

Hey,

I've been very busy with school for the last 2 years now. I try to get stuff up on the blog and ebay as I can.

The man has spoken!

For anyone that doesn't know jacksoncoupage, he's one of the biggest experts on errors/variations. He's responsible getting me going crazy on these for my mcgwire collection. He's a great guy and a huge fountain of knowledge on the topic.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Good. No Bagwell to hunt down. I wish I would have hopped on here and looked at this list before I went searching tonight though. Knowing me though...I'd have searched anyways just to sleep better at night.

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
DaClyde said:
Do we need to start compiling a checklist until we hit 45 cards? I just found that I have the silver Winfield (#81). There is one of each of the Winfield on COMC. I'm going to snag the regular bronze/gold back.

Might as well just start it myself, between those eBay listings and COMC, so far I've seen silver backs of these cards:

--Updated--

58 Kevin Mitchell
59 Raul Mondesi
60 Rickey Henderson
68 John Roper
71 Mo Vaughn
73 Dave Magadan
75 Archi Cianfracco
81 Dave Winfield
84 Kevin Stocker
86 Bernie Williams
89 Dave Stewart
92 Ryne Sandberg
97 Wil Cordero
99 John Olerud
100 Kirt Manwaring
102 Mike Mussina
105 Roberto Mejia
113 Tripp Cromer
120 Bobby Witt
124 Eduardo Perez
137 Devon White
174 Mike Bordick
151 Bret Barberie
160 Ryan Thompson
166 Kevin Gross
171 Kirk Rueter
184 Milt Thompson
195 Todd Van Poppel
224 Ken Griffey
237 Rondell White
239 Luis Alicea
246 Dave Fleming
250 Curtis Pride
259 Jimy Key
261 Eric Davis
266 Cory Snyder

I suspect these will only be found for cards 56-266, as those are the base cards with the stripes on the back.

Danny Darwin #126 needs to be added to this list please. Thanks!

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I updated the listing of cards on page to with the names for the complete 45 card checklist. Was there every any determination as to the origin of these cards? Does anyone know of any uncut sheets for this set?

weegee

Aug 30, 2008
Maine
Does any one have a scan of the difference from the electric diamond and electric diamond silver back? The Trot Nixon was added recently.

Members online

Latest posts