Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1994 Upper Deck Electric Diamond

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
This listing has been on eBay for a long time: http://cgi.ebay.com/John-Olerud-1994-UD ... 5ad46a7a70 and the seller tries to impress "elite player collectors" that the silver backs are pretty rare. I recently checked my collection and my Electric Diamond is a silver back, so I just bought a card with a recent Beckett Marketplace order that was listed as just "Electric Diamond" for a quarter thinking it must be the "regular" bronze back. It turned out to also be a silver. A bronze back is on COMC also for a quarter.

I was hoping someone here knows which version of '94 UD Electric Diamond is the more "rare" version: silver or bronze back? Or are they equally available? Surely the eBay seller isn't over-hyping a card he's trying to sell... they never do that! ;)

Thanks!

- Rod

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Mines a bronze and for what its worth, I just looked at about 40 backs on COMC and didn't see a single silver. The site's being too slow for me to keep looking

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Interesting... the silver back I recently bought was from Burbank on Beckett Marketplace. I would think that they of all people would know what's what and charge a premium for a "scarce" card. Maybe they mistakenly sent the wrong card? Oh well, looks like I still need the more common one.

Thanks for the info.

- Rod

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
I have never heard of this variation. Does it exist for the entire set?

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
Silver backs are very very tough! You just got lucky . I have both
versions of the Griffey #224 card in a silver back both the regular and ED.
My SCD says that 45 of series 1 cards can be found with the ED version in silver or bronze. It doesnt list who though. It doesn't mention anything about the regular issued cards having a silver back.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I've been hunting for a McGwire for about 10 years.

Nothin'

I don't know if the variation spans out to that series though so I may be lucky :)

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Once again the collective knowledge of FCB has paid off. I was unaware of these variations. Back in 94 when I was busting this stuff looking for Michael Jordan RC like everyone else, I would buy all the Electric Diamond parallels I could find in the dime boxes at shows. I just went through all of mine that I could find so far and found three in series one and zero for series two.

Card Number 60 - Rickey Henderson!!! Should sell well :)
Card Number 89 - Dave Stewart
Card Number 102 - Mike Mussina

Will look through some PC binders now

Tom

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
mchenrycards said:
From my memory I believe that these variations were limited to series one only. I dont ever recall them being in series 2.

Yeah, I read that earlier in the thread but figured it was worth a quick look to help confirm the fact. Does indeed seem to be the case...

Tom

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
DaleMurphyCollector said:
I've got a 3,200 ct. box of these somewhere. You're going to make me find it and look at all of them, aren't you? :)

You can send them to me and I will go through them for you :lol: Serious get crackin
I know TNP would kill for a Brett Butler or at least he would have last I knew.

DaleMurphyCollector

Aug 7, 2008
Imagination Land
Jack Straw said:
DaleMurphyCollector said:
I've got a 3,200 ct. box of these somewhere. You're going to make me find it and look at all of them, aren't you? :)

You can send them to me and I will go through them for you :lol: Serious get crackin
I know TNP would kill for a Brett Butler or at least he would have last I knew.

Hmmm....I owe TNP a card from a long time ago. I'll find them and look through the box.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Do we need to start compiling a checklist until we hit 45 cards? I just found that I have the silver Winfield (#81). There is one of each of the Winfield on COMC. I'm going to snag the regular bronze/gold back.

Might as well just start it myself, between those eBay listings and COMC, so far I've seen silver backs of these cards:

--Updated--

58 Kevin Mitchell
59 Raul Mondesi
60 Rickey Henderson
68 John Roper
71 Mo Vaughn
73 Dave Magadan
75 Archi Cianfracco
81 Dave Winfield
83 Andy Van Slyke
84 Kevin Stocker
86 Bernie Williams
89 Dave Stewart
92 Ryne Sandberg
93 Chris Gomez
97 Wil Cordero
99 John Olerud
100 Kirt Manwaring
102 Mike Mussina
103 Nigel Wilson
105 Roberto Mejia
113 Tripp Cromer
120 Bobby Witt
123 Danny Darwin
124 Eduardo Perez
137 Devon White
141 Rick Aguilera
151 Bret Barberie
157 Jim Eisenreich
160 Ryan Thompson
166 Kevin Gross
171 Kirk Rueter
174 Mike Bordick
184 Milt Thompson
187 Mike Greenwell
195 Todd Van Poppel
224 Ken Griffey
225 Fred McGriff
237 Rondell White
238 Jeff King
239 Luis Alicea
246 Dave Fleming
250 Curtis Pride
259 Jimy Key
261 Eric Davis
266 Cory Snyder

I suspect these will only be found for cards 56-266, as those are the base cards with the stripes on the back.

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
Here is what my short search yielded me...

7610edb8.jpg

36cc4674.jpg

A little rough around the edges...but nice otherwise.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
A few of the ones listed on ebay are mine, but here is what I have in current inventory (not counting what I have on ebay). Still missing Will Clark, but not sure it exists. Never seen one.

Cory Snyder #266
Jimmy Key #259
Curtis Pride #250
Dave Fleming #246
Luis Alicea #239
Rondell White #237
Milt Thompson #184
Kirk Rueter #171
Kevin Gross #166
Bret Barberie #151
Rick Aguillera #141
Ryan Thompson #160
Devon White #137
Eduardo Perez #124
Bobby Witt #120
Tripp Cromer #113
Kirt Manwaring #100
Wil Cordero #97
Dave Stewart #89
Dave Magadan #73
Archi Cianfranco #75
Ryne Sandberg #92
Mike Mussina #102
Ken Griffey Jr. #224

Jan 14, 2009
olerud363 said:
This listing has been on eBay for a long time: http://cgi.ebay.com/John-Olerud-1994-UD ... 5ad46a7a70 and the seller tries to impress "elite player collectors" that the silver backs are pretty rare. I recently checked my collection and my Electric Diamond is a silver back, so I just bought a card with a recent Beckett Marketplace order that was listed as just "Electric Diamond" for a quarter thinking it must be the "regular" bronze back. It turned out to also be a silver. A bronze back is on COMC also for a quarter.

I was hoping someone here knows which version of '94 UD Electric Diamond is the more "rare" version: silver or bronze back? Or are they equally available? Surely the eBay seller isn't over-hyping a card he's trying to sell... they never do that! ;)

Thanks!

- Rod

As mentioned previously, the silver version of the Electric Diamond parallel is the scarcer variety, and yes, you basically "lucked out." That said, $12 (BO) isn't a stretch for the card. If a Robin Ventura (who I collect) ever showed up, I'd happily plunk down that amount. Some players tend to show up more frequently, such as Kevin Stocker, Raul Mondesi, Kevin Gross etc...I have no idea why, but Sandberg, Bernie, Olerud and Griffey have only shown up a handful of times in my experience (there's a Sandberg on COMC right now).

The rumor is that Upper Deck was using their back design from the previously released minor league set, which featured silver stat headings, and didn't do the switch-over from silver headings right away. I can't say if this is true for sure, but it seems plausible.

Lastly, this same variety also affects the base cards (bronze foil fronts). Most of the players I have found in this variety parallel those found with the silver headings in the Electric Diamond set, however, one error & variation collector has told me that he has a "complete set" of series 1 like this. Who knows? But the base cards with silver headings are in noticeably shorter supply than the Electric Diamond ones. A small batch I own is the only grouping of them that I have found in the 17 years that I have been aware of them. It's possible that many more are out there, tucked in boxes, sets and personal collections (or even wax), but as of today, they remain the scarcest parallel (partial parallel?) in the 1994 UD set.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts