Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Here's the card I linked to earlier. Did 97 Pinnacle do these cut-corner promos? The cut looks relatively clean. Love these Clout APs.

KnoblauchPromoProof.jpg

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
RustyGreerFan said:
Here's the card I linked to earlier. Did 97 Pinnacle do these cut-corner promos? The cut looks relatively clean. Love these Clout APs.

KnoblauchPromoProof.jpg

To me, that cut looks like the work of a dull scissor.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
RustyGreerFan said:

KnoblauchPromoProof.jpg

The cut on the promos were 45 degrees

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
tpeichel said:
RustyGreerFan said:

KnoblauchPromoProof.jpg

To me, that cut looks like the work of a dull scissor.

LOL - I see what you mean! I didn't actually look at the scan. For some reason that glimmering edge gives it a bizarre effect of chopped liver. The cut is straight, but no way can I believed from that scan.

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
n1astrosfn said:
BunchOBull said:
I mean, they were designed as a prototype for Fleer, Inc., so it's not like they're some broder or unlicensed release. However, you're certainly welcome to think they're crap.

okey dokey. theyre not crap, but knowing what i know, i certainly wouldnt be the first to bid on them cause who knows how many he has. the first puckett sold for 85, the second for 31. the first ripken 125, the second for 75. ill wait and if it never pops up again, i really dont care.

Sounds like someone is butt hurt they don't have one...

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Posted this before, but now it's in hand. My #2 most wanted card; I like everything about this card, in itself. However, I am not a big fan of graded PC cards, and it's mis-labeled to boot. Out of 4,200+ different, this is my 5th graded card. I am seriously considering cracking this open...
24k.jpg
24kback.jpg

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
jacksoncoupage said:
n1astrosfn said:
Gwynn545 said:
n1astrosfn said:
Jack Straw said:
Steve Taft is the same dealer on Ebay and Beckett. He is the only one I have ever seen
have these for sale. I believe he bought them all from Fleer or whoever and have been
selling them since? BTW Ripken must be high on someones want list because that one was
a 70 opening bid??

this. i think theyre crap. these weren't listed in the beckett until fairly recently (2007ish) because that steve taft dealer came across a bunch of them and was a beckett marketplace dealer and im sure he made a fuss and got them listed. so, if you want some changes or something added to beckett, become a marketplace dealer.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with the possibility of him being the only one that has them, but they were on my Gwynn master checklist in 2002- the first one I printed. Whether they were distributed or not (a matter of preference) the fact remains that they were produced!

i stand corrected. i remem in high school/college i was using the beckett checklist as a master too and it wasnt listed but then i recall later it was, which was conveniently around the time i first saw them from him in the marketplace. college was 03-07 so if it was in there before 02 then i mustve just missed it cause i dont recall seeing it in their database in high school.

and i would put money that he is the only one with these and he is the reason they became checklisted.

i agree that these are legit, however it really irks me how ignorant some player collectors are. I love oddballish stuff, however its stuff like those "special olympic" stamped crap, fake printing plates, "variations" where the ink is one shade different in a corner that makes me want to want to vomit on a card and sell it to some deep pocketed player collector. dumbs.

You sound like a whole lot of fun. Thanks for stopping by.

^funny stuff^

Adding 2 more cents..... These are far far from an Olympic stamped card<never seen one of my player> or fake printing plates <not a big fan either>... Hang in there you might find one in a dollar bin someday...

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Gwynn545 said:
Posted this before, but now it's in hand. My #2 most wanted card; I like everything about this card, in itself. However, I am not a big fan of graded PC cards, and it's mis-labeled to boot. Out of 4,200+ different, this is my 5th graded card. I am seriously considering cracking this open...
24k.jpg
24kback.jpg
OHHHHHH NOOOOOOOO
icon_e_surprised.gif

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Is there anyone in the 1994 Super Slam set other than Bonds, Griffey, McDowell, Piazza, Ripken, and Thomas? The numbering seems to be meaningless.

1990SuperSlam5x7.jpg

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
tpeichel said:
Is there anyone in the 1994 Super Slam set other than Bonds, Griffey, McDowell, Piazza, Ripken, and Thomas? The numbering seems to be meaningless.

1990SuperSlam5x7.jpg

Are these the oversized, plaque-like items? If this was the only year they were made, I used to have a Kenny Lofton. Not sure of any others.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Jack Straw said:
Steve Taft is the same dealer on Ebay and Beckett. He is the only one I have ever seen
have these for sale. I believe he bought them all from Fleer or whoever and have been
selling them since? BTW Ripken must be high on someones want list because that one was
a 70 opening bid??

Okay...clears a little bit up. I don't recall the guy's name from BM but it definitely could have been Taft. He is the only one that has them on the bay as far as I know.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
JackLondon said:
tpeichel said:

1990SuperSlam5x7.jpg

Are these the oversized, plaque-like items? If this was the only year they were made, I used to have a Kenny Lofton. Not sure of any others.

Yes, they are hinged at the top so you could open it slightly and stand it up.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
tpeichel said:
JackLondon said:
tpeichel said:

1990SuperSlam5x7.jpg

Bagwell is. I have the Griffey, Bags, and Ripken. I also a month ago found a McDowell at the flea market. Except...the very outer border on it is black as opposed to the dull gray seen on that Frank(and the ones I have). I'm assuming it's an actual promo since on the back it says PROTO 1 in the upper right hand corner.

n1astrosfn

Dec 4, 2008
charlotte
jacksoncoupage said:
n1astrosfn said:
Gwynn545 said:
n1astrosfn said:
Jack Straw said:
a 70 opening bid??

this. i think theyre crap. these weren't listed in the beckett until fairly recently (2007ish) because that steve taft dealer came across a bunch of them and was a beckett marketplace dealer and im sure he made a fuss and got them listed. so, if you want some changes or something added to beckett, become a marketplace dealer.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with the possibility of him being the only one that has them, but they were on my Gwynn master checklist in 2002- the first one I printed. Whether they were distributed or not (a matter of preference) the fact remains that they were produced!

i stand corrected. i remem in high school/college i was using the beckett checklist as a master too and it wasnt listed but then i recall later it was, which was conveniently around the time i first saw them from him in the marketplace. college was 03-07 so if it was in there before 02 then i mustve just missed it cause i dont recall seeing it in their database in high school.

and i would put money that he is the only one with these and he is the reason they became checklisted.

i agree that these are legit, however it really irks me how ignorant some player collectors are. I love oddballish stuff, however its stuff like those "special olympic" stamped crap, fake printing plates, "variations" where the ink is one shade different in a corner that makes me want to want to vomit on a card and sell it to some deep pocketed player collector. dumbs.

You sound like a whole lot of fun. Thanks for stopping by.

im sorry you took it so personal but typing a nonsensical word on a message board is no where near as fun as spending hours finding a multicolor print spot on a 1990 donruss common. way dumbs.

nosterbor said:
" Hang in there you might find one in a dollar bin someday..."
:lol:
exactly. considering only one seller has this, sure.

i want to clarify that yes, 1995 fleer extra bases samples are a legit set and its in my bags checklist. fleer produced the jumbo set in 1994 and made previews for 1995 before pulling the plug. however two things i hate.

1) one seller comes across these (years after 1995), a seller who happens to be on the beckett marketplace. i wouldnt call that unethical or even shady/sketchy/questionable, but these werent on anyones wantlist until it appeared in the beckett and made it "official". theres a lot of unchecklisted cards or sets that need correction (1994 topps sampler as 3 cards NOT 1) that ive emailed about that have fallen on deaf ears but clearly this was added as it helped both parties.

2) i wasn't comparing these LEGIT promos to fake special olympic cards or fake printing plates. my arguement was that many player collectors are dumb. look at the marketplace for 1995 extra bases. ~better hurry player collectors, only one seller with these and he only has one of each player~ i know money isnt a factor for many but knowing one seller has multiple of these, the player collector should have the advantage, however this seller has gone to sell several of these for flat out ridiculous prices. dumb player collectors.

descott77

Dec 4, 2009
Cleveland, Ohio
predatorkj said:
tpeichel said:
JackLondon said:
tpeichel said:

1990SuperSlam5x7.jpg

Bagwell is. I have the Griffey, Bags, and Ripken. I also a month ago found a McDowell at the flea market. Except...the very outer border on it is black as opposed to the dull gray seen on that Frank(and the ones I have). I'm assuming it's an actual promo since on the back it says PROTO 1 in the upper right hand corner.

i have the lofton

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX
n1astrosfn said:
i want to clarify that yes, 1995 fleer extra bases samples are a legit set and its in my bags checklist. fleer produced the jumbo set in 1994 and made previews for 1995 before pulling the plug. however two things i hate.

1) one seller comes across these (years after 1995), a seller who happens to be on the beckett marketplace. i wouldnt call that unethical or even shady/sketchy/questionable, but these werent on anyones wantlist until it appeared in the beckett and made it "official". theres a lot of unchecklisted cards or sets that need correction (1994 topps sampler as 3 cards NOT 1) that ive emailed about that have fallen on deaf ears but clearly this was added as it helped both parties.

2) i wasn't comparing these LEGIT promos to fake special olympic cards or fake printing plates. my arguement was that many player collectors are dumb. look at the marketplace for 1995 extra bases. ~better hurry player collectors, only one seller with these and he only has one of each player~ i know money isnt a factor for many but knowing one seller has multiple of these, the player collector should have the advantage, however this seller has gone to sell several of these for flat out ridiculous prices. dumb player collectors.

So basically you're mad that Beckett added this set for a large dealer, but hasn't listened to you for the changes you've submitted... got it.

Actually the dealer has the advantage here, without collectors knowing exactly how many of each player he has, and slowly trickling them out, he can get high prices for the initial ones. Smart move on his part. But who knows how many he has... could have 5 of each player or 50.

Also, before going some player collectors dumb, you might want to look into using proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
descott77 said:
predatorkj said:
tpeichel said:
JackLondon said:
tpeichel said:

1990SuperSlam5x7.jpg

i have the lofton

Thank you, added a few more, but it sure seems like there are some missing.

PLAYER Year DESCRIPTION
BAGWELL,JEFF 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition 5x7
BONDS,BARRY 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition 5x7
GRIFFEY JR, KEN 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition 5x7
LOFTON,KENNY 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition 5x7
MCDOWELL,JACK 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition 5x7 Promo
PIAZZA,MIKE 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition 5x7
RIPKEN JR,CAL 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition 5x7
THOMAS,FRANK 1994 Super Slam Premier Edition 5x7

Members online