Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
I know your joking but I honestly half expected some turd to come in here bashing him for getting a hell of a deal. I think he did great and am happy for him. But you know some folks just can't roll easy...

I am happy for him, but we spent the last page or so patting him on the back for a nice steal and offering suggestions on how to sell it. I could have done without one last pat on his own back that ended with ? Did you really need us to pat you on the back one more time? You made a hell of a deal, made some money, good for you. Let's move on!

shepsspot

Oct 27, 2008
I am happy for him, but we spent the last page or so patting him on the back for a nice steal and offering suggestions on how to sell it. I could have done without one last pat on his own back that ended with ? Did you really need us to pat you on the back one more time? You made a hell of a deal, made some money, good for you. Let's move on!

Just want you all to give me one more pat on the back please. I just sent the card out Priority Shipping and I told him I was only going to ship First Class!!

On a more serious note, thanks for all your input on this. It was appreciated!

Last edited:

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I had no idea Mike Piazza had such a following still until I saw some of his rares go for big bucks.

Changing gears now to a couple recent BIN finds on the bay:

1999 Black Diamond Quadruple - $12 dlvd

FrankThomasQuadrupleDiamond.jpg

Oh no, another Pizza! Legacy for $12 dlvd

MikePiazzaLegacy.jpg

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
This is exactly like the "Manny Machado" incident. Shep knew that what he was paying was an OUTRAGEOUS steal and due to the ignorance of the seller, made out like a bandit.

Kudos to shep for a great purchase, but anyone that thinks that this is different needs to reevaluate the situation.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Congrats to shepsspot on the nice sale. Not your fault you profitted - the seller named his price. And he was on a card chat board so he wasn't a card novice and had the resources to find out what the card was worth. You have no reason to feel guilty for a lazy seller. Now put that profit to good use!

99BOWMANCHROMEGOLDREF.jpg

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
nice..that's the only Piazza Legacy card I am missing from 1997-1999. never even saw it.

anyone find the 99 row 2's hard to come by? I feel like I see many row 1 and row 3s...

I had no idea Mike Piazza had such a following still until I saw some of his rares go for big bucks.

Oh no, another Pizza! Legacy for $12 dlvd

MikePiazzaLegacy.jpg

Ghumbs

Oct 3, 2011
Seattle, WA
This is exactly like the "Manny Machado" incident. Shep knew that what he was paying was an OUTRAGEOUS steal and due to the ignorance of the seller, made out like a bandit.

Kudos to shep for a great purchase, but anyone that thinks that this is different needs to reevaluate the situation.
Who's Manny Machado? 90s drama only in this thread.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Opened up 4 cans of 1998 Pinnacle Inside. Nothing too monumental, but a fun "old school" break.

standupguys.jpg

johnson.jpg

Very cool. I remember someone sold a case of that stuff on the bay and it was cheap if I remember correctly. I remember thinking they'd be a cool case or box or whatever to bust

packbusta

Aug 15, 2010
Very cool. I remember someone sold a case of that stuff on the bay and it was cheap if I remember correctly. I remember thinking they'd be a cool case or box or whatever to bust

Are you all caught up with the cards from that set? I pulled a regular Belle.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
What card is this? Unreleased or am I just not recognizing it because it's base?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140795029863?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

One of the backdoored 1998 cards with an after market signature. Signature looks ok . . . I'd guess real, but if I was the original owner, I wouldn't have chosen that card to have signed. A normal crap base card would have been sufficient. That card would probably sell better without the signature on it.

Apr 13, 2010
These arrived back from BGS on Monday.

First the goods, then a question that hopefully y'all might have an explanation for.

2012-07-12004721.jpg

Apparently the back isn't centered well? Wish I had thought to compare it to another Donruss Preview card back.

2012-07-12004542.jpg

2012-07-12004556.jpg

The one on the left is the latest addition. If only I had such wild success in locating Kirby's '96 Mirror Gold!

2012-07-12004440.jpg

Now here's the "question" card. BGS has only graded one other of the Diamond Marks Prototypes (a Kirby Puckett with a 8 grade). My thought is that the Promos might have been hand-cut or at least not machine cut up to the regular issue's production standards. Is it possible that BGS hasn't seen enough of these cards to feel comfortable giving it a grade?

2012-07-12004912.jpg

To me a shaved edge is something you might see on a '52 Topps card. I am not the original owner of the card so we may never know, but why would you shave the edge? That is why I am thinking that it is a result of the production technique, not someone trying to "upgrade."

2012-07-12004956.jpg

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Nice cards; shaved edge could be from the graders POV.....maybe something suggested it had been adjusted less than trimming. Shaving is often done to remove chipping on condition sensitive issues.

Members online

Latest posts