Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
" does this happen with Clemente too? "
You bet! I know of 4 Juan collectors in PR and they all collect players who were born in that country.Us Juan collectors state side have a hard time getting cards we need do to the large fan base all PR born players have. I know of Juan collectors in IL,OH,NY,TX,TN,AZ,MA,WA,CA,MO and Wyoming of all places. Wyoming!!?? Seriously. Now factor in the crazy set builders. The card i sold went to a very high end collector.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
The odds on the GA refractors are 1:1640 series one packs or 1:1330 series two packs. At 24 packs per box that is about one in 68 series one boxes or one in 55 series 2 boxes. I have ripped my way to maybe halfway on the series 2 odds...and have not pulled one. They are tough!

I wonder how many of those are still sitting out there in boxes.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
1998 Leaf Diamond Axis Big Papi /50 - $13.50 dlvd

DavidOrtizDiamondAxis.jpg

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
I had 10 cases of 98 donruss i got in 2002. I let them sit for like what seemed forever, 2 Days! Still have the case of 98 circa retail. they are not even worth opening.

John1n

Jul 10, 2012
Chicago
Wow I don't think I could resist. It would be tempting to break cases look for pc cards I need.

Maybe a newbie question, but here it is anyway: What do you do with the commons and "junk" that you get from opening multiple cases of something? It has to pile up year after year.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
10 cases of each year and series of Finest 1993-2000, misc amounts of pinnacle, score, donruss 1996-2005, other random cases.

Geez, what do you do for a living? Wouldn't these just lose their value as the hobby goes further into the dumps?

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I'm not sure that it's a slam dunk that the future of 90's cards is going to be in the toilet. We've already seen somewhat of a bump after the 90's backlash.

Here's an example - you're a 10-yr old kid in 1995 and you love the hell out of collecting. You continue collecting through middle school, but give up in high school to spend money on cars and chicks. By 2005 you are 20 years old and you're in college or in an entry-level job. By the time you graduate college and get a job, or by the time you get promoted past your entry-level job the world economy just went in the toilet. How many guys do you think are out there that have a story like this? I think there are a s-load.

I think nobody really knows what will happen. If the economy bounces back while these guys that were kids in the 90's are having sons (or daughters) of their own and feeling nostalgic about their childhood hobby - the sky is the limit. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it's possible considering we've seen the exact same thing happen before in this hobby. Some would say that history repeats itself.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
I'm not sure that it's a slam dunk that the future of 90's cards is going to be in the toilet. We've already seen somewhat of a bump after the 90's backlash.

Here's an example - you're a 10-yr old kid in 1995 and you love the hell out of collecting. You continue collecting through middle school, but give up in high school to spend money on cars and chicks. By 2005 you are 20 years old and you're in college or in an entry-level job. By the time you graduate college and get a job, or by the time you get promoted past your entry-level job the world economy just went in the toilet. How many guys do you think are out there that have a story like this? I think there are a s-load.

I think nobody really knows what will happen. If the economy bounces back while these guys that were kids in the 90's are having sons (or daughters) of their own and feeling nostalgic about their childhood hobby - the sky is the limit. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it's possible considering we've seen the exact same thing happen before in this hobby. Some would say that history repeats itself.

Ahh... the followers of this thread can hope, can't we?

I can envision some 1953 Mantle style auction house bidding wars for some of these rarer 90's inserts in a few decades when they are "vintage." I am planning on my cards being worth something in between my son's college tuition and an ice cream cone. Before I sell them for ice cream they would at least be good for a nice trip down memory lane of my "old collecting days" through the worthless boxes of cardboard, foil and plastic ;) "Dufex Dad? What's dufex?"

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
I think I would rather the market not bounce back. Right now I can afford a lot of the cards I want. If the market changes I'll be priced out unless I can keep my head above water with flipping.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Honestly, I think 90's stuff will gain in popularity because you have a gap between like 1980 and 1994ish where most of the stuff is either junk or just not worth a whole lot. And from like 2001-02 on, everything was paralleled to death. I mean, GU was hot as hell when it came out but it got done to death. And while the production wasn't too much, the amount of sets put out by each company might as well be equal to overproduction. Yes there may only be *** amount of cards out of one set. But multiply that times the 80 or more sets put out each year and it cheapens the rarity. Now everything's rare?

The 90's is one of the few things besides true vintage(I consider vintage anything 1975 and before) that has any reason to appreciate. The ideas were done and then left alone. And the vintage gets older every year and good grades get harder to find every year as they dissapear into collections. There just doesn't seem to be much going on now that won't depreciate. The new stuff is too "rare". And the stuff from like 1980-94 just doesn't seem to be going anywhere(with rare exceptions like 93 finest refractors, 92 dk jumbos, aqueous, etc.) either.

Honestly, nostalgia be damned, I think there are truly things in this hobby that transcend that and people want them because they truly are rare or worth having. There's a lot of guys who collect vintage who weren't around for it and a lot of guys who collect 90's stuff who weren't even in to it at the time.

Members online

Latest posts