Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
The 1994 Puckett refractor was the last one that I added to my collection. It took me a long time to finally get one at a resonable price.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Awesome - $750 actually seems like a reasonable price for that. Not sure what the price of gold is at right now, but does that even cover the price of the gold alone? By the way - that guys collection is absolutely incredible!!

Gold is south of $1800 right now and actually wouldn't be a bad pick-up of a "card" considering it's REAL value in just gold alone.

As for the coin, WOW... never seen one and probably won't ever see a Belle

Just to be clear... so in 1997, there was a Coin Gold Redemption, which was a 1/1? (as shown) and then in 1998, there was a Coins Solid Gold Redemption, which is a solid gold coin? Then in 1998, similar to 1997, there is a gold plated version and only difference is in 1998 there is an Artist Proof of this as well.

Anyone know if there is unopened product of either 1997 Mint or 1998 Mint out there? Would be a fun product to bust...

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Never seen one of these.... 1997 Donruss Preferred Tins SAMPLE....

!BlGIFtQ!mk~$(KGrHqMH-EUEs9E6Mub,BL,OKqBv1!~~_12.JPG

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I think the 94 and 95's are much more rare than the 93's. Just remember 1994 was a strike year and all 94 product is in a shorter supply than 93 stuff.

My personal experience has been that the '93 was by far the hardest to obtain, followed by '95, then '94. I still see '94 Finest Refractors of my guy fairly regularly on eBay but hardly any '95's.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com.

Sep 11, 2009
My personal experience has been that the '93 was by far the hardest to obtain, followed by '95, then '94. I still see '94 Finest Refractors of my guy fairly regularly on eBay but hardly any '95's.

Same experience with my guy. Although '95 is pretty close to '93. Has any one else noticed the spike in their guy in recent '94 and '95 sales.

saucywombat

Feb 4, 2010
Folly Beach, SC
On the 1994 Finest Refractors -

When I put the set together Puckett & Bo Jackson seemed scarce. Also there was a strong demand for Rickey Henderson which made the card difficult to obtain (I think the Rickey collectors rotate around on the refractor du jour) Now the Puckett seems to come up somewhat frequently and the Jackson is usually available as well. The Henderson went through a period where you couldn't find one at $30 and then you couldn't get a bid at $7. Now it and the other star cards seem to not come out that much and seeing the occasional "good" auction price on some of the stars.

Long story short when I was putting the set together I would have sworn there were SP's, but after looking at it for the 7 years I've been back in collecting I think the biggest issue is that most of the time people are just not listing them because they are unaware of any demand or potential value
(as opposed to 93's). Some of the scarcity is related to big holders sitting on the supply until they can get more of a return on their investment. I would say over a seven year period a slight increase in interest in the 94 & 95 refractors, but still limited as opposed to 1993. You almost never run across graded examples of 94's or 95's and my PSA sets have been basically self submitted. It would be a bonus if there was more graded inventory and might encourage more set builders.

1995's are less plentiful on Ebay (generally) but again I think the biggest reason is that nobody really cares to list them. Perhaps 15% more scarce than 1994. Also 1995 marked the first "retail" offering of Finest, so the cards are likely more widely distributed over a large group of people. You could buy these at gas stations and a lot of product got busted in "Nomomania". I bought the entire Series 2 refractor set for $80 in 2007 or 2008 (including a Nomo and Jeter that graded PSA 9). Been a while since anyone has has a significant lot on Ebay though. The 1995's are a personal favorite - like that design.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
My Fall Intern brought in some junk 80's and 90's for me to look through and this was in there. Can't find any that have recently sold, but these cards are pretty sweet.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByFCB Cards1349805987.561772.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFCB Cards1349805987.561772.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 86
  • ImageUploadedByFCB Cards1349806000.669080.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFCB Cards1349806000.669080.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 72

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX

WOW lol.... that's some coin but good buy for sure for his stuff...

Man I hate that BB had a Belle Z2 and when I went to purchase it, I think for like $40 or something stupid, they came back and said they didn't actually have it.... but they did give me "store" credit for like 1.5x the amount I paid via the marketplace

randyherth

Sep 10, 2008
John's Creek, GA
I think that Steve has a source that produced these test run cards for Fleer. Took me 1-2 years of asking to get him to sell me a Thomas game breakers card because the guy that sells them to him keeps them in storage and only goes to that storage unit when Steve is making a big purchase from him. I wish that these cards didn't have such badly chipped edges, but they were a test run.....

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
I think that Steve has a source that produced these test run cards for Fleer. Took me 1-2 years of asking to get him to sell me a Thomas game breakers card because the guy that sells them to him keeps them in storage and only goes to that storage unit when Steve is making a big purchase from him. I wish that these cards didn't have such badly chipped edges, but they were a test run.....

He told me that his source is the designer of the cards. After Fleer printed the prototypes, they sent them to him. Said that 60-70 sheets were cut and the remaining 30-40 are still in sheets. Didn't know if Fleer kept any. Would be cool to see one of those sheets. Also said that Fleer handled them poorly. That's why so many have chipping issues.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts