Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Got a new scanner at work and it's giving me fits...

I was buying a card from Kruk Cards when I noticed they had this for a quarter. Must have been a mistake. Not every day you can get a Red Label /25 for 25 cents - some foil is missing on his name here on the front in addition to the telltale foil missing on the back.

rustygreerfan-albums-super-sweet-90-s-cards-picture10079-rondell-white-red-label.JPG

These aren't Super Sweet 90's Cards, but I thought some of you would appreciate Leaf re-using some of their early 90's issues for a reprint parallel in the mid-2000's:

2005 Leaf Passing Thru Time Silver Jeff Bagwell

rustygreerfan-albums-super-sweet-90-s-cards-picture9783-jeff-bagwell-2005-ptt-silver.jpg

2004 Leaf PTT Silver Ken Griffey Jr

rustygreerfan-albums-super-sweet-90-s-cards-picture10076-ken-griffey-jr-2004-leaf-silver-ptt.JPG

2004 Leaf PTT Silver Frank Thomas

rustygreerfan-albums-super-sweet-90-s-cards-picture10075-frank-thomas-2004-leaf-silver-ptt.JPG

2005 Leaf PTT Ken Griffey Jr

rustygreerfan-albums-super-sweet-90-s-cards-picture10077-ken-griffey-jr-2005-leaf-silver-ptt.JPG

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
Gwynn545, congrats on the huge week! great way to end the year and good momentum to take into the next one :)

It also took me a really long time to find this Pedro Martinez hobby redeemed card (H45). Only one that I have seen in the past 3 years.

MartinezPedro_1996UpperDeckPredictorHobby.jpg
MartinezPedro_1996UpperDeckPredictorHobbyExchange.jpg

All I know is that this was probably going to go on my most wanted list, so this has been an absolutely huge week for me.
Any info on this is appreciated:
1996 Predictors. Hobby and Retail. The Retail Redeemed (R57) has really been tough to find and finally landed it. Does anyone know if it actually harder to find, or has it just been bad luck/poor searching. This is actually the first I have found.
Hobby and Retail Unredeemed (H34 and R57):

Hobby and Retail Redeemed (H34 and R57):

Thanks for looking and any info!

Last edited:

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
A few recent pickups that came in this week with some significance:

1998 Ultra Platinum Medallion #001/100 - the last Pedro 90s platinum medallion I need for my collection, love the card layout:
MartinezPedro_1998UltraPlatinumMedallion34_001.jpg

1998 Zenith Z-Gold #028/100 - been looking for this card for over 2 years, finally snagged a serial #d version:
PiazzaMike_1998ZenithZ-Gold_028.jpg

1999 UD Ionix HoloGRFX - also been on the want list for a while. I missed out on one that was on ebay recently as the seller sold offline for $150. Another piazza collector picked one up on another forum for $40 and flipped it to me for the same price.
PiazzaMike_1999UDIonixHoloGRFX.jpg

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
Love all of those, esp. the HoloGrFX. Nearly impossible to find inserts. As for the Predictors, I'm glad Maddux only has the Hobby version.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
'90s gents! Anyone have any leads to these 3 oldest Albert Belle cards for my PC? I've only see a few promo panels on eBay but none had the Belle :(
1. 1990 Indians Team Issue
2. 1992 Panini Stickers French
3. 1992 Score/Pinnacle Promo Panels

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
'90s gents! Anyone have any leads to these 3 oldest Albert Belle cards for my PC? I've only see a few promo panels on eBay but none had the Belle :(
1. 1990 Indians Team Issue
2. 1992 Panini Stickers French
3. 1992 Score/Pinnacle Promo Panels

Just landed the Maddux Panini French sticker this past year. It had been very elusive. maybe seen only one before that. Bought it in a Cubs team set.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
A few recent pickups that came in this week with some significance:

1998 Ultra Platinum Medallion #001/100 - the last Pedro 90s platinum medallion I need for my collection, love the card layout:
MartinezPedro_1998UltraPlatinumMedallion34_001.jpg

1998 Zenith Z-Gold #028/100 - been looking for this card for over 2 years, finally snagged a serial #d version:
PiazzaMike_1998ZenithZ-Gold_028.jpg

1999 UD Ionix HoloGRFX - also been on the want list for a while. I missed out on one that was on ebay recently as the seller sold offline for $150. Another piazza collector picked one up on another forum for $40 and flipped it to me for the same price.
PiazzaMike_1999UDIonixHoloGRFX.jpg
Holy cow!! That hologrfx is sweet!! And the Platinum is awesome, too! Gotta love #1/xx!! So you have the 90's platinums, how about 2000 and 2001??

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Just landed the Maddux Panini French sticker this past year. It had been very elusive. maybe seen only one before that. Bought it in a Cubs team set.

Hmmm yea I haven't seen one in a while or forever for that matter.... Beckett added it to Belle's player checklist in the last year or so, so I'm sure it spiked earlier but I hadn't been looking for it! Suckkkkkssss

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
Thanks! I have the 2001 but not the 2000. Still looking to pick that one up.

For my Piazza PC, still missing the 1998 Pizzazz #485, #501 and the 2000 and 2001 versions.

any and all tips or leads are welcome!

Holy cow!! That hologrfx is sweet!! And the Platinum is awesome, too! Gotta love #1/xx!! So you have the 90's platinums, how about 2000 and 2001??

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
Some new ones:

1996FinestRefractorsGold.jpg
1998CrownRoyaleAllStars.jpg
1999PacificInvincibleRed1.jpg

1997SportsIllustratedExtraEdition75.jpg
1998ToppsMysteryFinestRefractorsM26.jpg
1998ToppsMysteryFinestRefractorsM26B.jpg

1997UpperDeckStarAttractionsGold.jpg

The Star Attractions Gold was pretty tough to find. Anybody have any info on it? I think it was a retail exclusive, but I don't know odds.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
1997UpperDeckStarAttractionsGold.jpg

The Star Attractions Gold was pretty tough to find. Anybody have any info on it? I think it was a retail exclusive, but I don't know odds.

There are two series to the 1997 Star Attractions set. I don't know where the Series 2 (including Maddux) come from but Series 1 was in 1998 UD Series one packs that had no insertion ratios. Just said that there is a Star Attractions in every pack. I bought about 20 of the packs from the 99c store and the Golds were ~1:6 packs. No mention of Golds on the wrapper and the Golds weren't identified by Beckett when I busted the packs.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I've noticed a more-than-expected number of 1998 Sports Illustrated 'First Edition' 1/1s popping up lately. The seller who has been selling them is also selling a large number of proofs from all sports.

I don't want to give the seller any unnecessary or uncalled for issues, but since the difference between 'Extra Edition' and 'First Edition' parallels is just some simple text on the back of the card... and because the seller has a bunch of proofs (and possibly access to a printer?)... would anyone else have any concerns about the 1/1s?

Example

Proofs - can search on completed 1/1s

Like I said I'm not coming out and saying the seller is doing anything wrong, but anyone else find this unusual? Is it normal for the stamp on front of the card to say 'Extra Edition' for 'First Edition' parallels?

Last edited:

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I've noticed a more-than-expected number of 1998 Sports Illustrated 'First Edition' 1/1s popping up lately. The seller who has been selling them is also selling a large number of proofs from all sports.

I don't want to give the seller any unnecessary or uncalled for issues, but since the difference between 'Extra Edition' and 'First Edition' parallels is just some simple text on the back of the card... and because the seller has a bunch of proofs (and possibly access to a printer?)... would anyone else have any concerns about the 1/1s?

Example

Proofs - can search on completed 1/1s

Like I said I'm not coming out and saying the seller is doing anything wrong, but anyone else find this unusual? Is it normal for the stamp on front of the card to say 'Extra Edition' for 'First Edition' parallels?

Yes, it looks like the First Editions do say "Extra Edition" on front, with the purple "The Only 1 of 1 First Edition" stamp on back; there's a scan of one here: Brett Butler Collection - Fleer

Seller has some other very intriguing stuff. If those other proofs are all legit, they're probably a steal at the $1 BINs he has on them.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Yes, it looks like the First Editions do say "Extra Edition" on front, with the purple "The Only 1 of 1 First Edition" stamp on back; there's a scan of one here: Brett Butler Collection - Fleer

Seller has some other very intriguing stuff. If those other proofs are all legit, they're probably a steal at the $1 BINs he has on them.

There are also First Edition parallels with a different stamp:
1998 Sports Illustrated World Series Fever First Edition 17 Joe Carter COV.jpg

Perhaps these are just from a different set/subset then... (?)

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
Your Maddux collection is awesome! I always wondered what everyone's player collections would look like spread out on a table.

Thanks. The great thing about collecting Maddux is that you'll never run out of cool cards that you don't have, and he's much more affordable than a Griffey, Thomas or Ripken. I guess Gwynn is kind of the same way.

Members online

Latest posts