Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Haven't posted in awhile, and I'm behind on scanning, but got this one in today: 1998 Pacific Omega EO Portraits 1/1

Omega-EO-Portraits-1-of-1.jpg

Wow... now that is a really sweet '90s insert! Did all players have one of these? I just checked my Belle checklist and he isn't showing a 1/1 in that set.

Dec 10, 2008
Wow... now that is a really sweet '90s insert! Did all players have one of these? I just checked my Belle checklist and he isn't showing a 1/1 in that set.

Every player in the 20 card EO Portraits insert set has the parallel. No Belle in that set according to my Beckett Almanac. These look really cool when held up to the light, the player's face get a lot better defined.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
That's pretty sweet. I was wondering what one of those looked like.

Is there anything besides the "1/1" to differentiate the regular from the 1/1? Is the foil different?

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
This isn't a 90s insert, but from 2000 instead. Pedro Martinez didn't have a Pacific Omega EO Portraits 1 of 1 until 2000. Please don't ban me for posting in the wrong thread! :)

MartinezPedro_2000PacificOmegaEOPortraits1of1_1.jpg

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
As far as I can tell, the only thing that differentiates them is the 1/1. Seems rather easy to fake. I did see an Ivan Rodriguez 2000 1 of 1 on ebay last Spring. Not sure if a boardmember picked it up.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
Is the 1/1 on the McGwire actually cut out of the card by the same process they used to make the portrait or just stamped on? Couldn't tell from the scan...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Freedom Card Board mobile app

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
You can tell with how the "1/1" is backwards on the scan of the back.

That is my concern is that if it is just die-cut, with no other difference, that faking it could be easy.

Dec 10, 2008
The Pedro is cutout...assume the Big Mac is the same but will let Mark McGwire Museum answer

Yeah it's cut out as well. I thought it was an aftermarket "1/1" but did research the hell out of it before I pulled the trigger. They do seem like someone could fake them and fool someone, but with this in hand you can tell by the edges of the cut that it was laser cut like the portrait cut out. Those viewing on a desktop monitor can see the edges are the same on the back where the yellowish card stock is slightly visible on the edges. It's hard to tell in the scan, but the 1's are a type of font with slight flares at each end , not just vertical bars. I bought it knowing I could return it if it didn't look correct in hand.

The card is identical to the base besides the 1/1 cut out

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Who has their guy in these sets or can tell me how to look out for them? I'm obviously in search of the Belle....

1998 Pinnacle Certified Mirror Red Test Issue #23 - Albert Belle

1998 Pinnacle Totally Certified Platinum Gold Test Issue #23 - Albert Belle (#/30?)

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Who has their guy in these sets or can tell me how to look out for them? I'm obviously in search of the Belle....

1998 Pinnacle Certified Mirror Red Test Issue #23 - Albert Belle

1998 Pinnacle Totally Certified Platinum Gold Test Issue #23 - Albert Belle (#/30?)

Mirror Red and Gold, there is a Belle
Platinum Gold, no Belle.....only set cards 1-10.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Hmmmm so the 1998 Pinnacle Totally Certified Platinum Gold Test Issue #23 doesn't exist because they only has test issues for cards 1-10 in the set?

They later called them "test" but initially they were printed in advance of the full set. But yes only cards 1-10 were actually printed in Gold.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
They later called them "test" but initially they were printed in advance of the full set. But yes only cards 1-10 were actually printed in Gold.

Very helpful. I'm trying to clean up my Belle checklist and Beckett historically is hit/miss when it comes to this. I pay for Belle's checklist via Beckett, so I feel like I have the right to ask them to clean it up to make it more accurate. I know I'm OCD but o well ;)

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
OK thanks for the info! You have to document whatever background you can when you get the chance- because if you get a shot at one of the 1/1s if your player pops up you don't want to be second guessing if it is legit or not!

Pacific definitely had some odd 1/1s. I have a 2001 Private Stock Artist's canvas proof Manny Ramirez that is printed on a canvas like material, and then has a piece of paper glued to the back that states it is 1/1.

Yeah it's cut out as well. I thought it was an aftermarket "1/1" but did research the hell out of it before I pulled the trigger. They do seem like someone could fake them and fool someone, but with this in hand you can tell by the edges of the cut that it was laser cut like the portrait cut out. Those viewing on a desktop monitor can see the edges are the same on the back where the yellowish card stock is slightly visible on the edges. It's hard to tell in the scan, but the 1's are a type of font with slight flares at each end , not just vertical bars. I bought it knowing I could return it if it didn't look correct in hand.

The card is identical to the base besides the 1/1 cut out

Dec 10, 2008
Pacific definitely had some odd 1/1s. I have a 2001 Private Stock Artist's canvas proof Manny Ramirez that is printed on a canvas like material, and then has a piece of paper glued to the back that states it is 1/1.

Is it black & white? I think I have seen the A-Rod posted somewhere from the person that pulled it.

Members online

Latest posts