Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
Fandruw25 said:
George_Calfas said:
Fandruw25 said:
AUTaxMan said:
Nice International Refractor. If you find them without horrible centering, you have done very well for yourself. Check the BGS pop report for that set.

I take it these are hard to come by?

Only 205 PSA10, this includes both international refractors and international non-refractors.......this card would not resub as a PSA10 under PSA current guidelines.

Assuming its because the centering is slightly off?....either way, doesn't matter since I really despise PSA and would never willingly submit with them.

When did you have that slabbed?

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
AUTaxMan said:
Fandruw25 said:
George_Calfas said:
Fandruw25 said:
AUTaxMan said:
Nice International Refractor. If you find them without horrible centering, you have done very well for yourself. Check the BGS pop report for that set.

Only 205 PSA10, this includes both international refractors and international non-refractors.......this card would not resub as a PSA10 under PSA current guidelines.

Assuming its because the centering is slightly off?....either way, doesn't matter since I really despise PSA and would never willingly submit with them.

BGS Card Number 6795825
Set Name: 1999 Bowman Chrome International Refractors
Player Name: Andruw Jones
Date Graded: Tuesday, June 21, 2011
Centering Corners Edges Surfaces
9 9.5 9.5 9.5
Final Grade: 9.5

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
AndruwHRJones said:
AUTaxMan said:
Fandruw25 said:
George_Calfas said:
Fandruw25 said:
[quote="AUTaxMan":3uizeau9]

BGS Card Number 6795825
Set Name: 1999 Bowman Chrome International Refractors
Player Name: Andruw Jones
Date Graded: Tuesday, June 21, 2011
Centering Corners Edges Surfaces
9 9.5 9.5 9.5
Final Grade: 9.5[/quote:3uizeau9]

Congratulations. Not many 9.5s out there. At one time I had 5 of the 10 or so in existence, including this one:

u52.jpg

They have relaxed the grading on this set over the years. Much easier to get a 9 or 9.5 than it use to be. Yours is very nice. This was my Andruw:

u32.jpg

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
DeliciousBacon said:
[quote="mansgameI should know the answer to this but these had cards inside, so essentially a bunch of these could of been opened and tossed after right? I haven't seen the Albert Belle.

Anyone who ripped a Gold Impulse open and threw it away should get their face punched off.

I'd bet that many of them are still in packs, I know I refused to buy that stuff when it came out because I hated (and still do, to some degree) jumbo cards. Pretty sure I've seen a few online dealers with Zenith boxes for sale, fairly cheap too.[/quote]

LOL!

Considering the 5x7 golds were #/100 (via beckett) they seem pretty rare. Does anyone have a guess what the chances were to find one in a box? I think there were 3 of the 5x7s in each hobby box, so it would have to be per so many boxes that you come across a gold.

And in regards to the above post, there does seem to be a bunch of this product unopened and out there. A quick google search shows boxes of this stuff for $25-$40 a box. Not sure if that is a good buy or not but still interesting.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
mansgame said:
DeliciousBacon said:
[quote="mansgameI should know the answer to this but these had cards inside, so essentially a bunch of these could of been opened and tossed after right? I haven't seen the Albert Belle.

Anyone who ripped a Gold Impulse open and threw it away should get their face punched off.

I'd bet that many of them are still in packs, I know I refused to buy that stuff when it came out because I hated (and still do, to some degree) jumbo cards. Pretty sure I've seen a few online dealers with Zenith boxes for sale, fairly cheap too.

LOL!

Considering the 5x7 golds were #/100 (via beckett) they seem pretty rare. Does anyone have a guess what the chances were to find one in a box? I think there were 3 of the 5x7s in each hobby box, so it would have to be per so many boxes that you come across a gold.

And in regards to the above post, there does seem to be a bunch of this product unopened and out there. A quick google search shows boxes of this stuff for $25-$40 a box. Not sure if that is a good buy or not but still interesting.[/quote]

Each pack was 5 of the 5x7s which could then be opened to show the regular card in them.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Love the Piazza. I thought the silver embossed refractor effect looked way better on the lighter cards like that one than the darker cards like Power.

So weird with those Fractal Materials Wood how the die-cuts ended up being more plentiful than the non die-cuts.

AK11

May 24, 2010
Question for the 90s inserts experts here: what is a good price on a Pinnacle stand up sample? In particular one with stars on them? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
tonsofcommons said:
mansgame said:
DeliciousBacon said:

I'd bet that many of them are still in packs, I know I refused to buy that stuff when it came out because I hated (and still do, to some degree) jumbo cards. Pretty sure I've seen a few online dealers with Zenith boxes for sale, fairly cheap too.

LOL!

And in regards to the above post, there does seem to be a bunch of this product unopened and out there. A quick google search shows boxes of this stuff for $25-$40 a box. Not sure if that is a good buy or not but still interesting.

Each pack was 5 of the 5x7s which could then be opened to show the regular card in them.[/quote]

Yep. And as Cobra pointed out...they can be had for $10 a box. That's what I paid for mine. I didn't bust open any of the cards though. To me...that seemed dumb. I don't think the guy has any left out there where I bought it either. But I will check.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Cobra29svt said:
RustyGreerFan said:
So weird with those Fractal Materials Wood how the die-cuts ended up being more plentiful than the non die-cuts.

How do you figure that?

I misspoke... it's only the case with X-Axis Wood Die Cuts.

For each Wood card there were 250 issued. Z-Axis Wood had the first 50 die-cut leaving 200 not die-cut. Y-Axis Wood had the first 100 die-cut leaving 150 not die-cut. But X-Axis Wood had the first 200 die-cut leaving only 50 as non die-cut.

So in regard to the Konerko Wood - he's a Z-Axis, so the die-cut is definitely the rarer version (50 as opposed to 200).

But the Ivan Rodriguez Wood, for example, is an X-Axis. So the non die-cut is rarer (50) than the die-cut (200).

Crazy.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
predatorkj said:
tonsofcommons said:
mansgame said:
DeliciousBacon said:

LOL!

Each pack was 5 of the 5x7s which could then be opened to show the regular card in them.

Yep. And as Cobra pointed out...they can be had for $10 a box. That's what I paid for mine. I didn't bust open any of the cards though. To me...that seemed dumb. I don't think the guy has any left out there where I bought it either. But I will check.[/quote]

Good stuff. I only did a quick google search but for that price I'd buy a box or two for fun. Let me know through PM if you know of anynfor that price.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Ok, I have owned 3 of these cards. All of them with the refractor on Biggios side only. Anyone ever seen it with Refractor on Bagwell's side? Or both sides? or niether side? Do the others exist? Discuss... :p

Topps%20Finest%20Double%20Feature%204%20Refractor%20Biggio%20Side.jpg

n1astrosfn

Dec 4, 2008
charlotte
1998 zenith info

ive posted this before, but i busted about 50+ boxes of these when an ebay liquidator was selling these and I used bing cash back. it cost roughly 12 a box and def worth it.

you get roughly 1 z-gold /100 or 1 gold impulse /100 EVERY OTHER box. in 59 boxes i got exactly 15 z-golds and 15 gold impulses. i think it was 18 packs per box, 3 jumbo cards per box. inserts are ALWAYS in the middle or middle jumbo. impulse parallels NEVER had an insert so its pointless to cut those (i only cut a few silver impulses that were dupes to check the theory but i think its true but dont want to test the theory too much

there were jumbo z-teams. sometimes you had to cut those cause those were the ONLY cards with ROOKIE z-team inserts (10-18) and ALL z-team gold inserts (1-18). regular size z-team (1-9) were inserted in regular jumbo cards.

also there are rookie thrills and raising the bar but those were bleh. the icing on the cake is the epix inserts. i think i pulled a ryno green season which sold for about 60.

the boxes i bought were a later run which explains how i DID NOT COMPLETE ONE SET. i think jeter was missing in like 5 partial sets. these boxes are left over cause also inserted was an insert that was a redemption for one box of 1998 zenith. anyone with surplus prolly got this stock that was withheld for that prize promotion.

also, most of the small cards have stickiness on the back as they actually used a glue substance in the cards. i had to carefully remove each card AFTER carefully slitting it with a razor blade. inevitiably, not matter how careful anyone is, a card or two will get damaged. i would say 80% of the cards had residue, but i removed it from most of the cards by just rubbing it with my hand and wiping it with a cloth. (insert joke)

and therein lies my informative information on 1998 zenith

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
ASTROBURN said:
Ok, I have owned 3 of these cards. All of them with the refractor on Biggios side only. Anyone ever seen it with Refractor on Bagwell's side? Or both sides? or niether side? Do the others exist? Discuss... :p

I have both the full version and the Maddux refractor side version of the Greg Maddux/Tom Glavine. I also think I have seen a Glavine side refractor. I assume it is the same for all cards in the set. Don't think a neither side exists.

n1astrosfn

Dec 4, 2008
charlotte
RustyGreerFan said:
Cobra29svt said:
RustyGreerFan said:

How do you figure that?

I misspoke... it's only the case with X-Axis Wood Die Cuts.

For each Wood card there were 250 issued. Z-Axis Wood had the first 50 die-cut leaving 200 not die-cut. Y-Axis Wood had the first 100 die-cut leaving 150 not die-cut. But X-Axis Wood had the first 200 die-cut leaving only 50 as non die-cut.

So in regard to the Konerko Wood - he's a Z-Axis, so the die-cut is definitely the rarer version (50 as opposed to 200).

But the Ivan Rodriguez Wood, for example, is an X-Axis. So the non die-cut is rarer (50) than the die-cut (200).

Crazy.

the fractal tiering was way wonky way confusing.

i know for the base leaf set with the fractal MATRIX, the x-axis gold non-die cut was also rarer than the die cut (100 vs 400) CONFUSING!

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
ASTROBURN said:

My copy has the Biggio side as the Refractor. I haven't seen a Bgwell side Ref, or the Dual Ref, but I don't see them very often anyways. I have a Scott Rolen/Burrell Dual Ref, dug through lot of dime boxes for that one!

EDIT: PMing you!

Members online