Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
Are these gold ones that tough to get?

Supposedly the toughest of the three color variations but for some reason, I've seen three or four Ripkens the last couple of years but NEVER saw another of this of any player. Does anybody have a Gold ? Silver letters they can share a scan of?

attachment.php

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
The red letter ones are the toughies. They were part of a special redemption.

Gold
attachment.php

Red
attachment.php

Here's what BaseballCardPedia says, but I think there's a better explanation out there somewhere:

Stand and Deliver

This 24-card set is broken into six separate four-card groupings and was part of a contest, randomly inserted into all Series Two packs. Groups contain players from the following teams: 1-4 (Braves), 5-8 (Mariners), 9-12 (Yankees), 13-16 (Dodgers), 17-20 (Indians) and 21-24 (Wild Card). The four players featured within the Wild Card group are from "lesser" teams whom Pinnacle Brands thought had no shot at winning the 1997 World Series.

Hobbyists who held all four cards of the 1997 World Series Champion (or the four Wild Cards if one of the five selected teams did not win) could mail them to Pinnacle for a special framed Gold version of the set. Since the Florida Marlins won the World Series, the four Wild Cards wound up being the winning cards.

Stand and Deliver Gold was limited to 275 sets and came encased in a glass frame. Because of the unusual distribution, Stand and Deliver Gold singles are difficult to find. The Gold cards came in two different flavors, Gold with silver letters and Gold with red letters. The Gold with red letters version is extremely rare.

All 24 cards come in 3 versions:

Silver with gold letters
Gold with silver letters (rare as only 225 sets were produced)
Gold with red letters (extremely rare, print run is unknown)

Last edited:

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
I'm pretty sure that explanation is correct. I've heard some say there were only 25 sets with red letters and the other 200 sets were silver letters. For Mariano I've seen 3 red letters and own 2 and I've seen 6+ silvers and own 4, including a PSA 10.

Scott F

1997 SCORE STAND & DELIVER GOLD #12 PSA 10.jpg

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
1997 Upper Deck Power Package

NOTE: A special 5" X 7" version was randomly inserted into specially marked Series One boxes sold exclusively at Sam's Club stores.

powerjumbo.jpg

timtom

Apr 24, 2013
Nashville, TN
Picked this up as part of a really poorly labeled lot on ebay. Was just listed as "90s baseball and football"
Ken Griffey Jr 1998 Donruss Preferred Great Xpectations Die Cut.jpg

also got half of the title waves set, a few cut to the chase parallels

Members online