Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NY Tony

Mar 29, 2013
scan0019_zps473367f8.jpg

Niiice

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
So this was the very first 1993 Finest Refractor ever to receive the BGS 9.5 grade. I bought it in 1998 but being in my younger days I ended up being tight on cash. I sold the card to my good friend Phil Gold but pined over the card ever since I shipped it. In 2011 Phil promised me the Karros as a PhD graduation gift. This past spring Phil delivered the generous gift as promised.

Subs are on the back: 9, 9.5, 10, 9.5......yes the case needs to be replaced.

scan0020_zps17ac004d.jpg

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
Nice 93 refractors George! Like Hendersonfan said, one of these days I'm gonna pick me up a Piazza. Have a crazy dream of getting a nicely centered no refractor line Piazza but most of the ones I see on ebay either sell way above what I'm willing to pay at that point in time or have bad centering issues.

just did a quick BGS pop report search on Piazza, 12 cards graded and the highest is a 8.5! six of them to be exact followed by four 8s and one 7.5 and one 6.5

Crazy that only 55 cards out of 1,105 have received a 9.5 grade (and yes, I recognize that grading is a bit of a crapshoot so trying to just state the fact here). and no pristine 10s. That's less than 5% of the graded population. I wonder what the equivalent would be for PSA? I have a terrible time reading and interpreting their pop reports because of how things get labeled and therefore recorded in their database...

anyways a couple fun facts while I was perusing the BGS pop report:

fun fact #1 - the most graded 93 finest card is, not suprisingly, the Junior Griffey AS card. Pop report 44, with five 9.5s

fun fact #2 - the most graded 93 finest card without a gem mint 9.5 is (drumroll please)...Roger Clemens, with 18 cards graded

fun fact #3 - the second most graded 93 finest card without a gem mint 9.5 is...yes, the famouse Eric Young, with 17 cards graded

fun fact #4 - there have been more Eric Young Finest Refractors graded by Beckett than of Kirby Puckett, Mike Piazza, Jeff Bagwell, Ivan Rodriguez, George Brett, Tony Gwynn, Greg Maddux, or Bo Jackson!

Jun 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
I've also been looking for a nicely centered Edgar Martinez '93 Finest refractor at a decent price. I've seen a number hit ebay recently, but they're all either way off-center or priced too high for me. Gotta love the thrill of the chase!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
So this was the very first 1993 Finest Refractor ever to receive the BGS 9.5 grade. I bought it in 1998 but being in my younger days I ended up being tight on cash. I sold the card to my good friend Phil Gold but pined over the card ever since I shipped it. In 2011 Phil promised me the Karros as a PhD graduation gift. This past spring Phil delivered the generous gift as promised.

Subs are on the back: 9, 9.5, 10, 9.5......yes the case needs to be replaced.

scan0020_zps17ac004d.jpg

Glad he hooked you back up ! Very nice gesture.

Ryan

Latest posts