Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jam022316

Jul 31, 2018
View attachment 91876

Thought I would bump this thread with a fun acquisition. This one had been teasing me for a while and the price seemed to keep getting a little better. Then with the 10% eBay bucks I took the plunge! I didn’t start out trying to do it but I have a nearly complete set at this point too. Missing a couple of the keys in Will Clark and Frank Thomas but many of the ones I do have are BGS 9s and 9.5s.

What’s the story behind these? Why are they so rare?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
i believe they never were released.

A very limited amount of 5" X 7" cards were produced. These issues were never formally released but these cards were intended to be premiums in retail products. I've also heard they were salesman samples................... so who really knows

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
I've told this story for years, but I got one of the DKs out of the bottom of a box of 1992 Donruss cards at a gas station. It was just in a white sleeve, totally unmarked. I almost missed that it was even there because it just looked like the bottom of the box. I spent the summer buying all of the packs from this box, grabbing one or two with my allowance when we would go to the lake on the weekend. I asked the gas station attendant how much for it and they just gave it to me. I have no idea where it is, but if I ever find it, there is another Frank Thomas out there.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I've told this story for years, but I got one of the DKs out of the bottom of a box of 1992 Donruss cards at a gas station. It was just in a white sleeve, totally unmarked. I almost missed that it was even there because it just looked like the bottom of the box. I spent the summer buying all of the packs from this box, grabbing one or two with my allowance when we would go to the lake on the weekend. I asked the gas station attendant how much for it and they just gave it to me. I have no idea where it is, but if I ever find it, there is another Frank Thomas out there.
you sure it was 1992? 1994 had them as toppers
Each retail waxbox came packaged with a 5" X 7" oversized Diamond King as a box topper, which is serial-numbered to 10,000 copies. also 1993 had Elite Supers, not sure how they were distributed

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
you sure it was 1992? 1994 had them as toppers
Each retail waxbox came packaged with a 5" X 7" oversized Diamond King as a box topper, which is serial-numbered to 10,000 copies. also 1993 had Elite Supers, not sure how they were distributed

100% sure. I opened so many packs of 1992 Donruss that year, and I don't know how anyone could confuse the design of 1992 with 1994 lol

Also, the 1994 oversized Diamond King cards were marked as such on the envelope. This envelope was just white with nothing on it. It just looked like the bottom of the box.

Jul 22, 2016
fe1e36e7e1d1dfb7e3878ad904e6e1ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Why are those 1992? Here is a Juan 1993. Same design

http://juangone.com/pictures.php?cardid=114

1993 had the same design too

also this that year
As part of a contest, collectors 16 years of age and younger could win one of the original Diamond King paintings. All a youngster had to do was to write an essay of 75 words or less explaining who their favorite Diamond King player was and why. Winners were awarded one of 30 framed watercolors at the 1993 National Sports Collectors Convention in Chicago.

DK7 Juan Gonzalez

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest

If you come across that Thomas...I'm a highly interested party. Get to looking! :lol:

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Why are those 1992? Here is a Juan 1993. Same design

https://juangone.com/pictures.php?cardid=114

The design of the front of both 1992 and 1993 were the same. The backs are different colors though. 1992s have blue backgrounds and 1993s have green if memory serves.

The copyright dates are different as well. 1992 has a 1991 copyright and the 1993 set has a 1992 copyright. I can only guess that means they were printed in the previous year (late in the year perhaps?) for release at the beginning of the following year.

Juan wasn't in the 1992 set.

Last edited: