Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Just won this bad boy (stoked it's 17/17 - last and jersey #) Never see these for sale and 2 of the 17 have hit eBay in the past 2 weeks:

$_57.JPG

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Wow, this thread was all the way on page 3 of the Baseball home page...tsk tsk. thought it deserved a bump

finally finished this "rainbow", although condition of a few leaves something to be desired. Not much to look at but I thought some of the guys here would appreciate it. Got them in the following order--regular PPI, 100 pt, 75 pt, 25 pt, 50 pt:

MartinezPedro_1998ToppsGalleryPlayersPrivateIssue.jpg

MartinezPedro_1998ToppsGalleryPlayersPrivateIssueAuction25pts_zps1a58a44a.jpg
MartinezPedro_1998ToppsGalleryPlayersPrivateIssueAuction50pts_zps86ac54e4.jpg
MartinezPedro_1998ToppsGalleryPlayersPrivateIssueAuction75pts_zpsc08cd862.jpg
MartinezPedro_1998ToppsGalleryPlayersPrivateIssueAuction100pts_back.jpg

Have the 25 points and 50 points... 75 points just showed up on COMCs, so picked it up for $2... now just need the 100 points.

Anyone know how are these are to find or if 100 points are tougher than the others to find? Anyone have the 100 pointer for me ;)

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
Per Beckett:

Seeded at a rate of one per pack, these standard-sized cards loosely parallel the far more scarce Player's Private Issue cards. Two glaring differences, however, are readily apparent: 1) The Auction cards are printed on thin paper stock (compared to the thick 20 pt board for PPI cards) and 2) The Auction card backs contain rules and guidelines for the auction promotion (compared to the normal statistics and player photo on the PPI cards). Collectors who obtained Auction cards were supposed to "bid" on a selection of ten different pieces of framed artwork (one for each of the following players: J.Gonzalez, M.McGwire, C.Ripken, M.Piazza, C.Jones, F.Thomas, D.Jeter, K.Griffey Jr., A.Rodriguez and N.Garciaparra). Bidding points were available in 25, 50, 75 and 100 point increments detailed at the top right corner of each Auction card back. Point totals were doubled, however, when the player featured on the Auction card was the same player actually being bid on. The auction period ran from July 4th, 1998 through October 16th, 1998. During that time period, collectors had to mail in their accumulated bid points and specify which of the ten pieces they were bidding upon. An "800" number was available for collectors to check upon the status of the current high bid, allowing them the opportunity to submit additional bid points prior to the October 16th closing date. Winners were notified 30 days after the closing date.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
Just found this in my ill-fated Ben Grieve stash - my last great collecting hoorah before getting out of the hobby in '99/'00. I had it with a bunch of B-list inserts so it appears the 017/250 serial number effectively fooled me back in the day.

FractalZGrieve.jpg

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
While I'm at it, the rest of the agony. BeckettOnline B/S/T was a revelation gathering low # inserts back in the day. I hate to think about what I was trading off.

Grieve1.jpg

Grieve2.jpg

Latest posts