Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
Thanks...this was the mystery Manny (and there was a Bagwell also) back in the middle of the second 90's inserts thread... glad to have the mystery solved!

IMG-1.jpg
IMG_0009-2.jpg

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio
nosterbor said:
Jack Straw said:
Some of those CC cards are really a bear! 97 Power Package Jumbo (never seen a Griffey)
Griffey Hot List Jumbos, Golden Jubilee jumbos and The All Star Jumbos. Tough tough and tough.
the power package is in Upper Deck. i also have never seen a Juan. i got lucky and found these
1997 Collector's Choice Premier Power Jumbo
juan_picture.jpg
also have this
1998 Collector's Choice Golden Jubilee 5x7
juan_picture.jpg
1998 UD3 Power Corps Blowups
juan_picture.jpg

I have a extra if you need it.

5606239891_c23883cc5b_z.jpg

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Jack Straw said:
Some of those CC cards are really a bear! 97 Power Package Jumbo (never seen a Griffey)
Griffey Hot List Jumbos, Golden Jubilee jumbos and The All Star Jumbos. Tough tough and tough.
this the 97 power package jumbo?
powerjumbo.jpg

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
Thumpersports said:

The Mattingly version of this was my dream card in the 90's. It never showed up until I quit collecting Mattingly and still sold for almost $2k.

Did you happen to buy the massive Troy Glaus collection that Huggins & Scott sold in their last auction?

Thumpersports

Aug 9, 2008
Calgary
Jastermereel said:
Thumpersports said:

The Mattingly version of this was my dream card in the 90's. It never showed up until I quit collecting Mattingly and still sold for almost $2k.

Did you happen to buy the massive Troy Glaus collection that Huggins & Scott sold in their last auction?

I placed several bids but when the amount got to $800 the value just wasnt there. I would have loved to obtain a few of the cards but in reality, I only needed a handful of them. Since I live in Canada, I felt trying to sell the rest off wouldnt be worth it. Hopefully who ever purchased it, lists them somewhere because it would be nice to grab a few!

Kinda strange through, my doubles would have made just as good of a "ultimate collection of Glaus" as that auction. To bad I couldnt have made a few trades/purchases from the seller previous, we could have helped each other out!

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
magicpapa said:
Jack Straw said:
powerjumbo.jpg

I actually snagged the Bagwell a long while back. It went pretty cheap as a BIN I think.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
predatorkj said:
magicpapa said:
Jack Straw said:
powerjumbo.jpg

I actually snagged the Bagwell a long while back. It went pretty cheap as a BIN I think.
that is the only one i have seen of any player!!!!!!!

jacobbocce72

Aug 7, 2008
Austin, TX
gwynn5453l4u said:
Jack Straw said:
96 CC Vending Machine card. Never heard of them until last week.
They measure really weird size 2 3/8 x 3 7/16 it actually looks like it
could be to the 32th of an inch but who knows.
96CC_FrontBackA.jpg

Nice!!!!! Another mystery solved. Someone posted one of these (Bagwell??) a year or so ago and nobody could figure it out' especially with the numbering!!! So' where what who why do you know about these? Anyone have a checklist?

Yes!!! It was me!!! Thanks so much for the info on these... I can rest easy :)

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
nosterbor said:
predatorkj said:
magicpapa said:
Jack Straw said:
powerjumbo.jpg

that is the only one i have seen of any player!!!!!!!

Yes that is it is it available :D :D There is a Mark Mcgwire one pictured on the Mcgwire site.
Funny how tough these are my SCD says one per second series boxes but it seems that info may be wrong ?

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
Thumpersports said:
Jastermereel said:
Thumpersports said:

I placed several bids but when the amount got to $800 the value just wasnt there. I would have loved to obtain a few of the cards but in reality, I only needed a handful of them. Since I live in Canada, I felt trying to sell the rest off wouldnt be worth it. Hopefully who ever purchased it, lists them somewhere because it would be nice to grab a few!

Kinda strange through, my doubles would have made just as good of a "ultimate collection of Glaus" as that auction. To bad I couldnt have made a few trades/purchases from the seller previous, we could have helped each other out!

I almost bid on it, but wasn't sure how hard it would be to move Glaus stuff (no offense).

There was another lot I wanted, but when I went to bid it seems I had forgotten to bid during the regular bidding session so I couldn't bid at the end... ::facepalm::

Anyway, that Retro Platinum is outstanding. Congrats!

Jan 14, 2009
Jack Straw said:
96 CC Vending Machine card. Never heard of them until last week.
They measure really weird size 2 3/8 x 3 7/16 it actually looks like it
could be to the 32th of an inch but who knows.
96CC_FrontBackA.jpg

I purchased a large number of these when they were released (early 1997, IIRC) from vending machines at Toys R' Us in Burbank, CA. From what I recall, they were $0.50 a piece and there seemed to be 3-5x the amount of some players than others - Paul Molitor and Glenallen Hill immediately come to mind. I probably bought close to 100 cards from that machine and yes, the foil cards (1-6) are produced in smaller quantities. I spoke to the seller who has them up now, who worked for the vending company and he says that the 500ct vending boxes have far fewer of the foils than the remaining 42 subjects. It was also my experience that Barry Bonds' foil showed up more often than any of the other 5 players. I never once saw a Piazza or a Frank Thomas at the time. I remember that they were not available for very long either. I was trying to build a set, despite the maddening amount of duplicates and before I came close, the machine had been switched over.

For years I held on to these singles, sometime in 2005 or so, I sold my lone Jeter, my Pucketts, Bonds, Sosa and Gwynn. All the remaining "semistars" were probably junked in a craigslist super-lot. I think by that time I was tired of waiting for a guide to acknowledge them. I searched often, but couldn't find any mention of them and interest was minimal.

Apparently, UD also produced these sets for 1996-97 basketball and 1996 and 1997 football.

I'm glad to see some interest in these oddball items and getting to talk to someone who distributed them is very helpful. Until a massive glut of them show up for sale, I'm pretty certain that these are considerably rare. Or rare in that "magazine pack" or chain-store exclusive way, not unlike 1996 Team Topps or any of those odd Wal-Mart packaging types that offered a jumbo version of an insert. We'll see, I guess.

Members online