Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Very tough issue. Always loved these. Assume this is a duplicate for you, Brad? If memory serves me these weren't distributed like the other versions. I think these were only issue in some sort of retail bag of assorted cards and packs. Nice catch, took me decades to land the Ozzie.

Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Only issued in retail magazine packs (fat packs with the hanger hole). They say on back "One of 100." The silver press proofs are easily mistaken with the base cards. This makes the fourth copy I own.

Last edited:

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Haven't seen a post on a while for this so I'll post these here
Some new BGS slabs from the 1998 Select Numbers series
Have more I'll scan in a bit pressed for time due to an upcoming business trip tomorrow
attachment.php

attachment.php

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Found this in a 10 cent box at the show on Sat!

xC5OgTV.jpg

This picture looks like it was the one where pert, or whatever shampoo company he endorsed got the idea, looks like he just took that mask off and gave a slow motion head shake showing all the volume and bounce his hair has,of course keeping a serious man's demeanor

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
Finally found an Illuminator! First one I've seen, still don't have a Luminescent. 1:384 packs retail only, print run has gotta be below 100 I'd think.

Robert1973

Feb 24, 2019
This is a fabulous thread, and I want to collect some 90s inserts. You guys have motivated me! But where do I start? I was going to college and working in the 90s and missed these cards. I watched baseball then, but I don't know the cards.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
This is a fabulous thread, and I want to collect some 90s inserts. You guys have motivated me! But where do I start? I was going to college and working in the 90s and missed these cards. I watched baseball then, but I don't know the cards.

I would highly recommend the awesomeness of Donruss Crusades. Just get a green one of a noname for cheap so you can see the design in person, and if you like it can continue with the $$$ ones.

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
I would highly recommend the awesomeness of Donruss Crusades. Just get a green one of a noname for cheap so you can see the design in person, and if you like it can continue with the $$$ ones.

Add 1996 Select Certified Mirror Blue or Gold to the pickup list...really nice looking in-hand.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Welcome back to the hobby. Man have things changed since the 90's. I came back to the hobby around 2015, after an absence of 20 years, and was astonished - both in both good and bad ways - at what had happened over the years. My $0.02 for awesome 90's cards to look at:

1993 Finest Refractors. Those were the first, and IMHO still the best. Those cards had this awesome glossy liquidy coating that Topps has never quite equaled in subsequent refractors.

1997 Showcase Legacy parallels. That blue foil and the black & white card backs definitely qualify as super sweet. 1998 and 1999 are nice too.

Anything Dufex! I miss Dufex cards a lot.

Robert1973

Feb 24, 2019
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! I grew up in the 80s and collected cards from that decade and then into the very early 90s. During this time, I also developed a taste for 50s Topps cards. Then, off to college and work during college, and I missed most of the cards of the 90s. Around 2000 I got back in for a couple of years and racked up some nice vintage but sold it all and went to grad school. I got married in 2002 and got settled into a career and first child was born in 2006.

Sometime shortly thereafter I started collecting again and have been at it continually ever since. I have mainly collected postwar and prewar baseball, built some sets, broke them up, had a 60s football phase, etc. In the last year or two, I have gone back to some of my 80s cards I loved so much. Also bought some T206 and 50s star cards. However, I keep coming back to the 80s and then I found this thread about the 90s cards. It occurred to me that I completely missed these cards. I mean I watched baseball during the 90s, I just had no money then.

This thread grabbed my eye, and I appreciate your suggestions. I guess it is weird to go from vintage back to 80s and 90s cards, but that's what I am thinking right now.

Members online