Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
Curious as to what you guys make of this 1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold A-rod auction that closed last night? I was watching it, not believing where the price was heading. When I logged in today to see where it ultimately closed, I saw it closed at $10,300 but that the seller relisted the item with a starting bid of $100 and then canceled that auction. Looking a little more into it, that same card was sold by "samantha saints sportscards" for an OBO somewhere below $20k (anyone have Worthpoint?) back on 6/19. Makes me wonder if the seller bought this for WAY more than it's worth and was shilling his "flip" auction so he wouldn't lose money...or...maybe he's affiliated with "samantha saints sportscards" and they were trying to generate new hype over these cards (hype we saw a few months ago when PWCC flooded ebay with 1996 MGs) to try to justify their grossly overpriced inventory.

Thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-SELEC...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

s-l1600.jpg

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
I know everyone is probably wondering why this Stadium Club Quad Auto ended abruptly, well it was me the original buyer of the card for $1,000.00 but paid much more something I would not of if it was on auction. I am ok with it though because I know the $7,500.00, I paid is cheap compared to what I can get for it. As I said I am looking for a different card and when I got close to my goal I would of hooked someone up with a deal here of probably $5,000.oo to $6,000.00 once I got close but now I am looking at no less than $15,000.00 just because I know there are Jeter collectors who would pay that kind of money for it.
The grade seems harsh for what I see as well should have gotten a BGS 9, but we all know they graded more stringent in 2001 when this card was graded. For now, I am going to enjoy this card and let it be known I check completed auctions 3 to 4 times a day if I see one go for a great deal like I should have had I will be sure to send a message to the seller with pictures of the one that sold for $10,000.00 in just a few hours after listing it. I know better now to post till after I get the card now. I felt safe as it was already sent but that’s not safe from what it seems like and as much as I hope its not a member here, I am confident a few of the messages were with low $2,000.00 offers sent from people here. Please remember that this same thing could happen to you and how would you feel to get a card in your Top 10 list only to have it taken away because someone is jealous they missed the card and wants to try and swipe it from a little better deal that is still a steal. I have never done this to anyone that bought a card, but you better believe I will do it for this card now if another pops up again. I do plan to reslab it down the road as the case is scratched up as you can see in the scans.

View attachment 90327
View attachment 90328View attachment 90329

Rule number one and no offense something you should know is never talk about a purchase. I think it’s messed up on people’s part to message the seller after an item has sold but at the same time it’s on the seller as well.

I lost 3 big cards in recent memory I won either on a Friday or Saturday night I didn’t get:
99 Jeter Credentials /9. Guy canceled and made up some bs story. $300

98 Vlad Credentials /2. Guy claimed he lost the box it was in. I gave his story 50/50 shot. $500

97 Gold Embossed Ref Griffey. $400. Just never came, claimed got lost in the mail even though tracking never updated.

I did get lucky once. I bought a psa 10 Gold Embossed Refractor Griffey for $2200. Guy got offered $3500 after I already paid and he still sent it! True integrity.

Also once I hit $89 bin on a Griffey Quantum Leap. He got messages and I got extorted for more money but he at least gave me the chance to still get it so I wasn’t too mad.

Point is it happens a lot but part of the game. I consider it an unwritten rule that you don’t message **** you missed but not everyone has the same stance. I know in basketball it’s 100% worse. If a cheap Jordan gets sold there is a 95% Chance you are not getting it.

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
Curious as to what you guys make of this 1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold A-rod auction that closed last night? I was watching it, not believing where the price was heading. When I logged in today to see where it ultimately closed, I saw it closed at $10,300 but that the seller relisted the item with a starting bid of $100 and then canceled that auction. Looking a little more into it, that same card was sold by "samantha saints sportscards" for an OBO somewhere below $20k (anyone have Worthpoint?) back on 6/19. Makes me wonder if the seller bought this for WAY more than it's worth and was shilling his "flip" auction so he wouldn't lose money...or...maybe he's affiliated with "samantha saints sportscards" and they were trying to generate new hype over these cards (hype we saw a few months ago when PWCC flooded ebay with 1996 MGs) to try to justify their grossly overpriced inventory.

Thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-SELEC...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

View attachment 90752

Saints is always playing games with stuff. He actually does sell a good amount though but this is 100% not real

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014

Thoughts?

View attachment 90752

Saints is always playing games with stuff. He actually does sell a good amount though but this is 100% not real

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
This is a long overdue post. Huge thanks and shout out to [MENTION=2418]George_Calfas[/MENTION] for hooking me up with this card. I player collect 90's inserts of both Pedro Martinez and Mike Piazza, and had each of their 1998 and 1999 Circa Thunder Super Rave #/25 cards EXCEPT the 1999 Pedro. In fact, I had never seen one. Then one day George asked me if I needed it and fast forward (a few years, lol, we both were busy) it finally showed up last year. and then, it sadly took me even more time to scan and post. But here it is!

2YXtEcH

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
another card I wanted to share, as we all remember the great COMC / Donruss Crusade Executive Sample gold rush in early 2011

at the time, I never saw any Mike Piazza cards, and it was widely speculated on who had executive samples made. I assumed Piazza was not included in that set.

8 years later, this card popped up on ebay via PWCC. I really struggled with buying from them but at the same time always wondered whether any Piazza #*** sample cards were ever made. glad to have picked it up, and now I'm on the lookout for the Red and Green parallels!

30EmTgi
30JCxqN

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I've been reading all those threads on BO about PWCC and "conservation", but to tell the truth if they put up an Alomar Crusade promo at auction, I'd bid on it. Hate to say it, but it's true. Would not pay a high premium for it, regardless of the bullsh*t grade, but I would put in a bid for what I thought it was worth and let it ride. So congrats for winning that thing and adding it to a collection where it belongs.

another card I wanted to share, as we all remember the great COMC / Donruss Crusade Executive Sample gold rush in early 2011

at the time, I never saw any Mike Piazza cards, and it was widely speculated on who had executive samples made. I assumed Piazza was not included in that set.

8 years later, this card popped up on ebay via PWCC. I really struggled with buying from them but at the same time always wondered whether any Piazza #*** sample cards were ever made. glad to have picked it up, and now I'm on the lookout for the Red and Green parallels!

30EmTgi
30JCxqN

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Sweet! I found the green and purple canseco executive...i targeted the green due to its superior color matching with the A's uni and equal rarity...i was able to add it after I called it quits supercollecting, and it is one of my favorites!

30EmTgi
30JCxqN

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
^Thanks guys, yep, it's a sweet card, I guess the Purple is the closest I will come to "color matching" with the Dodger blue

good luck to everyone who is hunting these down, I hope my experience gives you some hope!

Dec 4, 2008
IMG_0979.JPG

Thought I would bump this thread with a fun acquisition. This one had been teasing me for a while and the price seemed to keep getting a little better. Then with the 10% eBay bucks I took the plunge! I didn’t start out trying to do it but I have a nearly complete set at this point too. Missing a couple of the keys in Will Clark and Frank Thomas but many of the ones I do have are BGS 9s and 9.5s.

Members online