Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daveyc

Jul 4, 2018
Maine
Hi guys, I have lurked here for a long time and have loved the 90's threads. I have a fairly decent collection of rare 90's inserts and I have a question about one. 1998 crusades are one of my favorite sets. I have the rainbow of my player and an extra green. My question is, have any of you gotten or seen an autographed crusade card? I am considering getting one signed, will they even take a signature of are they too glossy? What do you think?

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Hi guys, I have lurked here for a long time and have loved the 90's threads. I have a fairly decent collection of rare 90's inserts and I have a question about one. 1998 crusades are one of my favorite sets. I have the rainbow of my player and an extra green. My question is, have any of you gotten or seen an autographed crusade card? I am considering getting one signed, will they even take a signature of are they too glossy? What do you think?

Sounds great.. just out of curiosity.. who is your guy.. If you say Griffey..you need to show a pic or it didn't happen.. :)

As for the auto.. I'd pick up a cheap Donruss Crusade and expiriment with various ink pens...

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida

NO! Don't do it!

bighurt

Oct 10, 2017
Maine
Frank Thomas and Roger Clemens are my two main collections, I am thinking about getting a green Clemens autographed. You can get a card signed through his foundation for $25 plus shipping.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A common debate in the collectible world. Unless the card will not autograph due to the materials used, it comes down to personal preference. Many will say that getting a "nice" card signed "ruins" it. I call BS on that and the vintage signed card market will back me up on that 100%.

Think about this; the more desirable a card due to scarcity, the more likely that a signed version will be someone's epic find down the road. I will always choose a better card for a signature, given the chance, but only if it is in person. I have told this "near miss" story before. Duke Snider was a fairly reliable TTM autograph signer when he lived and I had thought long about sending a Bowman RC for signature. I could never muster up the courage to send a (at the time) $1000 card through the mail. Had I been able to meet Duke in person or send the card to a very reliable and trustworthy ***** for signature, I would now have one in my collection. As it is, Snider died and now I am forced to buy one if I ever want one.

Oh what a fool I would have been to get that card signed back then...Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 11.11.07 AM.png and this one still has 2 days to go!

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Get everything signed!

The only thing I don't understand getting signed is a 1/1 card. But even then, I don't think it makes it as WORSE card.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Get everything signed!

The only thing I don't understand getting signed is a 1/1 card. But even then, I don't think it makes it as WORSE card.

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
A common debate in the collectible world. Unless the card will not autograph due to the materials used, it comes down to personal preference. Many will say that getting a "nice" card signed "ruins" it. I call BS on that and the vintage signed card market will back me up on that 100%.

Think about this; the more desirable a card due to scarcity, the more likely that a signed version will be someone's epic find down the road. I will always choose a better card for a signature, given the chance, but only if it is in person. I have told this "near miss" story before. Duke Snider was a fairly reliable TTM autograph signer when he lived and I had thought long about sending a Bowman RC for signature. I could never muster up the courage to send a (at the time) $1000 card through the mail. Had I been able to meet Duke in person or send the card to a very reliable and trustworthy ***** for signature, I would now have one in my collection. As it is, Snider died and now I am forced to buy one if I ever want one.

Oh what a fool I would have been to get that card signed back then...View attachment 84307 and this one still has 2 days to go!

The difference with vintage is A. They didn’t have Auto products like today and most players only had 1-2 cards a year so it made sense to get them autographed. It’s definitely considered ruining a card if you get a higher end insert autoed. People want the original pack issued card. Recently someone posted a 97 SPX Sandberg rainbow with a signed Grand Finale. All the guys I talked too considered that ruined. You guys might be the minority that would still pay good money for an IP rare insert but most I know would consider it a damaged card.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
You are speaking for everyone with a few of your statements and although us collectors willing to buy or trade for aftermarket signatures are probably in the minority, there are still plenty of folks who will buy them.

There are fans on both sides in all markets of card collecting. I personally don't see an issue with a 1/1 being signed, nor an insert, but it all depends on how the card looks for me. Some cards just should not be signed, period. The signature just doesn't work on the design. There are still plenty who would never have a vintage card signed either, thinking the original would be ruined regardless of how rare and desirable a signed copy would become.

I am saying in the end, whether it is a mass produced card or a limited, serial numbered single, there are always going to be much fewer signed copies and thus, they will be that much harder to come by once the player dies and the market is suddenly finite for that item. There will likely always be a market for those cards. Too advise someone that they are ruining a card with a signature as a blanket statement is one opinion that should be kept to one's self.

My personal feeling is that most folks who think a card is ruined by a signature are those that really don't collect signatures passionately. This is not a jab at anyone. Sure, some of these guys probably have certified autographs and maybe will say that they are autograph collectors, but anyone who only collects certified autographs is not a true signature collector in my mind. I say this mainly because this is a concept that was essentially born in the early 90s. How can you pass on probably 75% or more of the history of baseball or all sports for that matter who will never have a certified autograph (no, I am not counting authenticators who render an opinion as being certified, I am talking about manufacturer issued autographs) and still consider yourself a true collector of autographs?

The difference with vintage is A. They didn’t have Auto products like today and most players only had 1-2 cards a year so it made sense to get them autographed. It’s definitely considered ruining a card if you get a higher end insert autoed. People want the original pack issued card. Recently someone posted a 97 SPX Sandberg rainbow with a signed Grand Finale. All the guys I talked too considered that ruined. You guys might be the minority that would still pay good money for an IP rare insert but most I know would consider it a damaged card.

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014

Oh what a fool I would have been to get that card signed back then...View attachment 84307 and this one still has 2 days to go!

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
" but most I know would consider it a damaged card. "
This is correct.

" a 97 SPX Sandberg rainbow with a signed Grand Finale "
You have got to be out of your mind to have a rare card like that signed. ::facepalm::::facepalm::::facepalm::::facepalm::

The only way is that in 97 a collector got it signed and no one knew what a Grand Finale was. Then when that person found out how rare they were they probably puked!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Can someone post a photo of one of these exquisite cards?

Edit: Somehow I got 1998 in my head when searching instead of 97. I am not sure I would get that particular card signed, mainly because there is not a lot of real estate for a signature. Still, if I were a fan of that player, I wouldn't mind one signed anyway.

I wonder if I happen to have any of those? I know I ended up with some of those cards back when they were new.

Last edited:

Members online