Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Oh Super Sweet 90's Inserts.... #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
My set came directly from the Pinnacle. I had several good friend there and I never heard discussion about a variation in this set; other sets but not here. Just my two cents.

Hey George. Do you have the full 100 card set? Is Omar Vizquel and Juan Gonzalez in the finalized set? I know they are "supposed to be" but that isn't always the case with the card companies, especially one that was an online redemption. There has been a few players over the years collector's have asked me about and it would be nice to be able to at least confirm their identity. I've been told Gonzalez definitely exists and that it definitely doesn't exist. All I can speak of is that I've definitely NEVER seen it personally. Any help????

patrick182

Mar 23, 2010
Hello everyone,

This is a really great thread! Thank you pootshwan for making me aware of it. :)

Here are the two variations of the 1996 Pinnacle First Pitch Preview side-by-side. These were scanned the exact same way, at the exact same time. The card on the left is the correct holo-foil version, while the card on the right is the flat-bronze variation.

1996pinnaclefppvarfthom.jpg

Last edited:

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
Hello everyone,

This is a really great thread! Thank you pootshwan for making me aware of it. :)

Here are the two variations of the 1996 Pinnacle First Pitch Preview side-by-side. These were scanned the exact same way, at the exact same time. The card on the left is the correct holo-foil version, while the card on the left is the flat-bronze variation.

View attachment 5568

Dang it! Something else to keep an eye on.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Hello everyone,

Here are the two variations of the 1996 Pinnacle First Pitch Preview side-by-side. These were scanned the exact same way, at the exact same time. The card on the left is the correct holo-foil version, while the card on the left is the flat-bronze variation.

View attachment 5568

Hmmmm. Well if you have them in hand, I guess I'll say I'm wrong. Have you ever seen another player other than Thomas then? I've seen hundreds of FPP's and have had around 100 myself and never seen any variance other than the way I scan them.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I know of a Thomas collector with the Bronze variation; he's an advanced collector and is aware of the variety. It's a legit variation.

I've contacted him (made him aware of this conversation) and asked him to share the variation on this thread.

I believe it is a true variation as well.

Hello everyone,

View attachment 5568

Looks like a printing flaw more than a "variation" (yes, there is a difference)...

Patrick182! Welcome to the boards! We can always use more 90's guys!!!!!!!

patrick182

Mar 23, 2010
Hmmmm. Well if you have them in hand, I guess I'll say I'm wrong. Have you ever seen another player other than Thomas then? I've seen hundreds of FPP's and have had around 100 myself and never seen any variance other than the way I scan them.

Hi clarkfan,

I haven't seen this variation with other players. But then again, I'm never looking for other players. So feasibly, they could very well exist; I'm just not aware of them. ;-)

Last edited:

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Hey George. Do you have the full 100 card set? Is Omar Vizquel and Juan Gonzalez in the finalized set? I know they are "supposed to be" but that isn't always the case with the card companies, especially one that was an online redemption. There has been a few players over the years collector's have asked me about and it would be nice to be able to at least confirm their identity. I've been told Gonzalez definitely exists and that it definitely doesn't exist. All I can speak of is that I've definitely NEVER seen it personally. Any help????

The set is complete......at least mine is. Honestly I am not sure how many made it to the public, and yes there is a back story.....along with how I got mine.

This and other Pinnacle products had numerous printing hues and tints. These were unintended and linked to the printing process. The color differences might be cool but I think the hunt for rare variations has many collector seeing differences in cards which are not truly there......just my opinion.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
and yes there is a back story.....along with how I got mine

Sweet! If it's available to hear, I'm listening. It will help knowing they at least exist though. I have a collector putting the set together that I've sold a few of my extra's to and I told him I just didn't know for sure if all 100 players existed. Thanks man!

Sep 11, 2009
There are at least 2 bronze Thomas', I have the other. I know there was another one of someone else but can't remember who (maybe Griffey) because the seller was selling a bunch of FPP and I remember seeing at least 3 that were bronze in the 10 or so he was selling over the few months he was letting them go. I believe it is the wrong foil type but I still think of it as a variation.

Last edited:

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
These are absolutely a printing misstep, either wrong foil or foil unfinished with a holo finish, but still a recognizable variation that I'm sure many collectors would like to chase.

Sep 11, 2009
The 3rd card was Griffey. I found the picture on worthpoint. Can anyone check worthpoint and see if there was anymore. It was sold 12/01/2011.
1_785d481cbae06c267f857c92b29bf331.jpg

Attachments

• 1785d481cbae06c267f857c.jpg
    1785d481cbae06c267f857c.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

csmtampa

Aug 25, 2009
Bought 2 boxes the other week of 1999 Skybox Thunder. Hit a Super Rave Darren Dreifort /25 and a Bubba Trammell Rave /150

I plan on getting more boxes, loved this stuff as a teenager.

patrick182

Mar 23, 2010
Wow, I need to proof read my posts more often. Yikes! Sorry guys, I'll do better next time. Promise ;-)

patrick182

Mar 23, 2010
Bought 2 boxes the other week of 1999 Skybox Thunder. Hit a Super Rave Darren Dreifort /25 and a Bubba Trammell Rave /150

Strong choice. Congrats on securing a Super Rave!

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle

Strong choice. Congrats on securing a Super Rave!

Super Raves are super cool:
rave1.jpg
rave.jpg

soup.jpg
soup1.jpg

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana

If Wiegel is still buying the Dreifort might sell at a high BIN........great hits though!

Members online